Help for Landlords

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1659 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My elderly parents have rented a house to a lady and her aunt for approximately 15yrs.

The lady was the original tenant who after a short period of time asked if her aunt could move in and share the rent, buy making her contribution in her entitlement to housing benefit.This was agreed and for many years things have ticked along, although the tenant has on many occasions allowed the paid proportion of the rent get into arrears.

The house is now in need of some repairs,

the tenant has been pointing this out for quite a while,

but due to some illness my parents have been slow to carry out the work. 

The tenant has now engaged a solicitor who is writing to my parents and making demands. 

My parents are quite willing to make the necessary repairs but the tenant has been difficult and refused access to workmen on 2 separate occasions.

The workmen were there to give estimates for necessary jobs.

Her argument was that they didn't have ID (Fair enough) but on both occasions they were accompanied by my father (an elderly sick gentleman) who had engaged them.

The solicitor continues to write with complaints and the tenant is becoming increasingly non compliant.

It's a bit of catch 22 and I feel there may be a hidden agenda...

(why complain about repairs and then refuse to allow those people who going to carry them out in to assess the job)

There is no current tenancy agreement, and the rent is in arrears (she has been underpaying for a period of approximately 6 months) 

During the summer, she complained about blocked gutters and asked if she got the work done herself could she deduct the cost from the rent.

this was agreed subject to a receipt being supplied.

She has since refused to supply the receipt. 

The solicitor has now stated that she is reporting my parents to the landlords licensing association and the local council. 

They have been given a list of repairs, (uploaded). 

Given that the tenant is being so difficult and that they are more than willing to do what is necessary it's beginning to feel a little like harassment.

They want to engage a solicitor themselves and I'm wondering how necessary it is.

Do they need to prepare themselves for legal action?

Are all of the repairs their responsibility?  (difficult to have the cash when the rent is in arrears)

How should they respond? 

I've uploaded letters sent but the solicitor is also emailing fairly constantly with over dramatic complaints about the slightest little thing....

My parents are both in ill health and very worried about this matter

images posted directly to screen removed

please read upload

and use one multipage PDF.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Did they Sign a Tenancy Agreement when they moved into the Property 15 yrs ago? (do they have a copy)

Could you also give us a bullet point list of each repair that is out standing with date reported by tenant and action taken to date?

Do they have an Electrical Safety Certificate for the Property?
Have they fitted Smoke Alarms in the Property?
Have they carried out a Gas Safety Inspection? (only if Gas in the Property)
When was the last time they gave notice and arranged to Inspect the Property?
Are they Registered with the Local Council as a Private Landlord?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group