• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Drowning in Debt and very worried for my elderly friend

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Brassnecked, yes it was stipulated in CCA Section 77 that the £1 must not be used against the debt - letter used from CAG library

N/Wide wrote back, kept the £1 and stated that the letter had to be signed (which it doesn't have to be signed) and asked for £1. 

A second letter was sent with my friend sqwiggling his signature and pointed out that they had already received the £1. 

To date,. he has not received a copy of his credit card agreement. 

As two requests have been sent for a copy of the agreement, I am at a loss as to what to advise him to do about getting a copy.

Hi Andy, 

he has three N/Wide debts, the PDF in post 42 is for his loan. 

He has not received the agreement for his credit card with N/Wide as mentioned in the paragraph above. 

Then he has an overdraft, but the advice on the forum was not to worry about the overdraft at this stage.

• 2 weeks later...

For what purpose.??

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Look at the screen shot......

A screen shot retrieval of application is not a copy of the agreement .....reconstituted or the original.A set of terms and conditions does not satisfy a request under section 78 of the CCA 1974...

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi DX100uk

I asked so that I could try and explain it to my friend  as I didn't understand the agreement.

Hi Andyorch

Thank you for explaining, I can now show him what you have written.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He is going on his appointment to the Mental Health Team on 17 December so he will ask if his doctor will complete the Debt and Mental Health form.

He has sent yet a third request under Section 78 for a copy of his N/Wide credit agreement and he has still not received it from them.  The first request they put the £1 postal order against the credit card debt, a second letter was sent explaining all this and to send a copy of the agreement, yet again this was ignored.  A week ago a third request was sent and they still haven't  sent a copy of the agreement.  I am beginning to think they haven't got a copy of the agreement.

I will update in due course.

Thanks

so i'm i.

I asked the q so I could give you an appropriate response as I guessed that was the reason but wanted to be sure.

andy's already answered so … you should be ok

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi everyone

Yet another issue has arisen. I'm at my friend's now and he received a DEFAULT letter yesterday dated 28.11.19. from N/Wide Credit Card when he had only missed two payments - the third payment was due 01.12.19.  I was under the impression that a Default Notice is only issued after 3-6 payments had been missed.  I did Google this and the guidance is from the Information Commissioner's Office.

Also to add insult to injury, this is the very debt he has written to N/Wide to request a copy of the agreement.  Without seeing the agreement, we don't know if it's enforceable.  They just keep ignoring his requests, they even put the £1 postal order against the credit card debt.

Please, any suggestions of how to proceed in the matter.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

they don't 'have' to abide by the guidelines re Defaulting , before sending a default notice, which must be in a specific format and give a date better than 14 days away to rectify the breach listed.

the fact that they have or don't the agreement is irrelevant to issuing a DN

and they

Okay DX thanks for answering that one. 

With regard to  the credit card agreement we can't make them send a copy, so it appears he is stuck on that one.  I can't advise him any further as how to obtain a copy of the agreement when he's asked for it 3 times.

Then NW get no money till they comply

ball i s in their court

and they

very badly.

Nw are one of the very few original creditors that do do court on rare occasions and don't like selling debts to DCA's.

but in this instance they wont go near a courtroom door and I expect sell it on.

until either of those happened i'd tell him to sit on his hands with regard to this debt.

and they

• 1 month later...

Happy new year Cagers,

I want to update you on my elderly friend.  Save reading this whole thread, he's on disability benefits and has multiple debt with Barclays and Nationwide.

Mid December he went to see his psychiatrist who completed a Debt and mental health evidence form and the psychiatrist gave him a very powerful letter about his fragile state of mind to send to ALL his creditors  even ones he is managing, which I think is only fair advice.  Only problem is one of the creditors who he is just about managing holds his current account (the current account is in credit so he can close it when he can get his basic bank account up and running) where his benefits are paid into and if he misses any payments they will just take them at source.

He has applied for a basic bank account and was advised not to send out the Debt and mental evidence form and the supporting letter - he's also got an income and expenditure with a Nil income available per month after paying priority debts. The outreach CAB helped draw up this document and advised that until the basic account is up and running and all his benefits have been transferred, not to send out the psychiatrist's letter, mental health form and income and expenditure as it could jeopardise his current bank account and his benefits would be swallowed up.

This week he had confirmation that he's been accepted for a basic bank account and if the need proof of ID or address they will ask for it.  They should have it anyway as they do a 'soft credit check', Co-op basic account. 

In late December N/W  sent him a 'Cooling off period' letter and an income and expenditure form to complete, it said they would not be in touch for 30 days.  The CAB advised to use the income and expenditure the CAB had prepared, but to wait until the basic bank account was up and running. 

Also after 4 letters, eventually under the CCA Section 78, N/W after taking the £1 postal order and putting it against his credit card debt, decided at the beginning of January to send out a book load of paperwork containing the credit card agreement.

Today a large man turned up dressed in black with a clipboard rings his doorbell.  My friend has a Ring device and answered it on his phone, the guy said he was from Excel and that he wanted to speak to Mr John XXX, my friend couldn't understand hardly a word he was saying apart from Excel, eventually the guy pushed a letter through his letter box.  John won't open the letter, so I've reassured him that he did the right thing in not opening the door, and if he turns back up to just ignore him.  I will pop round later or tomorrow.

Who are Excel, given that B/Card are quiet and N/W have given a 'cooling off' period, John owes nothing to anyone else.

Any advice please.

debt advice councillors I bet

yes totally ignore.

dx

and they

Had a look at his Ring video recording and it was Excel, the envelope ask for John to call him re N/W.  I've told him not to phone and that he did the right thing.  Do you think N/W has already sold the debt on as it's still on 3-4 months from the last payment. That's the thanks for him banking with them for over 20 years.

Cause not

He'd get lots of letters before than and a notice of assignment

and they

Oh, sorry I don't know what the bank's timelines are or anything about assignments of debt. 

So as it's not been sold and N/W told John he had a 30 day cooling off period, why on earth would a debt collector come out? 

I'm so confused myself, don't know how people manage with these financial institutions, thank goodness for this forum.

seriously don't worry about it all.

it's all a dca can do..create worry.

dx

• Like 1

and they