Redundancy or relocation?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This might get a bit confusing as asking for someone 

My father in law has just been dragged into a meeting to say his branch is closing, as such he's been given until the 30th to decide if he wants to move

However he works for Andrew page, they want him to move to euro car parts - as such they have said they will send him his p45 and then he gets a new contract

Personally he would prefer redundancy as he's in his 60's and has 12 years service - they have told him its not an option despite all but two staff being told their being made redundant 

The letter is attached 

Any advice? 

IMG_20191016_183812.pdf

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Hi,

if they're redeploying him, it's not a P45 - that's if they are laying him off (with a payment!). So I think they are confused about what they are doing He needs to be really careful not to accept a change of employer and break in service with no compensation! Are both companies the same legal entity?

How far away distance and time wise is the proposed new office, and is the job essentially the same? Trying to work out if it is "suitable alternative employment."

The law is generally designed to keep people *in* work so be aware this may not go the way he wishes....

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

deleted as wrong

Edited by Emmzzi
incorrect advice

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

He's not in a union and can't afford a lawyer 

New job is actually across the road but they are adament that a p45 is needed 

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Ok. I didn't realise the letter was more than one page so I see he has it in writing that they are respecting his continuity of service.

No grounds for challenge I am afraid. Really minor changes; totally reasonable ask.

Thank you 

I thought it might be the case but was hoping otherwise

Please note:

broadly; why would they pay to lay him off, when he will probably retire soon and cost them nothing?

I know but it's the in laws and promised I would ask

It just seems really odd that the entire branch has been made redundant other than FIL and one other 

Please note:

has he asked for the selection criteria?  does his selection seem reasonable given the criteria? Mind you it's only helpful if someone being laid off wants to stay instead.

I think all in all he will end up moving 

The redundancy would have been handy is all

Please note:

As it is moving just across the road and his employment is protected he cant complain. Of course they dont want to pay out to make him redundant BUT if t is continuouse employment then they dont need to issue a P45 if the company he is leaving is a sunsidiary of the newco. What he should get is a new contract and that will be more than just the usual terms of service, it should cover things like any residaul laibilities such as pension rights, occupational diseases etc. If that isnt offered he shopuld see an employment solicitoer to poke them with a stick to get them to do it properly