Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I called the business centre that M&F were located at and they advised me to call BCWM, which I did.   A lady spoke to me and said she didn't have any information to hand so I'd have to email them my request. She asked me to provide as much info as possible including my full info so being vague might not be an option.   What do you think of me putting the following:   Dear XXX   It was lovely talking to you earlier. As discussed, my query is in relation to the following piece of land owned by M & F Finance (Ireland) Ltd, which I believe you manage:   Portwood Court, Great Portwood Street, Stockport, SK1 2ED (Title Number : MAN24187)   I have a possible impending legal matter that I'm investigating and therefore need to know who signed up Civil Enforcement Ltd (CEL) to manage the car park and whether CEL currently has legal permission to enter into contracts on your behalf.   Any information you can provide would be extremely appreciated.   Do you think this is okay? Should I just sign the email with my name but omit my address?
    • Hi there,   I just wanted to seek some advice as I've been sent a "Parking Charge Notice" for temporarily stopping outside the arrivals terminal at Southend Airport to pick up my disabled father, and now they want £60 off of me. I've appealed, which, as I expected, did nothing.  Should I just let the case go to court, as i feel I have a good defense. My Father is disabled due to the fact that he suffers from Peripheral Arterial Disease and Spinal Stenosis and can only walk short distances before his legs begin to seize up and turn to lead. This is why I had to temporarily stop for a short period outside the terminal. It was a cold, dark evening, pouring with rain, I didn't see any signs. My only concern was getting my Mother and Disabled Father out of the cold weather, into the car and off home.'   Any help appreciated, Thanks          
    • On the matter of the shed, I would move to have the lot replaced immediately. Inventory the contents of the shed, take photographs of their condition and then do what you can to deliver the contents of the shed to your parents. If you continue to keep their property – or at least property to which they are asserting title – on your land then this can only help them and be an encumbrance to you. Ideally you would instruct them to come along and collect it – but the easiest thing to do is simply to put it all into the back of the car or van or something and then to deliver it to your parents. Warn them that it is going to arrive and make sure it all arrives in good condition at a time when you know they are going to be in. Once it is taken to their property, photograph it again and inventory it again so that there are no queries later on. It will be a good idea if you have somebody with you to witness what goes on. If your parents have keys to anything else on your property such as the front door or a back garden door in order to access the shed, you should change those locks immediately and write your parents and tell them that the locks are now been changed, that their own keys will no longer fit and that they are not authorised to enter onto your property in any circumstances. However, I suggest that you deal with the contents of the shed first so that there are no suggestions that you are trying to hang on to some property which I suppose is of no interest to you  
    • People usually sell through estate agents near to where the property is located so try searching for 'estate agents near [postcode]' and go through the results to see if one jogs your memory. Likewise for solicitors.
  • Our picks

Recommended Posts

I am hoping someone can offer me some advice concerning an issue with my former landlord, please.

In short, I took possession of a property he was letting out just over ten years ago.

Having viewed and been offered the letting, I accepted and paid the deposit plus the first month’s rent and moved in. Meanwhile, the landlord had gone on holiday and it was not until a week or so after I had moved in that I saw him again when he came around to see if we had settled in OK. I told him all was fine and took the opportunity to ask him where the parking space was located as there is only “pay per hour” on street parking outside and a commercial car park approaching half a mile away. He said there was no parking included with the accommodation. Yet the lease which we had each signed clearly stated that the property included the use of a parking space. He told me that this was an error on his part and that there was no parking space included with the property.

Having already vacated my previous letting and paid the deposit and the rental advance and moved all my effects into the new letting – in addition to not wanting a major fallout with my new landlord (I also had a wife and three children to consider), I erred on the side of caution and did not press the matter.


However, the kids have all grown and flown and we have been obliged to downsize to a one bedroom apartment (with parking, happily). This was nearly three months ago and I have only yesteray received contact from my former landlord’s lawyer stating I still owe him (the landlord) money. I am waiting to learn the grounds for his claim and have requested a full breakdown of that alleged indebtedness from his lawyer but, having been very good tenants who always paid the rent on time and not only took great care of the old property but also did a lot of unpaid work improving it over the course of our ten year residence, I am quite annoyed to be treated so meanly.

Regardless of whether or not it transpires that I do, unwittingly, owe this man money I am wondering whether or not I might have a counter claim against him for the false representation of his lease and perhaps even be compensated for the ten years I spent paying for on street parking as well as putting up with the daily (often hourly) inconvenience of that.


If someone could advise me, I would be very grateful.


Thank you.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The time to sue / ask for rent reduction started when you became aware of the issue (that is 10 years ago). You are absolutely unable to claim for anything for more than 6 years ago, as it is 'statute barred'.


As for claiming anything within the last 6 years, if you have left it this long, expect the LL to claim that you accepted the error. If you wished to claim, you should have done so well before now. Expect them to claim that you accepted it, and are onl;y now claiming different as a result of their claim. You'd then have to persuade a judge otherwise.

Edited by BazzaS

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply. It's pretty much what I expected and feared I would be told.


It is true that, ever one for a quiet life, I would not have raised this issue of the parking space were it not for the landlord's unreasonableness during the very latter part of our tenancy (once he had issued us with a notice to quit, so as to re-rent the property out for a higher rent) and now, since. I was hoping our last tenancy was now behind us, content to put it all down to experience and just get on with my life. However, I overlooked quite a number of breaches on the landlord's part (including legal ones) during our tenure because, being in a "seller's market" and needing somewhere to live, we were subject to a Hobson's Choice scenario. And that is why I did not press for redress, not because I was a willing party to the situation. Am I being overly optimistic in hoping such might be taken into consideration?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



You took possession of the Property in 2010 but when did you end the Tenancy Agreement?


Did you give them the required Notice to end your Tenancy?


You mention you paid a Deposit in 2010, was this returned when you ended the Tenancy?


You need to know exactly what they are claiming money owed is for and surprised that solicitors letter does not mention this.


Send the Landlord a Subject Access Request (SAR) asking for 'ALL DATA'  (ensure to send a copy to the Solicitor acting for them as well. 

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

All pretty much as I suspected. Never mind.


Thanks to everyone who took an interest in my situation and particular thanks to those who offered help and advice.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...