Dubai Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes. FCA debt collection rules. Also likely to breach data protection.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Uncle Bulgaria,

Is there a specific template one could use to highlight the two points you raised? The point about the matter now being under the English statute of limitations and that the FCA does not allow communications through a third party. I recently received a letter out of the blue by one of these crafty DCAs acting on behalf of a foreign bank regarding a debt well over 6 years ago. They're obviously hoping that I know nothing about the 6-year rule, so a well drafted letter would help in dealing with these underground criminals:-)

Thanks for your help.

No template. You just need to state that under English statute of limitations enforcement of debt is limited to 6 years and as the matter is more than 6 years old, under UK financial conduct authority rules that apply to all debt collection activity in the UK, you do not wish to be conducted again.

They will give up eventually.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again UncleBulgaria,

Despite sending the debt collector agency a letter stating that the alleged debt from the Middle East is statute barred, and that any further correspondence from them will be considered as harassment, they have insisted on sending me another letter warning me of the possibility of legal action taken against me in the UK should their client decide to transfer the case to a UK court. They have warned that this will affect my credit rating for 6 years if the judgement were to go against me.

They have not acknowledged my initial letter which I sent by recorded mail and there is evidence that it was delivered. I now wish to take action against this agency since they have chosen to ignore my warning and attempted to escalate the matter. Should I now inform the Ombudsman of this agency and if so, what template can I use to do so?

Many thanks in advance.

You can only really complain about UK based companies contacting you. Do they have a UK office address ?

If not, just ignore. They will go away eventually.

Yes I do have their UK office address.

They are representing a client in the Middle East who I have never ever dealt with before.

Their client has apparently taken on a case for another company in a different Middle Eastern country.

If you write back, they might think you are getting fed up enough to pay them. Perhaps ignoring them now would be the best option.

If this company writing to you is not registered or authorised by an official UK authority, i am not sure who you would complain to. if you are that bothered by it, check to see whether this company based in the UK are registered with the FCA to carry out debt collection activities in the UK.

I've checked and it appears that they are registered by the FCA and have been 'granted interim permission to run consumer credit business'. Their correspondence is bothering me, so should I now proceed with the next step of reporting them?

You could report them to the FOS, saying that they are failing to obide by FCA Debt collection rules and have failed to deal with a complaint made. Say that the FCA require Debt collection to cease on statute barred debt due to limitations act, once they have received a complaint about continuing communications.