• Tweets

• I've an idea that what this is is clearing out stock of old tech panels as there have been signs of major breakthroughs in solar tech - inc what is effectively solar paint   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • ROFL - says a minister of the government that lets its politicians promote their agendas unchallenged and well paid on the UK's version of Russia Today translated UK deputy PM launches global push to mask their election rigging "The UK is following Russia and China on a government minister and MP led process to get paid vast sums to put our message out to the plebs unchallenged, funded via right wing billionaires, AI from foreign states, and misuse of taxpayer money.   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021.   npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279.   The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills.   I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this.   EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.    I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Car Cash Point 3 LBL 2 repo's now 3rd one looming

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies in advance for the long post... but I’m desperate now. 

I stupidly took out a log book loan a while ago thinking it was my best option.

After struggling with my finances and a couple of missed payments the vehicle was repossessed.

I managed to get the money together to pay my arrears and the £300 or so pounds they added on for the repo and get back on track. 

After a couple of months I got a text (well, bombarded with texts) about topping my loan up which, again stupidly, I decided to do.

It was actually a second loan running alongside the first. 

Again I fell into arrears and the car was repossessed, again adding the £350 or so fee.

I took out another loan in order to Pay get the vehicle back. 

I have again fallen in to arrears and I have attempted to lodge a complaint with the company, to which they have not really acknowledged and not advised me of the FOS timescales.

I took this to the FOS who advised to go back to the company and if I wasn’t satisfied go back to them.

I have submitted a further complaint to them this evening. 

I believe I have been let down on several points, affordability, granting of a second loan when I had struggled with the first, unfair repo charges, ignoring my attempts to make reasonable repayment proposals, extortionate fees to release my vehicle and pay for the repossession charges, amongst many other issues. 

My main problem however is that I have today been contacted by the repo company who have advised they have been to my address on numerous occasions and have not sighted the vehicle.

The chap told me today to speak to the lbl company to come up with a solution this week or they would report the car stolen to the police in order to have me arrested and the vehicle seized. 

My mental health has taken a hammering over this (it wasn’t great in the first place, hence the reckless financial decisions) and I fear this could push me over the edge. No car, no job, no house. I know I’ve only got myself to blame but any help would be hugely appreciated.

The loan is via bill of sale however I still have the actual log book. 

many thanks 

So - Affordability is a prime concern but with LBL - Because they are secured - It is very hard to do a IRR Lending complaint unless they seriously overvalued the car. 

What are the amounts they are talking to you about? (Figures)

If there treatment of you has been detrimental and caused sever mental health issues then you can complain to the FOS and also you will be afforded time to come up with a repayment plan. 

Where is the Vehicle stored at the moment?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

thats the point of a LBL…. they DONT need any court involvement to enforce it..

but just remember the repo guy is not a bailiff, must hold the DN and a copy of the stamped and correctly registered BOS.

they can't take the car from a private drive/property.

as long as the bill of sale has been correctly registered 

there is quite frankly stuff and all you can do to prevent losing your car.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?452164-Log-Book-Loan-Guidance&p=4791345#post4791345

from my notes. [prob same as above!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

logbook loan repossessions are not always legal, 
if linked to a CCA agreement or if the BOS has not been registered with the high court.
If BOS registered then yes they can reposses, 
but have to show registration and debt details.

Registration

A bill of sale can only be enforced if it was properly registered.
 Since this is an expensive and difficult process, 
it is rare that this actually happens. 

However, failure to register the bill of sale renders it void,
and so renders any security on goods void.
 Consequently, before allowing any creditor to gain possession of your goods, 
ask to see a registered copy of the bill showing the supreme courts seal.
 Also a valid DN must be issued.

If linked to a CCA then can not reposses if on private property without a court order 
( but can if on public road and under a third has only been paid ).
Over a third, they need a court order wherever it is.
check for...[BOS]
Not Registered With The High Court In 7 Days
not registered AT ALL!
Credit Agreement Details Not On The Bill Of Sale

You should also check that the name on the registration documents 
matches the name of the person who signed the BOS

On occasions these cars get sold on several times

how to check:
email:[email protected] ov.uk.[no spaces]
ring:020 7947 7772 
write:
QB Enforcement Section, 
Room E15-E17, 
Royal Courts of Justice, 
Strand, London, WC2A

ideally you need the BOS number
however
they can search by the Reg Number

also see:
http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/firm-types/consumer-credit/consumer-credit-research/logbook-loans

Do you have a problem with a Logbook Loan?
 With Citizens advice estimating that over 60,000 of these loans were taken out in 2014 alone
 an increasing number a causing severe difficulty and distress for borrowers.
 In this guide we explain what a logbook loan is, and how they work. 
 What you can do if you have a repayment problem,
 and what you can do if you have unknowingly bought a car with a logbook loan attached.
 Three golden rules for Logbbok Loans
 1)No matter how desperate you are to purchase a car, or raise cash, 
NEVER consider this type of Finance

These loans are designed purely for the benefit of the lenders. 
With APRs of 400+%, little consumer protection, and aggressive debt collectionicon practices
 they should be avoided at all costs.
 2)When purchasing a used car from whatever source, private or trade, 
ALWAYS do a FULL GENUINE HPI CHECK costing around £20, 
these come with a guarantee against any form of existing finance, including lbl's
 3)If you have any problem with a Logbook Loan, 
your first step is ALWAYS to check that the Bill Of Sale has been registered
 with the High Court. You can do this here-
 to check if registered
 Contact Details
 QB Enforcement Section
 Room E15-17
 Royal Courts of Justice
 Strand
 London
 WC2A 2LL
 DX 44450 Strand
 Telephone: 020 7947 7772
 Fax: 0870 324 0024
 Email: [email protected] ov.uk
 You may read on the internet that your BOSicon will be void if witnessed by your lbl lender
 Since the OFT( as was) lost the attestation case on appeal by 2 to1 this is NOT the case
 full details here http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...method=boolean
 Logbook loans are a form of credit dating back to the Victorian era, 
derived from the 1878/1882 Bills Of Sale Acts, with terms and conditions to match in many cases.
 Problems are many fold from extortionate charges by lenders for calling a customer, 
to repossessions where owners have been left at the side of a busy road,
 unable to get to work, and even sexual harassment via debt collection.
 Poor practices abound, unsurprising when there is no incentive for lenders 
to ensure their customers understand the terms or can afford the repayments.
 In fact the very nature of this form of finance could be seen to encourage bad behaviour
 – why carry out affordability checks if a single missed payments means you get to keep 
 the money and takeaway the car?
 How does it work?
 When you take out a logbook loan you will be asked to hand over your vehicle’s logbook 
or vehicle registration document, which proves you are the registered keeper of the vehicle.
 You’ll also have to sign a credit agreement and a form called a ‘bill of sale’. 
This means the lender now owns your vehicle on a temporary basis 
but you are still able to use it so long as you meet all loan repayments. 
These documents are recognised by law in England, Wales and Northern Ireland 
but are not used in Scotland.
 The law only recognises a bill of sale if the lender registers it with the High Court. 
If it’s not registered, the lender must get a court’s approval to repossess your vehicle. 
You should check if the bill of sale is registered.

What you should do if you have a repayment problem
 1) check your Bill Of Sale is registered as above
 2) the lender must send you a default notice which complies with the requirements of s87(1)cca1974
 allowing you fourteen clear days to remedy any default (which can be after one missed payment)
 You should , if your lender will not negotiate a reduced payment, straight away on receipt of the dn
 look to take out a time order. This gains you the protection of the court, which can look into the overall loan--

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...t/Default.aspx

What you can do if you have purchased a car with an existing logbook loan
DO NOT EVER CONFUSE A REPO FIRM [powerless] WITH A COURT BAILIFF!!

If you receive a letter threatening to repossess the car or a Court enforcement officer 
turns up at your home to take it, you may not be able to stop them. 

but if its a std car recovery firm, THEY HAVE ZERO LEGAL POWER 

and are NOT BAILIFFS ...FILM THEM ON YOUR PHONE!!
•ask to see proof of their identity and their authorisation to take the car
•ask to see the bill of sale document – they have to show you this if you ask for it
•if you feel threatened by how an enforcement officer is behaving, call the police
•ask for written confirmation of what has been taken
•get the contact details for the logbook loan company.
If the lender has taken your car, you can try to get it back 
and reclaim your money from the seller. 
However, this can be a costly and time-consuming process and is not guaranteed to succeed.
 If you want to get the car back, you could pay off the outstanding loan 
and then take the person who sold you the car to court, to try to get your money back.
 If you just want to get your money back, you can take the person who sold you the car to court. 
 Always get independent advice before you decide to take someone to court.
 Some lenders are members of the consumer credit Trade Association (CCTA), 
which has a code of practice covering logbook loans. 
The code of practice says the lender must register the logbook loan on a register, 
so it will show up when you carry out a history check on the car. 
It also says they must obey certain rules when they repossess a car.
 If you are unhappy with the way a logbook loan lender or its enforcement officers have behaved, 
find out whether they are a member. If so, you can complain directly to the CCTA.
However this code is regularly ignored
http://www.ccta.co.uk/content/our-code.aspx
 Finally both the Financial Conduct Authority and the Law Commission are investigating 
Logbook Lending  and the associated legislation, 

full details here--
http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/firm-typ.../logbook-loans
http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/...ls-of-sale.htm
for anyones info, you must act immediately on receipt of a default notice
What you should do if you have a repayment problem
 1) check your Bill Of Sale is registered as above
 2) the lender must send you a default notice which complies with the requirements of s87(1)cca1974
 allowing you fourteen clear days to remedy any default (which can be after one missed payment)
 You should , if your lender will not negotiate a reduced payment, straight away on receipt of the default notice look to take out a time order. This gains you the protection of the court, which can look into the overall loan--
https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...t/Default.aspx

Bills of Sale Act does not apply in Scotland,
just to reassure you from the Money Advice Service *Taking out a logbook loan in Scotland*

In Scotland, ‘bills of sale’ cannot be used as security and are not legally binding.
  Lenders in Scotland are therefore likely to be operating under different credit arrangements.
  If the logbook loan is a ‘hire-purchase agreement’ or a ‘conditional  sale’, your consumer rights and protection under the Consumer Credit Act  1974 will apply.
worth a read
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?472038-ACF-THe-funding-Corp-illegal-repo-now-DCA-Chasing-loan&p=4972172#post4972172

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks so much for the replies. 

I am a bit lost at the moment with regards to what has been paid and what is outstanding.

Having to pay for the repossession twice confused things a bit for me as to what has been paid towards the loan and what has gone to the repo company. 

I have requested a breakdown of what has been paid and what is outstanding, alongside a copy of the bill of sale. 

I haven’t made a payment for a while but I have sent them a message this evening advising I have been in touch with the FOS and a brief outline of my points.

I have also appealed to their better judgement with regards to pausing the repossession action whilst a complaint is assessed, and that if a fair repayment plan can be reached I am happy to resume payments. 

Fingers crossed but not holding much hope at the moment. 

can I just point out some glaringly obvious things that might not be apparent to you.

the repo guys ARE NOT BAILIFFS

they have ZERO LEGAL POWERS to do or enforce anything.

they can SCARE YOU all they like by saying things like you can be arrested and it will be reported to the police

but THERE IS STUFF ALL THEY CAN DO ABOUT ENFORCING WHAT THEY TELL YOU.

esp if the car is on PRIVATE LAND or locked away. [hint hint]

best idea is to FILM THEM on your mobile phone and make sure you ID who the company is and their vehicle and the powerless operators of the truck that turn up. record everything they say.

they MUST possess a copy of the default notice the original creditor has issued [who is??]

they MUST posses a copy of the bill of sale and it must be stamped by the court within 7 days of its date.

and even THEN , you DO NOT HAVE to hand over the car, regardless to all their willy waving.

get an SAR running to the OC.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Log book loan help 3 loans same co. 2 repo's now 3rd one looming

Quick update, woke up to a text from the repo guy that threatened police sent at about 5:30am informing me the vehicle had been taken and to contact CCP to arrange payment to get it back within 14 days. 

When he called me on Monday he did say I had until the end of the week to sort it, hence furthering my complaint to the FOS and requesting they pause action until a satisfactory compromise had been reached. 

Not to sure where I stand now, or what leg I have to stand on!

not a lot you can do if its was on public street sadly.

who is this LBL Co.?

and they

oh god not that lot.

and they

Thanks for this.

Would this suggest that the repo fees I’ve paid so far are unreasonable, and should actually count towards the repayments towards the loan?

Little bit lost with everything and the stress at the moment.

Sorry if I’m coming across as a bit dim, just trying to work out options and not beat myself up for my stupidity. 

they cant charge repo fees

either get them refunded or take off the balance yes.

you need to seriously get all these bills of sale

I cant understand why you have not got copies of everything.

its a legal requirement for them to send/give them to you

esp the bill of sale - that's an important court document that must be registered at the court and stamped.

have you not got ANY of the agreements you signed?

sorry but it looks to me like this IS a classic case of repeated irresponsible lending

did you complaint about this under ALL the agreement numbers or just one loan?

and they

The complaint is about both, I asked for the bill of sale on Tuesday alongside a breakdown of what has been paid and their charges. Then asked for a full SAR yesterday which they said they would send to me in due course. 

I have copies of the agreements I signed on the day but not the bos this was never supplied. 

With regards to a previous message about overvaluing the vehicle, the loans were only about £1000 or just over between the two of them, however this would put the fees well over the cost of the vehicle when factoring interest rates, which figures should I be looking at in this regard?

Thanks for all your help, the correspondence I’m getting seems to be being drip fed so will update as and when I can. Hopefully someone else might see all this and benefit from my mistakes!

please scan up all the agreements to one multipage PDF

read upload

and they

Attached. Sorry about the delay. 

The first few pages seem to have gone out of sync when uploading. Sorry about that. 

As yet no reply from the company to advise of how much the arrears are to release the vehicle. 

edit: this is the second load agreement can’t seem to find the first I think it may still be in the car... I imagine it will be pretty identical though except it was £500

convert-jpg-to-pdf.net_2019-10-17_22-19-27_2-compressed.pdf

Edited by Middletonian

urm… 

pers I think that agreement is unlawful under numerous points:

£2778.64 for a £660 loan over 156 weeks..crikey!! is that 300% int rate allowed over such a long period [3yrs!]?

6.4.3 costs associated with ENTERING upon the address ...NO they CANNOT DO THAT THEY ARE NOT BAILIFFS

3.3. after issuing a default notice they can take possession of the vehicle without going to court - WRONG!! not if on private property

cant see a court stamp on that bill of sale. 

can't see dated signitures by you, them or a witness on it!! on the same BOS page 

5.1.1 must have an MOT ..cant see that in BOS rules!!

5.1.2 may enter the address at anytime to inspect the goods! - no cant see that in the BOS rules!!

all below 6.1.5 - they or their agents may enter at remain at any address ….

and they

This morning I have received a ‘breakdown’ of the fees however it does not show how much has already been paid in respect of bailiff fees and recovery admin fees. I have asked for this to be clarified as I think it is hidden within the other payments. Still no BOS after two or three requests. 

Due

Paid

Balance

Principal

£556.74

£183.51

£373.23

Interest to

£1,002.48

£963.20

£39.28

Bailiff Costs

£450.00

£450.00

Recovery Admin Charge

£150.00

£150.00

Late Pmt Fees

£324.00

£324.00

H.P.I. Alert Charges

£10.00

£10.00

£2,493.22

£1,146.71

£1,346.51

Due

Paid

Balance

Principal

£660.00

£239.99

£420.01

Interest to

£1,370.94

£637.31

£733.63

Late Pmt Fees

£444.00

£444.00

£2,474.94

£877.30

£1,597.64

Have court bailiffs been involved ever?

Late fees

recovery admin fee

are unlawful get reclaiming

and they

No never had any contact from court bailiffs. 

I have submitted a further complaint to them with regards to irresponsible lending.  

I have cited that upon taking both loans out they only looked at three months bank statements each time.

One statement showed a failed payment to another credit company.

Had further due diligence been done they would have seen that at the time I was surviving on credit and had several defaults. 

I will also add to it the charges as you mention.

In the above table would you say the bailiff costs, recovery admin and late payment are all unlawful?

Thanks again for your invaluable input. 

Naughty then to claim powerless recovery agents are bailiffs

reclaim that too

and complain recovery truck men are not BAILIFFS

and they

Honestly dont think that bos is in the correct format and is void

and they

they cant rely upon it so it falls back to the CCA loan agreement and its T&C's only

plenty of logbook loan and bill of sale threads to read here on CAG.

dx

and they