• Tweets

• I hope Lord Frost is OK. Islamists and the woke Left are uniting to topple the West ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 19:12:37 UTC  
    • Ok you are in the clear. The PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 for two reasons. The first is that in Section 9 [2][e]  says the PCN must "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper— (i)to pay the unpaid parking charges ". It does not say that even though it continues correctly with blurb about the driver. The other fault is that there is no parking period mentioned. Their ANPR cameras do show your arrival and departure times but as that at the very least includes driving from the entrance to the parking space then later leaving the parking space and driving to the exit. It also doesn't allow for finding a parking spot: manoeuvering into it avoiding parking on the lines: possibly having to stop to allow pedestrians/other cars to pass in front of you; returning the trolley after finishing shopping; loading children disabled people in and out of the car, etc etc.  All of that could easily add five, ten or even 15 minutes to your time which the ANPR cameras cannot take into account. So even if it was only two hours free time you could  still have been within the  time since there is a MINIMUM of 15 minutes Grace period when you leave the car park. However as they cannot even manage to get their PCN to comply with the Act you as keeper cannot be pursued. Only the driver is now liable and they do not know who was driving as you have not appealed and perhaps unwittingly given away who was driving. So you do not owe them a penny. No need to appeal. Let them waste their money pursuing you . 
    • If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

BT Insisted I Owe £48 and Swore at Me

walker323
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1642 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On the 27 September 2019 at about 6 in the evening I was phoned by someone who was apparently from the Newcastle Technical office of BT (tel. 0800 028 5085) who said very briskly that I owed them £48 and that I would have to pay this.

I have previously been chased for this £48 by BT before. They even got a debt collector to send me a letter saying that legal action would be taken if I did not hand it over. So I subsequently phoned BT and I was told that there were two old accounts ion my name, and both of them had no debt amount: I owed BT nothing (I have a recording of that conversation, courtesy of my Truecall unit).

I told the BT man that I owed them nothing and replace the receiver.

The phone rang again within 30 seconds and the same man was talking about how I would be reported to debt collection services, etc. My Truecall unit showed this coming from the same 0800 number as before.

I told the man to stop bothering me and to grow up.

About a minute later the phone rang again. This time I was upstairs logging into my Truecall account to ascertain where these calls were coming from, so I answered from my upstairs extension. This time there was a lot of jarring and crackling noise on the line, presumable designed to annoy me. Then the man with the same voice called me an "asshole" and a "mother***er".

I told him that I was recording the conversation and if he had quite finished. He hung up.

I checked back to my account and sure enough the first two calls were from the number given above, but the third abuse call, from the same man, was from a number which was not designated.

I phoned BT on 0800 800 150 and reported this incident to a BT operator, who then confirmed that I did not owe BT any money, and said that this must have been a [problem]. I mentioned that the number was coming up as a designated BT number. I originally told him I wanted to make a complaint but I am unsure whether a complaint was actually lodged. I tried phoning back later to check but could not get through to this number.

I phoned the 0800 028 5085 and was greeted by an automated familiar BT voice. 

I have a recording of the abusive call and I also have a screenshot of the Truecall output showing the time and number of the calls made.

wont be bt

it will be one of the sc@mmers from Asian or india.

spoofing the number

forget about it.

very common.

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Then why were they calling from a BT number (which answers with a BT recorded message when you phone it)?

And would a [EDIT] hire a debt collector and call themselves BT? I spoke to a person at the debt collector's number and they said that BT was their client and then gave me a further number for BT's billing department, who I then spoke to, and who confirmed that I owed them £48.

It would not surprise me if one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing; BT is a bloated, redundant bureaucracy that doesn't seem to know what day it is. 

Nevertheless, I am satisfied that it was BT who did this. If it is a gang of [problematic] then they have hijacked the BT Newcastle phone number and their billing department, and are soliciting debt companies in BT's name.

It may be that this department has gone completely out of control, of course. I can only conjecture until I've uncovered more about it. Buut I do know that it was definitely BT and can prove it.

and the DCA is whom?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Like 1

and they

The debt collector was CCSCollect.

Would a [EDIT] go to the extent of passing himself off as BT and then engaging a debt collection company to collect in BT's name?

What if I had capitulated and paid to CCS? CCS would then have paid the money (minus their percentage) to BT, and not to the [EDIT].

I can't see that it would be worth a [EDIT]'s time to do this. It would be pointless.

In legit call centres the calls are recorded so any language like that would be cause for instant dismissal. This is  a  con. Why even take the call?   In any case such a small amount would  not be chased in this way it would be written off. They assume  a percentage will opt to make the payment thinking it's not much, and they must have forgotten to pay.

The real purpose of the call is to get your bank details.

Where are all these 'edits' coming from it make you look like you said something gross.

Edited by Raven1

as long as your credit file is clean ignore them.

stop ringing powerless dca's too

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have

ZERO legal powers

ccs collect don't use that bt number 

how old is this supposed debt?

and they

I've noticed that when I write the word 'sc@mmer' or 'sc@m' it is always replaced here by '[EDIT]' in this text. Hardly anything scandalous.

Raven1, the call was not from a call centre. It was not from the 0800 028 5085 number, but from an undesignated number, as I made clear in  my original post. But it followed less than a minute after the 0800 028 5085 call, it was about the same subject and it was the same voice. So the caller decided that it would be better to verbally abuse me whilst not using the company's facilities! Unfortunately he didn't know that the call was still being recorded - by me.

You write "Why even take the call?" Because I want to get BT to recognise that I do not owe them any money. If I ignored it they would only call again when my guard was down. I wanted to nail this then and there.

Dx100uk, you ask me why I am ringing the debt company. It is for the same reason. I want this pointless chasing of £48 to stop. I know they are not bailiffs and I know that their powers are very limited. But I wanted to know if it really was BT who had commissioned them, and they confirmed that it was.

The alleged debt is less than two years old. In fact, I had made it clear to BT that the email I was paying £7.50 a month for didn't work and still they were charging me for it. They did not acknowledge that there was anything wrong with it and kept charging me for it. So in reality it is BT who owe me several months worth  of their PREMIUM email "service". 

ah the old £7.50 email service

always diff to get going.

is your credit file clean of this debt?

i doubt ccs are on commission, they just chance their arm for various debts then rock up to the oc and say we have got you this back.

so ccs swore at you then.

not surprised .

and they

No. It was the man from BT who used the foul language (but he did so on an undisclosed line, not on the BT Newcastle number 0800 028 5085 which he had used two minutes before to say that I owed BT £48).

CCS Collect would presumably have to have got this information from somewhere. And as this is not on my credit file I'm presuming it was BT who told them. Nobody else could have such information. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm attaching a screenshot of my Truecall output to show the two called from the BT 0800 028 5085 number followed in quick succession by the same man from BT using another phone in order to send lots of static noise down the line then call me an asshole and a motherfucker.

(I wonder what this forum's auto-censor will make of that.)

Truecall-calls-from-BT.PNG

Strange. The forum censored '[EDIT]' but not 'mother****er'.

I think I might upload a recording of the call itself, just to complete the picture.

why have you got the number as a  starred caller ?

when did you name them the BT newcasle technical complaints as truecall does not fill in that info, the user does.

CCS would have gotten the info from a debt portfolio file not directly from BT. 

and they

CCS Collect sent me a letter which threatened legal action if I did not pay the £48.

I then phoned CCS and spoke to a woman who sounded quite genuine and said that I should speak to the BT Billing department.

She gave me the number of the BT Billing department (which I don't have to hand now) and I spoke to a man in the BT Billing department who said I owed them £48.

This is in complete contrast to the conversation I had with BT last night on their 0800 800 150 number in which I was told that there were two old accounts in my name which showed a zero balance and that I did not owe BT anything.

Clearly one hand does not know what the other hand is doing, as is the case with most bloated, moribund bureaucracies.

Now to answer the question you have just raised,

I had that department as a starred caller because I have dealt with them over many years on the various technical problems I've had with BT (both their telephone and their email).

It is the number of the department that my technical complaint was escalated to after the usual BT shrugging of shoulders didn't cut it with me any more.

I designated it as a starred caller because I wanted them to be able to get through to me without difficulty.

I wrote "BT Newcastle Technical Complaints" as their name because they were (at the time I was dealing with them, at least) BT's technical complaints department in Newcastle.

Ring their number now and see what happens.

I rang it last night and I got the familiar BT recorded message. 

ccs letter didn't say will anything.

debt collectors cant do court on debts they don't own,.

its good you have the truecall recording as you can get the number off it CCS gave you then.

and they

Had one 10yrs now.

and they

• 3 weeks later...

The plot thickens.

This morning I got a letter from CCSCollect headed 'NOTICE OF INTENDED ACTION'.

It threatened legal action if I did not pay this money (which has now risen from £48 to £60).

So we have two possible alternatives. Either BT actually swore at me, calling me an a**hole and a mother****er, OR CCSCollect are acting for a gang of [problematic].

It has to be either one or the other. So which one is it?

I have scanned and uploaded this letter.

(I tried phoning them just now, as they say that they are open on Saturday mornings, but I got a recorded message; bear in mind that I have spoken to CCS before and they are real.)

So does anyone have any new theories about which is the true version? Is BT manned by foul-mouthed incompetents or do CCS allow themselves to be hired by [EDIT] gangs. 

It must be one or the other.

2019-10-17 CCS letter.pdf

Suggest you send all of the evidence to the CEO of BT posted to Head Office address, advising next port of call will be newspapers who will no doubt have a  lot to say about BT complaints staff phoning customers using bad language as you have mentioned.

This should lead to account being written off and compensation offered,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just for the record, I am uploading the original letter from CCSCollect, which asks me for the money from "BT" (if it is BT).

You can see here that I scribbled some notes at the foot of the letter indicating that I phoned the number CCSCollect gave me as the BT number, and I was told by "BT" that there was an outstanding balance of £48 in the account. They first tiold me that the account wasn't even closed. Then they changed their mind and told me that the account was closed, but that there was a £48 balance still owing.

Assuming that I was speaking to BT, I kept telling them that the email address did not work, which is why I closed the account. 

I recall that I had kept telling BT at the time that the email address didn't work and that I either wanted them to fix the problem or stop charging me their PREMIUM rate charges for an email that didn't work!

On the phone on this occasion the BT man I spoke to (before he called me a mother****er) had asked me if I had actually used the words "! want to cancel this account" specifically. He seemed to be saying this as an excuse for their behaviour of not closing the account when I had complained about it. However, all that is irrelevant, since what I was clearly saying was that I was NOT going to pay good money for an email account that didn't work, and that they shouldn't be charging me money for it in the first place.

Later that day, though, I phoned BT using the operator number (not the number that CCSCollect had given me for BT) and spoke to someone at BT who accessed my accounts (I actually had two old accounts, one for each of the two phone lines that I needed then to do the work that my single Virgin Media account can do now) and he confirmed that neither of these showed any outstanding unpaid balance. I have a recording of that conversation.

So which version is the true version? 

2019-09-15 CCS letter.pdf