Used car - clocked and mechanical issues - advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, 

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this long post (I have tried to keep information relevant).

My mother recently bought a used car from a dealer - £5299 (after part exchange taken off).

Paid for partially with cash and partially with a credit card.

Purchase date 17/08/2019.

The advert and subsequent agreement with the dealer stated the car would have an MOT, service and inspection prior to delivery.

The inspection explicitly detailed as below:

'Our Inspection process consists of the following.... Engine compression test - Engine Pressure check - Turbo & Ancillary check - Diagnostic check -  Suspension check - Gearbox Clutch & Drivetrain check - Suspension & Brake inspection - All bearings, Bushes, Tie Bars, Drop links, and mounts are also inspected along with a fluid level check and Instrument functionality check. If anything is required for replacement this is completed within the price of the vehicle.'

Problems (so far):

1) Banging noise from the chassis while driving immediately from date of delivery.

Defective drop link which needed replacing and the mechanic thinks it should have failed the MOT and if somehow the MOT missed it, easily been identified on the inspection as it is one of the specific listed components. £30 job to fix.

2) Engine warning light and glow plug intermittently lighting up with car losing power and going into limp mode.

Mechanic checked the diagnostic computer and subsequently the engine and it was a problem with the turbo.

A £350 job to fix. 

A brand new looking part costing approx. £20 according to the mechanic had been installed fairly recently in an attempt to fix the issue but it obviously hadn't worked.

Again, this should have been identified.

It almost looks as if it had been identified and a poor attempt at a repair made.

3) The diagnostic computer readings used for problem 2 above showed that the odometer display is clocked to the tune of 30,000 miles.

Going through MOT records (obviously sadly too late after she'd already purchased the car) show that between July 2017 and July 2018 the mileage actually decreased by 236 miles.

The subsequent year 2018 to 2019 only increased by 1122 miles.

Given the timeline, I don't think the dealer has tampered with the mileage, at least 2017 to 2018 but possibly the more recent mileage.

Either way, hard to prove.

Nowhere on the advert do they commit to it being 'genuine' or warrantied mileage - they just state the mileage.

This vehicle is clearly a lemon and my mother feels duped.

I have reviewed the consumer rights act sticky, which I think definitely applies to this case, as well as several other posts on this site but I'm still not sure how best to proceed. 

I guess my question is:

do I go direct to the dealership asking, as per the CRA, for a full refund and/or go to the credit card company and/or trading standards? Or someone else?

Again, many thanks in advance.

shouldn't have paid to repair it in the 1st placed

it was the dealerships responsibility under CRA.

2mts down the line

a discrepancy with the odo possibly shows it might have been them

and now you want to hand it back....

pers id keep it if thats the only issue

its very hard to prove who did clocking 

and equally hard to use this as a right to return outside of 6mts.

the dealer didn't guarantee the mileage as you say.

how many miles has the motor done then?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your reply mate.

Droplink got fixed when identified a couple of weeks ago. Turbo and clocking actually only got diagnosed today. She hasn't paid for the turbo to be fixed yet.

It's done about 93,000 on the odometer and about 123,000 on the VCDS/vagcom

so the dealer has repaired stuff FOC since purchase??

sorry its difficult to naildown your story

have you approached them yet regarding being unhappy with it?

and p'haps sorting the turbo issue?

if that was done, would that sort your issues?

relatively low mileage so cant see why someone would bother to wipe 30k miles off...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...