British Gas threatening bedridden disabled customer - discrimination ***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My son is chronically disabled suffering from Duchenne muscular dystrophy. He is bed ridden and requires 24 hour care for all his need. 

He lives independantly and his carers stay with him all the time. The problem is the other day bailiffs turned up at his door thretening to break the door down to fit a pay as you go gas meter.

I have tried to find out what has happened and it seems his gas bill has not been paid and they want to install a pay as you go meter to9 recover the back monies. He is unable to access cash or fill the meter up, his carers are not allowed to do it. The bailiffs say they will be coming back and force entry, the door to his property is a very expesive auto controlled entry door and the damage to this may come to many thousands.

He obviously needs to settle the bill but is on benefits so has very limited income, due to his condition heating is vital to his well being I am at a loss as to what my next steps are or what my options are.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Please can you tell us what company you are dealing with.

Were these really bailiffs – and was in a court order – and did you get any documentation?

3 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Please can you tell us what company you are dealing with.

Were these really bailiffs – and was in a court order – and did you get any documentation?

It is british gas, they claim to be bailiffs and it does seem to be from the court, I am going there wednesday to see the document apparently it is a warrant, also he can not oipen his post so was not aware of this

Have you tried to contact British Gas about this? It seems very heavy-handed and it seems to me that somebody simply hasn't understood what the situation is. Also, I would suggest that you contact Muscular Dystrophy UK

https://www.musculardystrophyuk.org/about-us/contact/

020 7803 4800

And also the

disablity law service

0207 791 9800

I think that it will be important to distinguish between two separate issues. One issue is the arrears which I suppose really is just a financial matter. The second issue is the fact that a court order has been obtained and that you need somebody to intervene and to get British Gas to realise how absurd their actions are in the circumstances.

I also think there could be a disability discrimination issue here if they are proposing to fit a payment meter that is not accessible to the customer.

• BankFodder changed the title to British Gas threatening bedridden disabled customer - discrimination

British Gas say to all 0333 202 9802 - - but this may well be some standard number and you will have to work through the options.

It's not very satisfactory.  They say that they have a vulnerability unit - but they aren't able to give me a direct number for it.

email [email protected]

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Also you could send out this tweet - 

32 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Have you tried to contact British Gas about this? It seems very heavy-handed and it seems to me that somebody simply hasn't understood what the situation is. Also, I would suggest that you contact Muscular Dystrophy UK

https://www.musculardystrophyuk.org/about-us/contact/

020 7803 4800

And also the

disablity law service

0207 791 9800

I think that it will be important to distinguish between two separate issues. One issue is the arrears which I suppose really is just a financial matter. The second issue is the fact that a court order has been obtained and that you need somebody to intervene and to get British Gas to realise how absurd their actions are in the circumstances.

Thank you I will contact the law service

Complaining on social media can be effective. On Twitter, you can contact @BritishGas or @BritishGasHelp – copy @MoneyTelegraph into your tweets so we are aware of your issue.

08000728625 british Gas Priority Careteam.

ring the above number

he should already been registered on the priority team

if not do so

they well sort things out for you.

so how did the gas get paid prior to this 'hiccup'??

seems strange that this has suddenly happen

what is the history of this account?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've just received an email from British Gas with a couple of reference numbers. I have forwarded the email to you and I suggest that you respond to them with the information they are looking for in addition to any other enquiries you have been making.

Please confirm that you have received the email.

• 3 weeks later...

An update. I emailed BG as recommended and I recieved a call from them shortly after. They were very sympathetic to my sons condition and agreed a porepayment meter would be completely unsuitable. They have also p;ut ime in touch witha charity that will help my son on his utility bills.

I have to say I was impressed with the help British Gas gave and I thank all of you for giving me a steer in the right direction.

Thank you

:thumb:  Many thanks for the update...thread title amended.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• AndyOrch changed the title to British Gas threatening bedridden disabled customer - discrimination ***Resolved***