Advice needed please

Charlie Rocket
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1638 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My wife and I share two cars.  We are each insured as the main driver on one with the other down as a named driver.

Last year, the car I was main driver on was written off whilst parked at the side of the road.  I was not inside so I claimed the cost of the vehicle from the other party.  I did not go through my own insurance, but I did let them know about it and they supplied a courtesy car.  They told me to go direct to the other party's insurance with a third party claim and they would cancel my own claim, or else it could affect my no-claims and future premiums.  That's really good of them, I thought at the time. I haven't really thought about it since.

Yesterday, I was driving the other car which is in my wife's name with me as named driver.  Unfortunately, as I exited a parking space at the side of the road, I was hit by a car already travelling on the road.  I'm trying to obtain CCTV footage to prove he was speeding but that's a separate matter. Until I do, I take full responsibility as the onus is on me to enter the road safely.  Fair enough.

I've suddenly started panicking as, when my wife took out her policy and added me as named driver, she didn't declare that my car (on a different policy) had been written off last year.  She didn't do this as I was not 'involved' in the accident (I wasn't there) and I didn't claim on my insurance. However, now I'm very worried that her insurer will refuse to pay out and we'll need to personally cover the costs of our repairs and those of the other driver. 

Just wondering if anybody can shed any light on this - am I right to be worried?

Thank you.

Don't think it will be an issue, as claim will be on a third parties record. There may be an incident record that you reported on your policy, but not any claim being paid out.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you. If my claim were to rejected, I don't know what stage that would happen. They've already begun the process of getting my car repaired and I've been sent a replacement car seat voucher so hopefully that's a good sign.

Thanks again, my mind is a bit more at ease.

You have Insurance anxiety. A new health condition, caused by media telling the world that Insurance companies are constantly looking to avoid claims.

Of course it occasionally happens where someone has given wrong information and it has affected the risk being underwritten. But the majority of claims are just handled in a boring no drama way, as Insurers really don't have the resources to mess around too much.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

as far as the insurers are concerned they are 2 different planets so stop fretting.

If  insurance was  doen the German way where the car is insured and anyone can drive it life would be simple but as you area  anmed driver then you are covered, it doesnt matter if you have never owned a vehicle yourself. the main thing to watch is whether her insurance premium rockets as a result of your accident.