BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• I feel that people are focusing too much on the OPs property being a council house and putting responsibility on the council to resolve this.   imagine for a moment that the OPs house is privately owned, now what powers would they have to take action on the trees? Pretty much none without taking the tree owner to court right. Well as the trees are privately owned, that is the same power that the council have right now.   the information with the £375 will be inline with high hedges legislation as this will be the only power the council will have and it is common for there to be a charge for this.   this is not a social housing issue, but a neighbor dispute with a private homeowner.   i used to work as a tree officer for a local authority and from experience have seen that people’s idea of dangerous and what is actually dangerous are two different issues. A councils power to enforce tree works are also limited and will usually only be where a private tree poses a risk to the highway, not to another property as that is a civil matter (even where the council own the 2nd property).    With regards to risk to underground pipes, this is something you will be unlikely to successfully argue as various studies have found that unless a tree is planted on top of the pipe and crush it, the roots will not cause damage, but rather only enter through already damaged areas as they are opportunistic, any tree roots in drains are usually a secondary issue where a pipe had existing damage and to resolve it will require a permanent repair to the pipe to prevent recurrence.   the only options i see here are to calculate the height allowed under high hedges legislation (it varies depending on what direction the property faces , the location of hedges etc) and try to enforce that which will involve the fee. Otherwise there is little you can do as the private homeowner has a right to have trees in their garden although they may be liable if they were to cause damage to your property (such as a shed) or the councils property in the future.
    • Served on 16 Feb.   On reviewing the MCOL website today for an updated, I noticed that 1) Hermes has aknowledged the claim, but not yet filed a defence, and 2) that I there was a glitch / error on the form. Essentially, it looks like I had accidentally left the "I will send detailed particulars of claim" box ticke (I thought I had unticked it), with the result that the claim section has been truncated, and some extra text has automatcially been added - in red below):   "...Claimant seeks £XXX, plus I will provide the defendant with separate detailed particulars within 14 days after service of the claim form. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of..."   This is obviously not ideal. Is it better to try to amend the claim somehow, or to just submit a brief POC that a) clarifies that I am seeking £XXX plus costs (which was automatically truncated), and b) sets out my calculation of the £XXX?  
    • Hi   It amazes me how they pass the buck as they don't want to deal with a private homeowner but if the shoe was on the other foot they would be hammering down on you for breach of tenancy.   As this is council housing you need to make a Formal Complaint in writing to the Council Housing about this (as a social housing landlord they have a complaints process they have to follow). you need to exhaust their complaints process. Make sure and title your letter Formal Complaint.   From what you have posted this tree is not just a nuisance but also a Health & Safety risk:   1. The tree being overgrown is now a danger to the occupants/Guest/Visitors to your property   2. The tree has overgrown into the Council Housings Boundaries your property causing damage/endangerment to the occupants/guest/visitors.   3. As the roots of the tree are also overgrown into your property you have concerns that these may be causing/damaging to any underground pipework that may be within the boundray of the property.   4. So far the Councils actions have been to treat their Council Housing tenant as a third class citizen with a private homeowner aloud to cause endangerment/possible damage due to these overgrown trees which are encroaching on your council house property/bounderies.   You also require clarification why you were sent the Healthy Neighbourhood Information which states I have to pay £375 to make a complaint. (make sure and attach a copy of the response that states this cost)   You also require copies of the following:   1. Complaints Policy (not the leaflet) 2. Customer Service Standard (not the leaflet) 3. Health & Safety Policy (not the leaflet) 4. Public Liability Insurance Policy. (not the leaflet) 5. Clarification from you if their is any underground pipeworks running through the bounderies within the garden area (you should have full knowledge of this it being your property/plans) 6. Compensation Policy (not the leaaflet) 7. Equality & Diversity Policy (not the leaflet)   When you get the above policies sit with a pen/pencil/highlighter and take you time reading them and just think to yourself 'DID THEY DO THAT' if not mark it then leave it for a while then do the same again this way you can basically throw/write back stating the haven't followed x policy with which part of that policy and your reason. (you are building evidence to use against them using their own policies. I would also like to refer you to The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provision) Act 1976: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/57/part/I/crossheading/dangerous-trees-and-excavations     You need to remember yes it is the Council but the Council Housing is a separate entity and is a Registered Social Landlord (RSL)   Is the Council Housing classed as a registered Charity? (what is their registration number whether charity or RSL?)   Also have a wee look at this CAG link:     
    • @rocky_sharma   Fame at last!!   Dunno how much help it would be in your case, but I could try digging out the txt of my defence if you think it might be relevant to your defence. We might hafta do this via PM, then e-mail though if ya wanna go down that route.   Good luck with yours anyway mate.
  • Our picks

johealey

Lowell claimform - old disputed Studio Cards debt

It will be the scanning quality.

Their letter has a printed signature on, not an original signature.

There is nothing that contains my signature, so if you look at the credit agreement which does look like a copy, the only input on there is the date of November 2011, it doesn't contain my signature anywhere on any of the paperwork that they have supplied.

Attached are photos of the documents that they sent me - ignore the black mark on the agreement, this was where I went through the personal info with a marker pen

docs2.pdf

And you state you applied for this credit agreement on line ....and yet the agreement states the agreement is none cancellable you have no rights to cancel the agreement...mmm?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Does that mean I need to add something into my defence, or is it a completely different approach now?

A regulated agreement is not properly executed unless

• A document in the prescribed form, itself containing all the prescribed terms and conforming to regulations under section 60(1) is signed in the prescribed manner both by the debtor or hirer and by or on behalf of the creditor or owner; and
  • The document embodies all the terms of the agreement, other than implied terms; and
  • The document is, when presented or sent to the debtor or hirer for signature, in such a state that all its terms are readily legible.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/part/V/crossheading/cancellation-of-certain-agreements-within-coolingoff-period

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

ok thank you.

Do I add those lines above to my defence as well or do I just use those lines above in my defence?

Sorry, this is all going waaayyy over my head now!

No...retain it for your statement should it proceed...simply add after your comment re section 78 and that they complied, that the purported agreement is lacking all the prescribed terms and therefore unenforceable...then let them try to decide in what way.

Check post #41 now I have added it to the defence.

Amazing thanks so much :-)

Am I good to go and post up #41 onto the online website to submit my defence now please?

Yes providing your happy with the contents.

Fab thanks, all done and submitted - now let's see what happens :-)

Thanks for all your help so far,  I will  donate to the site - thanks again!

:yo:

Just to update you.........I have now received a letter from the Courts, to say that they have received my defence and that a copy is being served on the Claimant.

Now I just sit and wait for next steps :-)

what else does the letter tell you...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

so what does the 2nd  Paragraph say....

im not asking to see it

I know what it says

you need to READ  and UNDERSTAND  IT..

dx

As an update, I have now received the attached N180 form as an offer of mediation - this is the first time I have ever seen a form like this so I have been having a quick read on the site and will have more of an in-depth read over the weekend and see what I need to do.

If anyone could give me any pointers, would really appreciate it and this is alien to me so I now need to do some homework :-)

Mediation Letter Nov 2019.pdf

oh wow thanks, is it really that simple at the moment :-)

I have now received the relevant forms "notice of proposed allocation to the small claims track" Form N149A

I just have a few questions please:

• Do you agree to this case being referred to to the small claims mediation services - yes 
  • Add contact details - yes 
  • Do you agree that the small claims track is the appropriate track for his case - yes 
  • Enter local County Court venue - yes 
  • Are you asking for the Court's permission to use the written evidence of an expert - do I answer yes or no here please?
  • Witnesses - I assume just myself?
  • Would I like to settle your case without going to a court hearing - I assume yes?
  • I can confirm that I have enough information about the claim, to allow me to enter into negotiations - I assume yes?

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of another case similar to this please so I can have a good read and make sure I am doing this right?  Would really appreciate it, thanks :-) 

Okay N180

A = yes ...dont worry its not an admittance and most probably wont even happen but all parties are expected to participate.

B = Self explanatory

C = Yes

D = D1 =At your local court you are the litigant defendant

D2 = No

D3 = 1

D4 =Self explanatory

Copy to court/claimant and one for your file.