Rhiannon_ln

Paid customs/tax to DHL but item missing from parcel

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice please.

Last week I placed an order with a department store in the USA for 2 items, each costing £331, total package value £662.

I got a notification from DHL that I needed to make the payment for tax and duty in the sum of £141 which I paid by credit card.

When the parcel was delivered and I opened it, one of the items was missing.

I contacted the seller who agreed to send me out a replacement item. Now I have been notified by DHL that I need to again pay the tax and duty on the item - another £76.

I have contacted the seller who had trouble grasping the issue, but eventually said I should discuss with DHL that I have already paid and ask them to waive the fee.

I spoke to DHL who say the only way the fee would be waived would be if the original incomplete package was returned and then the seller sent it back out correctly with both items inside.

Seems like I have no choice but to pay DHL and ask the seller to reimburse me the second tax/duty fee, is that right?

Thank you in advance.

the fact that the 1st item was missing is not DHL's problem.

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

you need to make a represenation to HMRC customs people and show then that the item wasnt sent so they shoudl refund the duty and VAT.

make sure that they pay you and not DHL

this is a problem with companies doing the paperwork for you without asking and then washing their hands of the problems that are usually contributed to by their actions

Thank you. I've asked the seller to refund me the fees, since they declared an item on the customs form that wasnt in the box, the error is theirs. I will approach HMRC if no luck.

HMRC have your money, not the company that sent the goods. they should refund the purchase cost and you use the correspondence and proof of refund to get the tax back.

DHL should do this for you but they cnat be bothered as they get nothing out of ita nd the staff cost involved is too high. it may take a change in govt policy to improve things but dont hold your breath. If everyone did their own customs aperwork there would be no reason for the extra charges to exist but DHL would be drowing in parcels waiting for customs forms to be forwarded.

Finding the right office for the  duty refund will be your hardest job, when I used to ahve to do this sort of thing for my business the people only answered the phone for 2 hours a day.