ordered online £600 Dyson V12 got £30 vacuum argos dont even sell in the box! now refusing all responsibilities

Nomso
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I placed an online order with Argos on the 18th Of September 2019.  This was for a Dyson V11 Absolute Cordless Vacuum Cleaner.

The item I bought came in a box with a Dyson branded cardbaord packaging, however, the Vacuum Cleaner that was inside the box, was certainly not what I ordered, and it was certainly not even a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner.

It was a Russel Hobbs Vacuum Cleaner costing less than £40. 

A Vacuum Cleaner brand which Argos does not even stock. 

The packaging, when I removed the brown box it came with, looked like it  had been previously opened. 

There was not even a manual or warranty card inside.

I contacted Argos immediately, cancelled the order and requested for a collection.

The collection was arranged on the 19th Of September 2019

. Argos duly collected the item back on the 19th Of September 2019.

I am at a loss for words trying to understand how this could have happened:-

• Could it be that Argos has been an earlier victim of fraud, which it had failed to detect? Someone previously might have bought this item, and swapped the Dyson model with a Russel Hobbs model costing considerably less.
  • Equally, a logistics employee of Argos might also have swapped the Dyson model with a Russel Hobbs model, either at the Argos warehouse or whilst in transit.

Judging from this new article below, this seems to be a recurring theme at Argos.  I shudder with horror at the thought that Argos does not check the validaity of returned items before dispatching that to the next unfortunate customer.

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/crime/three-arrested-in-20-000-online-argos-fraud-probe-1-6424935

Argos is claiming they didnt do anything wrong and wouldnt refund my money back to me.

I am at a loss for words; why I should be expected to pay for Argo's incompetence?

I have suffered financial loss and a great deal of emotional distress because of this incompetence. 

Of a particularly distasteful nature, was the  candid admission by the Argos representative, that “yes, a crime has taken place, and that it is Argos word against me",

I am the Director of an IT Consultancy firm, earning well over £130K annually, and work in sensitive areas. My clients  do insist on carrying out background checks on all their staff and service provides like myself. I have no criminal records whatsoever, and I am not particularly enthusiastic about jeopardising my business and good name, for a Vacuum Cleaner.

I have bought several items from Argos in the past with absolutely no issues like this

. I also have a Credit Rating 998 out of 999 from Experian, and also, more than enough unused credit on my Argos Card to buy the Vacuum Cleaner in question 4 times over.

Please can anyone advise on:

1) The law

2) Ways of getting justice

3) Ways of getting my refund back

Thanks

Go do a section 75 reclaim on the card

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

2 hours ago, Nomso said:

Argos is claiming they didnt do anything wrong and wouldnt refund my money back to me.

The shear arrogance - ignorance (take your pick!) of that comment beggars belief. You pay Argos to deliver you a £600 Dyson and they send you a £40 R Hobbs and they don't think the mistake is their fault? Words fail me! Whose fault do they think it was?

So what are they proposing to do? You paid them £600 for something, the 'something' that was delivered they now have back, so why aren't they returning the money you paid them? Surely they don't expect to keep both the goods and the money?

I'm no expert, hopefully someone who can advise better than I can will post, but I'm sure there are regulations about buying online that allow you to reject the goods as long as you do it within a specified period. You rejected it within 24 hours.

As you mention you are a company director can I check one thing. Did you purchase it as a private individual, in your own name for your personal use, delivered to your home? Or was it a company purchase? Most consumer protection laws only apply to purchases as a private individual; a company purchase would be a B2B transaction outside the scope of the regulations.

Edited by Ethel Street

Another thought, do make sure if you speak to them by phone that you record the call. It seems to me that the only way they could attempt to deny liability is by claiming that you are attempting to defraud them, ie you did receive the Dyson but you switched it for the R Hobbs. Absurd, I know, but if they are foolish enough even to hint that might be their rationale they are in a difficult legal position. But evidence is everything, a recording of the conversation is essential.

23 minutes ago, Ethel Street said:

Another thought, do make sure if you speak to them by phone that you record the call. It seems to me that the only way they could attempt to deny liability is by claiming that you are attempting to defraud them, ie you did receive the Dyson but you switched it for the R Hobbs. Absurd, I know, but if they are foolish enough even to hint that might be their rationale they are in a difficult legal position. But evidence is everything, a recording of the conversation is essential.

Read our customer services guide and implement the advice there

Your problem here is going to be that it is your word against theirs. Even with the credit card company, if you try to make the claim then Argos will simply say that you are trying to rip them off by substituting a cheap vacuum cleaner for the one which you ordered and which was actually delivered.

What will help you here will be to look around the Internet and try to find similar stories and to collect them up as screenshots and also the Internet links. If you are able to contact any of the people who have this experience then that would be very helpful to you as well. You may eventually find that you will have to threaten and then bring a court case. For this kind of money and for these circumstances I can imagine that Argos will be prepared to meet you in court which means that they will defend the case. Because it is your word against theirs, you will have to persuade the judge that it is more likely than not – 51% or better that you are telling the truth. If you can find similar stories and print them out and include them as part of your evidence – and particularly if you can persuade people to give you statements as to their own experience then this will probably swing it for you.

I have a feeling the on this forum we've had one or two similar examples although I don't know if it was from Argos or from other suppliers. I think you need to search the forum and see what you can find. If you do find threads with similar issues then please post the links here for everybody else to see.

Although you have the right to reject the goods within 14 days for any reason – assuming that you are purchasing is a consumer – or because the goods were not as described you have a right to reject the goods out of hand in any event, you may as well write to Argos and reject the goods formally and tell them the reason why. At least you have a paper trail and you can show that you've taken all reasonable steps to bring the problem to the notice of Argos and to assert your rights in the matter.

I suggest that you take photographs of the cleaner and also the packing and also try to put the cleaner back into the package in the way that you found it so that you can demonstrate that it fits correctly and that it was apparently securely packed.

If you find links to stories elsewhere on the Internet about similar problems then please post those links here

7 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

I suggest that you take photographs of the cleaner and also the packing and also try to put the cleaner back into the package in the way that you found it so that you can demonstrate that it fits correctly and that it was apparently securely packed.

OP's post #1 suggests that Argos have already collected the Russell Hobbs cleaner and it is now in Argos's possession.

Sorry, that had passed me by.

I don't really understand why they have gone ahead to collect an item which they say they have no knowledge of. Have you had any further feedback about it? Have they offered to return it to you?

I think my main advice still stands that you should gather as much information as possible – as quickly as possible – relating to other similar instances especially to Argos – but in fact to any kind of online store and then use that as the basis of evidence for your claim. I think it's a very difficult situation

Ive had it too. With argos home delivery

Supposed new dishwasher ordered.

Got a returned one where a forklift had punctured it .

Diff model too not even sold by them

Was told it was fraud carried out by workers at the central warehouse.

Argos card was refunded in full.

Dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

How long ago?

Thanks for the advice.

Googling brought up this about Section 75 reclaims:-

" Section 75 covers "consequential losses", as well as the cost of what you bought. This covers any costs caused by the problem with your purchase. For example, if you bought tickets for an event that got cancelled, you may be able to claim back your travel and hotel costs from your credit card company2. Sounds like it does cover my really sad circumstances.

Hi Ethel,

Thank for your reply.

Believe me, I have gone past the stage of believing in reality itself. I am speechless too. Like you said the sheer arrogance and ignorance beggers belief.  Argos must be fully aware of this type of going ons. You see, Argos does not check the items it collects for returns, And I guess, to them, it makes sense if just 0.25% of their returns are either damaged or as in my case, swapped with cheaper alternatives. To them it must make a good marketing strategy. For the people unfortunate to recieve those damaged or swapped items, it is sheer hell.  It should not be so. Argos, for the sake of these few suffering customers, should spend money either training their staff to check returns or spend money to put in practices that will prevent this from happening.

Judging from the news article below, it doesnt seem to be a new thing to Argos

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/crime/three-arrested-in-20-000-online-argos-fraud-probe-1-6424935

I purchased the item as an individual. My mentioning of the fact that I am a company director was just to illustrate to Argos (and to the courts eventually the way this is going) that I have zero needs and zero will to become a criminal just because of a Vacuum Cleaner.

Yes, Argos did come and collect the item the next day.

It is part of Argos operating polices not to check returned items at the point of collection.

I guess they find it cheaper.

Or failing that, they find it easier to deny any wrong doings.

They are the big multi-million £££ institution anyway, out to trample innocent civilians

• dx100uk changed the title to ordered online £600 Dyson V12 got £30 vacuum argos dont even sell in the box! now refusing all responsibilities
1 minute ago, Nomso said:

It is part of Argos operating polices not to check returned items at the point of collection. I guess they find it cheaper. Or failing that, they find it easier to deny any wrongdoings. They are the big multi-million £££ institution anyway, out to trample innocent civilians

If you have evidence of this policy then it is extremely helpful to you. How do you know that this is their policy?

20 hours ago, dx100uk said:

Ive had it too. With argos home delivery

Supposed new dishwasher ordered.

Got a returned one where a forklift had punctured it .

Diff model too not even sold by them

Was told it was fraud carried out by workers at the central warehouse.

Argos card was refunded in full.

Dx

Oh dear. I knew it

I google briefly and came up with this

I somehow believe that Argos is FULLY AWARE OF THIS and they are just using the weight to deny it to those that have fallen victims to this.

Why in the world should Argos expect anyone buying sometihng from them to feel like it is a lottery?

i.e

Is the right item in the packaging

Has the item being opened before and used?

Has the item been damaged

etc

Good to hear you got the refund.

What a horrible company.

I promise myself I will never buy even a 50p pencil  from  argos till I die

6 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

If you have evidence of this policy then it is extremely helpful to you. How do you know that this is their policy?

Because when they came to collect the item from me, no one, and I mean, no one bothered to check what was inside.

Also I have had issues in the past where items I have bought from Argos had missing components and you can visually tell that the item has been opened previosuly and used.

It is a common and well known them with Argos

This is very interesting of course but it is not the kind of hard evidence that you can use in court particularly and certainly not the kind of hard evidence which would make Argos put their hands up in order to avoid a legal action.

I think your position here is to gather as much information as possible and then if you feel that you are prepared to bring a small claim in the County Court, you should send them a letter of claim giving them 14 days to reimburse you money or else you will sue. On day 15, issue the claim. Don't bluff. Only make the threat if you are prepared to carry it out.

Unfortunately the newspaper article – which is helpful – is dated 2014. The case on this forum which I referred you to is later than that and that will be helpful to you as well. As I have said, you should look around the Internet and see if you can find other people complaining about the same kind of thing. Have you done this yet?

You could also read our customer services guide and then call them and engage them in conversation where you suggest that they must be fairly familiar with this kind of complaint – and if you're lucky a customer services person will make an unguarded comment that this is certainly true.

This kind of evidence will help you.

Although what you're saying is completely credible – your problem is to persuade a judge. For 600 quid Argus might decide to make a go of it and in which case I would reckon your chances of success at about 75% which is okay – but I normally prefer higher odds when I recommend people to take a legal action.

The risk for you is that you could lose your 600 quid, the claim fee, the hearing fee – and possibly the reasonable costs of travel if Argos decided to send somebody out.

The risk for Argos is that they will get a professional to do this so they will incur a load of costs which they won't be able to recover under the small claims rules and of course they risk losing. Only Argos will know the extent of this kind of fraud problem within their ranks – and it is unlikely that you will ever find out how bad that problem is. If they turned up in court then clearly you would ask them whether they are familiar with this kind of fraud – because you know the answer would be "yes". It would then be nice to ask them how many times a week to they get this kind of incident – but the problem is that you don't know the answer so it could be risky to ask them. The general rule is that you only ask questions that you know the answer to already. If they were to respond that they only get this kind of thing once a year then it would be very unhelpful to your case.

On the other hand, the only other explanation is that you have substituted the vacuum cleaners and you are trying to steal from them. This would be a serious thing for Argos to be suggesting. In a court case in front of the judge I would certainly ask Argos if they were suggesting that you were attempting to steal £600 from them. I can imagine they would be reluctant to answer and it wouldn't be worth pressing the question – but the point would be made in front of the judge.

I think you are going to have to make a personal assessment of the pros and cons of bringing an action. I'm sure these frauds go on and of course it would be very nice to see Argos taken down on this and the story published on this forum and also over social media and to your local press. You could make it clear to Argos that if they force you to bring a legal action then when you get your judgement – as you surely will – that you will make sure that the story is published in the papers.

This is an additional risk factor for Argos and they might prefer to settle.

• Like 1

Hey Sorry for the late reply.

Brilliant advice. Brilliant.

My views are similar to yours.

Thanks for clarifying them even further.

I have done a brief search, and I have found one related link so far, and I have looked at listings on this site too, of people with issues with Argos, I have not found one that matches mine, sadly.

I haven't looked extensively though; I will.

I am doing as you advised, i.e making a formal complaint, keeping communication trails, collecting info, for the Financial Ombudsman to build up my case. 

I know, that legally,  Argos would always claim what you have said they would.

I do also believe that Argos knows that due to the lousy returns procedures, there is a good chance that they have erred, in this instance and I do believe too that others have suffered what I am going through now. 

I guess I just have to prove I have nothing to gain from committing a crime from the theft of a £600 vacuum cleaner bought on a £2K plus Argos card with a zero balance, for several months; brought on by a sudden urge and NEED to be a big-time criminal wheeling and dealing dodgy cleaners,

as I have no criminal record;

I am educated in one of the UK top universities;

I have nothing to gain as I earn more than that on some lucky days, daily, sometimes; and I am a long-time loyal customer of Argos. 

The last bit makes me sad, really sad.

Such is life.

I think the UK legal system would shine as always.

I believe in it.

It is just an unfair inconvenience.

And if the UK legal system were to fail me drastically, beyond all my worst expectations, and I were to pay Argo's Legal Fees, that would crush my spirit and core beliefs.

It is a possibility though.

I don't really understand why they have gone ahead to collect an item which they say they have no knowledge of.

Argo is saying that as far as they are concerned, they sent me the right item which was supposed to have been a Dyson V12 cordless Vacuum Cleaner, and I have returned back a Russel Hobbs model costing around £40, I think. 

They came and collected the item though, as you did notice.

I have also returned items to Argos before, items I didnt like, and they have always collected with scant checks, if any.

Like I said, Argos must know that there are likely to fall victim to theft\fraud from people either doing this or Argos employees actually doing it.

See the link below.

Hell, a lot of people must be falling victim to what I am going through.

It is a gold mine for fraudsters.

Argos, surely, must be aware of this.

I believe though that maybe just less than 0.25% of their sales go this way, and that THEY ARE HAPPY WITH THAT.

Why though, should buying a vacuum cleaner be a lottery for me, a lottery where I am likely  to fail into someone who belongs to that 0.25% but is a real victim.

PS: I bought another vacuum from Argos the next day. 

They didnt have the Dyson Model so I went, into a store, asked for a Miele model, a brand I know and equally trust, got the order.

People, low and behold, the Miele came in a box that looked like it has been opened.

So I promptly requested they take it back, and give me a box that has not been opened. 

It's a bit Harsh.

But Argos has failed me.

I am happy with the Miele I bought from Argos and I am happy with the other items I have bough from them before.

I don't know why I will have a strong urge to be a master criminal now, committing Grand Theft Cordless Vacuum Cleaner.

Ah. Such is life.

I am in the process of drafting my case to the Financial Ombudsman.

The way I feel now, I feel like working up to the nearest Police Station, to lodge a complaint for theft, with Argos being the perpetrator.

Sad ironic looks on life aside, I want to make a formal complaint as well to Trading Standards and other Consumer-focused groups.

Argos should be brought to accounts for this, especially if there are a lot more people like me than we think.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
PS: There is an EU portal for financial complaints, I don't know how good that is or would be in the future

. Any advice welcomed on this too.

This is the extract of my formelylodged complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Sadly they have candidly informed me that they are seeing a high number of complaints at the moment.

I shudder at the thought that a large majority of these complaints might be related to mine.

It is mind-bungling,

your complaint

tell us about your complaint - what happened?

I recently hired a carpet cleaner, from DSS, to wash the carpets at my home. I have attached the receipts for you to see. After washing my carpets, I tried to vacuum it, without realising that the carpets were still wet with water, consequently, my existing Vacuum Cleaner became in inoperative as it became defective from water damage. Hence my need for a new vacuum cleaner.  I ordered a new Vacuum  Cleaner from Argos, online, via the Argos Website, using my Argos Credit Card. This Credit Card is provided by the "Home Retail Group Card Services". This item was sent to my work address, as requested, as I work Monday to Friday, and I am also paid daily, as an IT consultant, with my current rate at £420 per day. Details of my paid invoices enclosed. Hence it is not feasible for me to stay home and receive packages as it is a great expense for me, in lost earnings. I have had no issues in the past receiving items at my workplace, as:-

1: I have received items from Argos previously at the same location.

2: The Post Room in my work location is secured by 3 layers of security. One needs to get past THREE DOORS that will a Swipe-Card only those with the right permissions can enter, and also the Post Room is constantly monitored by CCTV and by ever-present long-term employees. 

All in all, Argos didn't deliver the Vacuum Cleaner I ordered. I ordered a Dyson V11 Absolute Cordless Vacuum Cleaner (Catalogue code 930/1061, price £599.99). Argos delivered to me a Russel Hobbs brand costing about £40. A brand that they don't even stock.

I contacted Argos immediately I got home and opened the packaging and looked at what was inside after my partner has assembled it and used it briefly.  She complained it was quite substandard for a £599 Vacuum Cleaner.  This made me take a closer look at the brand. I  checked and realised it was a Russel Hobbs model. I googled the brand and model and found out it was around £40 or less. I can't remember exactly now. I promptly contacted Argos and asked for a recollection and a refund.  The packaging, when I removed the brown box it came with, looked like it had also been previously opened as there was not even a manual or warranty card inside.

I contacted Argos immediately, cancelled the order and requested for a collection. The collection was arranged on the 19th Of September 2019

Argos duly collected the item back on the 19th Of September 2019.

I then went into, my nearest Argos store, to buy a vacuum cleaner, in person, on the 24th of September. My fate in the online service of Argos was very low at this point. I wanted to inspect what I am buying. Lo and behold, even at the store, the Vacuum Cleaner I order seemed to have been opened before and used. I requested for another one with unopened packaging. I bought a Miele C3 Complete Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner  (Catalogue code 717/3851, price £249.99) and 3 Miele GN Hyclean 3D Efficiency Dust Bags - Pack of 8 (Catalogue code: 739/4616,  price £53.97). I am happy with my Miele purchase, as I have been happy with all my other Argos purchases.  I am not happy though that  Argos is refusing to admit any responsibility for not delivering what I had ordered, and I am also extremely unhappy that Home Retail Group Card Services is charging me £599.99 for this as Argos didn't deliver what I ordered.  I have contacted Argos and Argos seems to think it is their word against mine.  Argos is claiming they didn't do anything wrong and wouldn't refund my money back to me.  Of a particularly distasteful nature, was the candid admission by an Argos representative, that “yes, a crime has taken place, and that it is Argos word against me".

I am the Director of an IT Consultancy firm, earning well over £130K annually, and work in sensitive areas. Some of my clients do insist on carrying out background checks on all their staff and Service Provider like myself hence I am particular fastidious about that as you can imagine, to the extent that I am almost paranoid of having a negative Credit Rating.   I am was educated at Kings College London, and I have had well-paying jobs right from the moment I left college. I have absolutely no criminal records of any kind, whatsoever, of any kind; and I am not particularly enthusiastic about jeopardising my business and good name, and perhaps freedom,  for a £599.99 Vacuum Cleaner. I have bought several items from Argos in the past with absolutely no issues like this, as you can see from my enclosed transaction history with Argos.  I have a Credit Rating 998 out of 999 from Experian, and also, more than enough unused credit on my Argos Card (which has a zero balance for several months) to buy the Vacuum Cleaner in question 4 times over.  I have also calmly explained to Argos (with photographs) the fact that it is highly unlikely that Post Room Staff at my workplace, would conjure up the chance, and opportunity to swap, a Dyson V11 Vaccum Cleaner with a Russel Hobbs brand and model, in a CCTV monitored Post Room, in the presence of managers and other colleagues.  It takes a long stretch of the imagination to believe that it was the Post Room staff that did this. The item was not even within their possession for more than the  15mins it took me to finish what I was doing and collect it from the Post Room and keep under my desk, which I didn't leave for the duration of the day. So it is either that I am

how have you been affected - financially or otherwise?

Yes I have been financially affected by a loss of £599.99 which I am being asked to pay for an online item I bought that was not  delivered to me, rather a brand and model costing around £40 was delivered to me. According to the Home Retail Group Card Services, they are going to charge me £599.99 for an item which was not what I ordered; as the item that Argos delivered to me was not what I ordered.

I am looking at  £599.99 loss, at the very least. And more in Legal Costs should I need to pursue this in the courts.  I am also looking at days lost pursuing this case. I have already taken a day off work to prepare my complaint to you, the Financial Ombudsman. I have spent several hours on harrowing telephone calls with Argos and Home Retail Group Card Services, being redirected pointlessly from one entity to the other, from one department to another, within the same entity; and sometimes within a different entity.

I want to be compensated for not only the financial loss I have suffered but also for the trauma and distress Argos has inflicted on me.

I have a credit rating of 998 out of 999 from Experian. Details enclosed. I am very fastidious on that as I believe it is a great asset for my business, in my line of work. You see I work I can charge rates between £400 to £550 per day, depending on the job details. My clients, sometimes do insist on doing checks on their suppliers, hence the fastidious approach to my credit ratings.  Home Retail Group Card Services, for reasons, I cannot fully understand, has written to me that

1) I should pay for an item which did not want I ordered

2) I should pay for an item where there is a dispute over whether it is the word of Argos or mine that is more believable in terms of what was delivered to me despite the fact that they (Home Retail Group Card Services) must FULLY be aware of cases similar to mine where Argos have erred and delivered the wrong items to its customers.

3) That my Credit Rating would be affected if I don't start making payments towards. Am I truly mistaken in believing that this feels like daylight robbery?  It is just plain unjust. And it would be like rubbing salt on an open wound.

I have provided details of my financial status to you and would be happy to provide absolutely any other information or document you need to verify the authenticity of my words, I am happy to provide statements and even character witnesses.

how would you like the business to put things right for you?

Spending my hard-earned money to buy a Vacuum Cleaner should not be a lottery on whether I get what I ordered or not.  Or for anyone for that matter.

A lottery where instead of getting a £599.99 Vacuum Cleaner I now get a £40 Russell Hobbs model and brand. And accusations by Argos that I am lying.  It shouldn't be a lottery for anyone. And it should definitely not been unpleasant.

I genuinely believe, from the news article you will see if you google the words "three-arrested-in-20-000-online-argos-fraud-probe-1-6424935"  that yes, it is could be possible Argos collects returned items without checking and then pass that on to their customers. Argos might not think it is prudent or cost-efficient to do exhaustive checks, or Argos, maybe, meant even assume that, if say 0.25% of their returns are dubious, that they are happy to live with those numbers. Argos has made spending my hard-earned money, with them, a lottery on whether I get what I purchased because they purposely refuse to improve the working practices and security. It is a multi-million Pound retail giant, yet it can't and doesn't want to spend some of its earnings improving its operation. Argos, as you can tell from me enclosed correspondence, is far happier telling me they have conducted a 30mins investigation by their Internal Fraud Department, and have concluded that they delivered the right item to me. The arrogance in that statement is overwhelming.  Please judge for yourself, and ask me to provide any further information, you need, on whether I have a need to defraud Argos of £599.99. I have already spent a further £303.96 buying another Vacuum Cleaner from the same ARGOS. I HAVE NOT RETURNED IT WITH A £30 Russel Hobbs version.  Judging from what you see if you google "three-arrested-in-20-000-online-argos-fraud-probe-1-6424935" it would seem this is a recurring issue Argos must fully be aware of. If Argos is callous enough to resell returned items without checking the validity of what it is selling, that indeed would be a serious breach of all we hold dear. I am not in a position to determine how Argos deals with returns, however, I am drafting a complaint to Trading Standards and Other Consumer groups as we speak, for them to look into this and bring Argos to accounts if they are indeed that callous. It really would be callous of Argos if that was their internal procedures. Equally, I think it is also callous for Argos, to disregard my transaction history with them, to disregard my position in life, to accuse me of fraud; just because, I, on the 18th of September 2019, Argos, decided to replace, my damaged Vacuum Cleaner, by purchasing it via Argos. Argos, despite knowing there is a strong likelihood that I am a real victim, has instead opted for the far easier option of saying "We are not at fault".  In order words, it is me that is at fault. Because the lottery of purchasing an online item from Argos has gone against me this time. And according to Argos, I am now a criminal.  I think that is unfair.  And I think it deserves Argos being brought to account. If their operational and security polices were efficient, I wouldn't be a victim. Why should I be a victim just because I decided to shop with Argos? Why?

Argos really needs to improve the way it handles returns. I should have opened the packaging immediately on delivery. Doing so would not have helped much though as I assume the delivery person might well have left most people by the time they have opened the packaging.  All in all, I am a victim here and I want justice, a cancellation of the £599.99 bill on my Argos Credit Card; and also an apology from Argos. It is just horrible the way they have treated me. I know in my heart that I have bought a lot more from Argos than is showing on my online Argos Account. If I were to do a thorough search on payments to Argos on my debit cards, I am very sure I would have spent more than the £764.88 (£1,363.88 if you include the £599.99 in dispute) since Dec 2017 I referred to earlier. And I would still spend more in the future with the same retailer.  Argos took a grand total of maybe 30 minutes to review my case and label my a criminal and let's not forget, saddle me with a £599.99 bill, for their failings. It is just unfair.  They did just because they can.  I have enclosed pictures of the secured Post Room I received this post from,  I have enclosed details of my financial status, I have even enclosed details of PAST ORDERS WITH ARGOS THAT I AM VERY HAPPY WITH. Why would Argos suddenly label me a criminal and think I have a need to commit fraud on a £599.99 Vacuum Cleaner based on a few minutes rudimentary checks (assuming any checks at all were carried).  All because I decided to order a Vacuum Cleaner online from Argos.

Although you are dealing with Argos they were acquired by Sainsburys in 2016

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Yes. I realised just after I posted the complaint.
The Home Retail Group is the evil entity here and one of its minions, Home Retail Group Card Services is the entity that offers Argos Cards; and the entity I have to deal with.
Even the letters these folks send to me are all confusing, with different entities quoting each other's addresses, randomly it seems.
My response letter came from a Home Retail Group Card Services staff with the attached response barring the Argos Financial Services branding and logo.
I am wee bit confused and sorrowful and sadly, looking at a bill for £599 for a £40 item which I am not even in possession of; and which didn't even come with a manual or warranty!
Thanks to Argos, Sainsbury, Argos Retail, Argos Online, Home Retail Group and Home Retail Group Card Services my Sunday has ruined and perhaps the week as well.

Edited by Nomso
proofing