• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The Smiths v A & L Loan PLP

Guest Battleaxe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Battleaxe

This is going to be interesting, i read the PLP T & C's to make sure I have it right.

We are starting off by asking to cancel it and refund the payments..hahaha. they are going to use every argument in the book to get out of this one and try to hit us with a £10.00 cancellation fee.

We have asked them to check the recording made at the time of the application and to check the questions I asked.

Nothing ventured nothing gained on this one either. If they cancel it means they will have to rewrite the loan ho ho, especially as the A & L have ruined our credit rating.

we also stated that we will be reclaiming all the premiums with contractual compound interest just to make it more fun.

• 1 month later...
Guest Battleaxe

Got two interesting letters from A & L yesterday; one with the Credit Agreement enclosed, yes it is properly annotated (shucks), but the letter was even more interesting in that i sent them a reminder asking for more details undder the SAR and still within the 40days to which they claimas I didn't request these details in the original SAR they don't have to supply them. Now I am wondering if I start the SAR process all over again and request the lot again. I am fter the the emails they have sent in house and the telephone logs and all the other bumph they hold on us.

The other letter claiming they are surprised that we have put the account in dispute as they have no record of us complaining. Hellloooo??? Why have I been writing letters and telling that on the phone that the account is in dispute.

Any advice? Any Views?

• 1 month later...
Guest Battleaxe

Update. Cheeky beggars are wanting £10.00 for the telephne recording of the loan application.

I contacted FOS and ICO by phone regarding this and have sent a letter to A & L regarding this as a courtesy and telling them that formal complaints are being lodged with FOS and ICO.

Have completed the complaint form for FOS, copied all letters to and from A & L finance.

The best bit regarding the Section 77-78, they have sent us a copy of a faxed copy of the agreement.

Guest Battleaxe

On Wednesday evening I get a call. Caller identifies herself as Mrs Woods from A & L. I say who I am after she asks for Mr Smith or Mrs Smith, she then launches in to the security bit. I tell her to tie ho, and remind her she has called me. She immediately says, oh well I will have to write to you.

Letter arrives this morning simply states Balanced owed and arrears Please telephone us immediately on 0870 578 5132 to discuss the outstanding arrears on the account.

So I have written back on the bottom of the letter NO! FOS is investigating. Until the insurance component is removed, the telephone recording supplied and the loan principle and terms renegotiated we will not be contacting you.

Copy sent to FOS.

They are triers, but what part of dispute and investigation don't they understand? They know what we want and they wont play.

We are prepared to sit this one out.

Funny thing, I have a copy of credit file from CallCredit and account showing BB BB AA AA OK OK OK OK OK OK U on it, but the default is not there. I was expecting to see it. Looks like a letter to the CRA regarding this and a notice to be placed on the file.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Battleaxe

Have had a leter back from the FOS. A & L have eight weeks address our complaint. if they don't make contact about this or reply to the FOS, it goes back for the FOS to rule. I think A & L got a shock that I took it to the FOS. They have put a deliquent marker on our credit files, so I think the ICO needs to be notified about this matter. I am not making another payment and haven't since this was put in dispute four months ago over the mis-sold insurance policy.

Guest Battleaxe

Thank you Bigmac,

There is a principole involved here and yes it could be argued we also have to pay on principle, but as they are not prepared to even meet us half way and even if our credit rating is down the pan for the time being this can be repaired with the ruling from the FOS and a notice placed on our credit file, the the ICO can direct them to remove any markers they have placed durign this dispute. MBNA renegotiated the loan I have with them, yes it took three months, but A & L are intransigent. I think the time has come that these banks have to realise they cannot have it all their own way and it was because of the A & L banking side that we were pushed down the path of the loan. They wont part with the recording because there is something on it that their operative told me, he virtually coached me through the application, so when I got the application form back, it is full of mis information and if that is shown in Court, it will show the complete loan was mis-sold not only the insurance component.

If the MIB from A & L are reading this, it wont take much to put two and two together. Apparently A & L have nominated a Mrs Griffin to negotiate with me, according to the letter I have from the FOS. I will not be contacting her, she will have to write to me. I will not negotiate over the phone, I want it all on record for future reference.

A & L have had to pay the FOS £1200.00 this week because of the two complaints I have lodged. never indicate na na nee boo boo to me, I will always up the ante.

Of course if A & L sell the debt, they are going to be in even deeper doo doo, as I have never said I wont pay, I have asked for the loan to be re-written, insurance component removed, the advertised rate of interest, because up until this time we have never had a black mark regarding loans and the A & L current account made the first mistake by not paying the DD when it was due, when the money was in the current account to pay this.

Oh yes, it is about time we stuck for ourselves and break this cartel of money making (usury is a better word).

I have always been an advocate for Credit Unions and one is needed in this area badly. This would break the hold the banks have over people. Even if I won the lottery, I would not acquiese on this one.

My other alternative is to pay at the interest rate they advertised on the principal of the loan and remove the insurance component or just pay the principal component for the original term of the loan until they negotiate.

Whatever way they will have to re-write the loan and if they don't back to the FOS.

Guest Battleaxe

Another attempt by A & L and not what we asked for and I am certain the not what the FOS suggested.

Got a letter this morning from Stephanie Hueston Customer Care Consultant, has she been demoted?

I refer to your recent communication via the Financial Ombudsman. i am very sorry that my response of 29 November 2006 to the issue raised regarding the insurance cover was unsatisfactory

Whilst my investigation shows that there was no error made on the part of Alliance & Leicester, as gesture of goodwill and a genuine attempt to resolve your complaint, I am offering to remove the cover from your loan and place the premium's back on to your account in order to assist with a reduction of arrears of £1300.15. This will amount to a reduction of £251.61, eleven payments of £23.51.

If you are in agreement with this offer, please sign and return the enclosed copy of this letter in the prepaid envelope provided within the next 28 days.

Guess what is going back in the prepaid envelope and certainly not an acceptance.

No mention about the loan having the Insurance and Interest on the insurance removed and the loan renegotiated and putting the payment already made on the loan toward the renegotiated loan.

No mention of the copy of the telephone recording in which after I state three times we cannot buy life insurance, I am assured that I can.

I have to give a C for trying.