Hi,

My friend was being bullied by a manager who kept saying that anonymous people were complaining about her, she is asian and the minority where she works, she raised concerns in her meeting that she felt it had something to do with her race and gets treated differently to the rest of her colleagues due to off the cuff comments previously made and was told by her manager that as a minority she has to prove herself more as a minority in life and thats unfortunately the way it is. Following on from this they’re were more anonymous complaints all revolving around her attitude when speaking to the anonymous individual(s), she then had a meeting with hr initiated by her managwe and expressed her concerns, no outcome was given as the hr person said it was informal and a week later she has been told that she is being made redundant, my question is there were no specific incidents mentioned and my friend is still confused exactly how this came about but suspects it’s her manager who has taken a disliking to her, is this lawful?

It's not lawful to dismiss because she isn't working harder etc than other people.

but, can she prove it? does she have evidence of grievances etc? 

Is it an actual redundancy situation or are they just laying her off or failing her probation?

• Thanks 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi Emmzzi,

As far as I know she hasn’t submitted a grievance before, she was going to submit one today as she received a letter inviting her to a meeting which is to discuss making her redundant (I thought the process had been completed), however I advised her to hold fire until I came onto the forum as I’m not sure whether it would be a good idea for her to do so before they have completed the redundancy process, She said she has emails which can prove she is being discriminated against. 

So, I would start here by working out if it is really a redundancy.

https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights

I would also submit the grievance now, stating unfair treatment because of race. Don't include redundancy yet, as they are simply consulting at the moment from what you have said, so it's not an action yet.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

14 minutes ago, Emmzzi said:

So, I would start here by working out if it is really a redundancy.

https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights

I would also submit the grievance now, stating unfair treatment because of race. Don't include redundancy yet, as they are simply consulting at the moment from what you have said, so it's not an action yet.

Hi Emmzzi, thanks for the information 

so is the job really disappearing ? look at what makes a position redundant and see if what they are up to is actually redundancy or just plain old unfair dismissal.

In my time as a union lay rep it was a hell of a fight to get managment to accept that people's actions were motivated by rascism because of how it reflected on them. They had doe all the courses and said all the right things but couldnt bring themselves to loom at what was happening in the organisation . head in sand

Edited by ericsbrother