Buggsy

Xercise4Less/Harlands/CRS "Admin" fees

I too fell prey to the £25 "admin" fee for being late with my membership fee.

I am in a very tight and unstable financial position and I'd never have signed up to the gym if I was aware of these terms and conditions.

I know it's my responsibility to read the contract, but as there was a recruitment drive at the time I signed up, and the recruiter spent a good half an hour explaining everything to me, I thought he had told me everything I needed to know.

It was several months into the contract when I discovered this, so it was too late to cancel.

I bit my lip and paid the "fee", let's face it - "FINE", without complaint, only to find myself short AGAIN for the following month's payment.

Like I said, money is tight.

This time I complained to Harlands, about their questionable sales tactics and explained how in my personal financial situation, I just couldnt cope.

So, we agreed I would pay the £25 charge over the next 5 weeks.

Then, in a separate phone call/email (I dont remember) I cancelled my membership.

And then... you guessed it... I missed my final membership payment.

I was so mad at myself, AND THEM, I perhaps foolishly ignored the situation; obviously cancelling the DD first.

Now, only 2 months later, the final installment of £7.99 has additional fees from Harlands and CRS increasing it to just over £200!

I called Trading Standards but they said it's my responsibility to read the contract, and they weren't interested in my accusation of them deliberately omitting the stupendous "admin" fees from the oral contract as their standard MO.

It may be immoral but it's not illegal.

They did say I could ask them to justify the £25, however they didn't state to what ends.

I called CRS today and asked them this, and they said the £25 is a justifiable admin fee "cos we say so!"

My point that none of my other service providers charge me like this was lost on him.

I'm rambling.

Sorry.

My point is..

I've been reading the advice given on similar threads, and was surprised to see so many ppl being told to ignore all correspondence.

How much of an impact does all this have on one's credit rating?

I dont have any valuable goods and if they want to waste time and money dragging me through the courts to get an attachment of earnings order (to my benefits) they are welcome to give themselves a headache.

But from reading these similar threads it seems they never take people to court anyway.

Shall I just ignore them from now on?

Are they likely to sell the debt on to someone else?

This site and your feedback is much appreciated.

Wish I'd found you sooner.

Hi Buggsy and welcome to CAG

We need more info and give approx dates/ info if you're unsure :-

1. Date you signed up.

2. Was it a 12 month minimum m/ship or a rolling monthly agreement.

3. Monthly gym fee.

4. Date the gym fee was paid each month.

5. Date you last paid the gym fee.

6. Date you told the gym or Harlands you wanted to cancel.

If you've been reading other threads, you should know for sure that this will NOT affect your credit rating at all, nor will it involve any collectors or bailiffs banging on your door.

Give us brief answers and we'll advise further.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

1. Date you signed up.

"Your first payment will be collected on or just after 22 September 2018 for an amount of £7.99.

Subsequent monthly payments of £7.99 will commence on 22 October 2018 and continue on or just after the same day of each month thereafter.'

2. Was it a 12 month minimum m/ship or a rolling monthly agreement.

"You are committing £7.99 per month for a minimum of 11 months. After this minimum term your membership payments will continue on a monthly basis."

3. Monthly gym fee.

4. Date the gym fee was paid each month.

22nd or first working day thereafter

5. Date you last paid the gym fee.

22/7/19

6. Date you told the gym or Harlands you wanted to cancel.

I have no record of the date I cancelled as I did it over the phone, or maybe on their app.

It seems I did fulfill the 11months that the contract requires, but it's possible that I didn't give them 30 days notice to quit.

I think maybe I was supposed to make one final payment of £7.99 on 22/8/19,

but when I got a message saying that there wasnt enough in my account,

and they were going to hit me with another £25 charge,

I cancelled the direct debit.

I offered them £20 the other day to settle the matter, but they think deserve £200.

I haven't been the perfect customer, but their penalties are just outrageous.

I hope I dont need to stress over this matter.

Its bullying really, and the weak ppl with problems are the ones who get picked on the most.

Thanks for your help and advice.

nothing they can do to you

gyms don't do court

gyms debts do not appear on credit files

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

and have 

ZERO legal powers on ANY debt.

send them a slick132 ROYAL MAIL letter as in many threads here offering the owed £7.99 but NOT any unlawfully admin fees.

give them 14 days to write and accept the offer

if they dont

ignore everyone totally.

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

See an example letter here that you should carefully adapt and send to Harlands :-

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/418126-another-exercise4lessharlands-query/?do=findComment&comment=5009017

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Are you suggesting I send a letter rather than an email? I thought an email would be better because then I have a record of it. Or does it not matter?

Tx again. You guys are great!

so you've not read any like threads then?

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

No, I remember reading this now...

"Get and keep proof of cancelling

If sending a written letter, use Royal Mail Signed For delivery (currently £1.73). Print a copy of the Tracking Report and keep as proof.

Or take 2 copies of the letter into the gym, leave one with gymstaff and get the other copy signed with staff member’s signature, printed name, time and date. This is your proof of delivery to the gym.

Do NOT cancel by phoning the gym.

Do NOT rely on simply telling gym staff you are cancelling. They may not action your request.

Do NOT rely on handing a cancellation letter to staff. We’ve seen countless examples of such letters “going missing”.

Do NOT use the gym’s online contact system to cancel as you’re unlikely to get the proof you need.

Do NOT cancel by email as it's more difficult to prove receipt by the gym."

RM Signed For delivery and send letter to Harlands at their Haywards Heath address.