DW; won't cancel membership

daisyP
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1661 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I joined DW gym in Bristol, never had the promised new member one to one sessions  .

I had to cancel the one that was booked and it was never re-arranged. 

I have moved to London now, and am not near a DW..... 

My repeated attempts to contact them asking to cancel  are literally just being ignored.

I phoned the club twice and was told someone would call me back but no-one did.

I went through the website and filled out a ''contact form''.... no reply. 

Yet meanwhile they are sending me repeated emails demanding payment. 

What can I do? 

They literally just want to take money for nothing but if I don't pay it I am afraid they will affect my credit record. 

gyms debt don't appear on credit files

simply write them a letter 

telling them you wish to cancel.

when did you 1st try to advise cancellation but failed?

when did you stop the DD?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi thanks. I first asked them to cancel around a month ago and stopped the DD that was due last week. I have had daily demands for money but zero response to my emails, phone call and contact via their website re. cancellation. And it clearly says in their terms and conditions that cancellation is allowed even within the first year should the customer mi E more than 5 miles from the home club. 

Relieved to hear it won't affect my credit. 

I'll send them a physical letter... 

Hi Daisy and welcome to CAG

We need more info before we can offer best advice so please let us know :-

1. Date you joined the gym.

2. Date you moved from Bristol.

3. Date and method by which you first told the gym you needed to cancel.

Give approx dates if you don't know exactly.

Ignore all attempts by the gym or CARS (their collection company) to speak with you and keep everything in writing only.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi  -

Slick I wish I had read this before I spoke with them earlier. I got an email this morning from the club saying they could do nothing and to call a head office number. 

I did this and was at first immediately told I was tied in to being a member until April no matter what. 

When I pointed out that their terms and conditions say otherwise, as I have moved away,  he changed his mind and said yes they can do that but it hadn't been done as I have shown no proof of the move... 

I pointed out I was never asked for any, just dismissed off-hand. 

he then said if aI email proof they will cancel my membership -  However they are going to charge me for September and October as they are saying I am giving a month notice from today. 

I have emailed them the proof of my new address in the form of a tenancy that started last month. ( not the club - a different email given to me on the phone) 

No response to that yet other than an automated email.

To answer the specific questions from Slick132; 

I joined the club last April

I moved from Bristol at the end of August 

I first told the gym in person, while using the facilities for what would be the last time, earlier in August. 

As that got me absolutely nowhere I phoned hoping to speak to a manager 

Now they are saying I never asked at all and that they will not reverse their decision unless I can prove it . 

How on earth am I meant to do that? 

I have at least learned to make sure all such communication is written in future and not assume a large company would actually abide by normal ethical or legal standards. :(

you told them in august 

their in action is not your problem

and should cost you nothing other than offering the one payment after you 1st told them.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Daisy,

Speak to no one by phone from now on 😉

Read other threads here so you understand what we tell folk week after week - that most gyms and their admin companies are chancers who try to extort whatever they can from people.

Regarding your own case :-

You were only due to pay one further fee to the gym after you gave them verbal notice of you moving away.

You do NOT have to supply any proof or evidence in the way you were told.

They cannot make you pay gym fees beyond what you owe.

They cannot make you pay unlawful admin fees.

If the DD mandate is still active, cancel it immediately via your bank.

To help us decide on how many DD's you need to reclaim, please confirm if you told the gym of your impending move before or after the August DD was taken. 

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Then you dont even need to offer anything by letter nor send one imho??

and they

Great - if you told the gym you needed to cancel due to moving away BEFORE the August DD was paid, that August payment was the last one you needed to pay.

From sentence#2 in your post#3 above, it sounds like you cancelled the DD mandate before they managed to use it to take the September gym fee - Please confirm this.

If this is so, you owe them nothing more, nor do you need to reclaim any DD taken in excess of what you owe - and you simply need to ignore all further demands from the gym.

But you need to ensure DW know your new address - it's important that you keep up to date with what they're up to.

Thank you, and yes that is right - I cancelled the DD before they could take a payment in September. 

They are now saying I need to pay for September but they won't demand any more than that. 

I'll respond and give my new address and then ignore them?

Thank you

just checked my bank for something else entirely and the DD has re-appeared and they took £35 from me yesterday !! :(

I have cancelled it again but they already have that money!

Should I contact the bank?

Get it back under the dd guarantee

and they

Let's be clear, you should have paid the August DD and nothing more after that.

If they used the DD to take any money after the Aug payment, reclaim it via your bank citing the DD Guarantee Scheme.

Keep us updated when you hear more from DW and/or CARS