Dell refusal to honour warranty

Chripper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, 

I've had this Dell laptop for two years and i purchased a three year warranty.

I'm a writer so i put a lot of stress on my keys of by keyboard. I write between 5-10k per day, every day. Because of this i deal with a lot of keys falling off the keyboard.

Up till now Dell have replaced the keyboard without any fuss, but now they've told me that they won't honour my warranty in future, if i suffer the same problems.

Thank you for your help.

warranties are always totally worthless

replacing the keyboard is cheap and easy to do yourself

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

you'd have to carefully read their T&C's.

I believe they can eventually cancel at any point.

probably had your monies worth out of them anyway.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Why a sour taste? They have been reasonable by replacing it up until now, and if their T's & C's exclude excessive usage above normal 'wear and tear', then why should they replace your keyboard for the nth time

Why not use an external keyboard (unless you absolutely have to use the laptop keyboard) to preserve the laptop keyboard for those times you really have to use it, given the volume of keystrokes you know you are making......

Typing that much must surely mean you aren't regarded as a 'consumer' if there is any chance this is business related typing (if you are a paid author?)

If you bought a car with a 3-year / 100,000 mile warranty, and it developed a 'wear and tear' issue at 2 1/2 years and 110,000 miles (it having been used as a private hire vehicle, 24 hours a day, in 'shifts'), could you reasonably expect that to be covered by the warranty?.

Edited by BazzaS

Why sour grapes? Because I'm using one of their systems. I've never used excessive force. The machine is in brand new condition. There's not a scrape or a mark on it. I'm using the laptop responsibly. The warranty covers parts that become faulty over a three year period.

The poor workmanship of their keyboards is the real issue here. 

I bought a laptop and a warranty, and the warranty stipulates that they would replace parts that break down. In no doing so they're reneging on the contract.

Is that a real question? If you sign an agreement then it must be upheld. 

1. This is a laptop, not a car.

2. The laptop is in brand new condition and I only use it for work.

3. An agreement was agreed.

OK, so look at the T's and C's of their warranty.

If there isn't any reasonable exclusion, and you feel you can show it is poor workmanship (above and beyond excessive usage), then consider a county court claim. That was what I was alluding to with the car comparison, so yes, it was a real question.

Is there a relevant term in the warranty T's and C's?.

Good idea. I'll check it out later.

Will do. I genuinely think they've reneged on their contract. Unless on the T&C it says "We reserve the right to deny or suspend the warranty" then I think I have a case.