Sub-standard car service causing problems

paulfoel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had my car services at local garage. 

Drove 100 yards and car broken down. Someone had forgotten to reconnect the diesel feed. Diesel all over the road, inside the engine bay etc. Anyway, they sorted that (thought it was funny!)

Got home. Car engine seemed louder than normal. Checked - the air filter cover had been rammed back on, forced down, and screwed back on wonky. Massive gap - hence the noise.

All I've got from them is "bring it back in".

Mega hassles for me to do this. I dread to think what else they've done wrong with this service based on what I've seen so far. I'm not sure if I want them anywhere near the car.

I am considering getting the air filter sorted by another garage and maybe paying for another service. I have no confidence its been done properly.

Legally, where do I stand? Personally, I'd like a refund because the work hasn't even come close to being of a decent standard.

What's the value?

I can well understand that you have a loss of confidence in them. You could certainly go to a different garage and have the work done there – but I can imagine that getting your £160 back may be difficult and might require a small claim action. You would win this and get your court fees back but it would certainly take a long time and a lot of energy.  The garage would probably say that most of the service has been done correctly and you might then have to produce an independent report which identifies faults all the way through. Very tricky – and if they can do that then it would probably lead to a reduction in the amount that you might be awarded by a court.

You might be best off simply taking the car back and getting them sorted out. You could then put in a claim for any expenses that you have incurred as a result of this although that is likely to be even less than £160 and will probably take the same amount of time and effort.

The situation is very difficult and sometimes it is best to be pragmatic.