• Tweets

• I wonder if anyone can help me. I had a loan with a high street bank from about 10 years ago and I had to stop paying because I lost my job. I reduced my payment to a token payment for a few years but I then ceased this some years ago because I took some advice from an online forum which said that I should ask a ‘Subject Access Report’. I did this and I also asked for a copy of the contract with both signatures which highlighted that myself and the bank had a contract and what its terms were. As the loan was made up of an overdraft and a formal loan I thought they would have paperwork. However, eventually the bank responded by saying that they had no contract and they admitted that as such it was not enforceable in court. Over the last year, the bank have again appointed Moorcroft Debt Recovery Limited to use their strongarm tactics. I have not been responding to the last couple of letters asking me to contact them to arrange a payment plan and now their letters are becoming more threatening. Here is the text of their latest letter……. Quote   We are aware that you have failed to agree an affordable repayment plan with us concerning the above account.   As no agreement has been reached we are now in the process of reviewing your account to consider the steps which may be taken in relation to further debt recovery action. The options include recommending one of the following:   ·         1. Continue in our attempts to contact you by letter and phone. ·         2. Instruct a local representative to arrange to call at your home address to try to re-establish contact with you.   To prevent possible further action you must contact us. Failure to contact us by the 22/10/19 will result in one of the aforementioned debt recovery actions being undertaken without further notice.  Unquote As you can see, they are now getting more threatening. I really do not want people knocking at my door – does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to sort this situation? I do not want to pay for something that seems unenforceable but I do not want knocks at my door either. Any help would be appreciated.   Kind regards    
    • Yes it was a tomlin/consent order I have a recent statement its not showing any additional charges on it. The statement does not show the balance to pay each month, as the contract was terminated in March 17 and the termination bill was added to the account so my payments reduce the account balance £14262.38  Capital £6995.00 Interest £7213.38 Plus 3 x £18 charges  I presume if it went to court again I would be notified?    I thought court costs and charges could increase a balance owing but not be included in arrears or court proceedings when listing the amount owing, or am I wrong?    
    • Check to see if they are adding monthly charges inflating arrears as per DX.
    • .So I’ve been at the flat for a number of years , you had to be a certain age back then, now all ages and couples with young babies get put here , first floor , no garden not a good area not so bad either .   ive just had a letter to say I’ve been taken off the list to transfer to a more appropriate home ,  no notice just taken off, council are saying my age group no longer qualify.. I spoke to equality and human rights council they suggested I complain siting The Public Sector Equality Act 2010. ( The General Duty and Specific Duty)  relating to age discrimination.      But I’ve also come across this in LAW Quarterly online Mag.    LHA’s allocation scheme suspending applicant’s ability to bid (R (Alemi) v Westminster City Council) The High Court has held that Westminster City Council’s allocation scheme suspending certain applicants from bidding for social housing for 12 months breached section 166A(3) of the HA 1996 (setting out which groups of people should be given reasonable preference when allocating housing).   Interesting i thought?               
    • so you've had a notice of assignment then?   if so that's rare for nasty west to sell it on they typically litigate themselves so I bet the debt is vastly inflated with penalty charges and the interest they attract.   i'd be sending NW an sar get all the statements. then go thru them with a fine toothed comb.   could be £1000's to reclaim....   pers i'd stop paying   what was the original debt amount and what is outstanding now a bit more info on the history please   dx    
  • Our picks

Parking Perri

Can My Employer Withhold / Postpone My Salary?

Hi all, really need some advice on this.

I handed in my resignation on 7th September and informed them my last working day would be 3rd October.

I have had written confirmation that they are going to withhold my September salary until the end of October as I'm working a couple of days in October.

Are they legally allowed to do this? My contract does not have any information on a scenario like this.

Thank you for any help

Any idea what I can do about it? Obviously, I was relying on my September payment

I take it that your September payment is due now and for a couple of days they want to put everything together and close your file.

Unfortunately whatever you do, the 3 October is early next week, so no time for anything. 

Just get at them on 04 October to get paid.

Call every hour and escalate to higher manager at every call.

If it is a large organisation go as high as the chain takes you otherwise you'll be forgotten until next payday at the end of October. 

If you sustained any charges for their late payment tell them that they must pay these charges and if they don't,  come back here.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in what happens here as I've been in a similar situation.  It wasn't an issue at the time so I waited.  Perhaps I should have resisted.

it wouldnt be uncommon for salary to be delayed a couple of days so any overtime/expenses/holidat pay etc can be properly sorted. Not paying you for a whole month is a breach of your employmet contract and the company shoule be told that you expect them to make good any overdraft costs etc that you suffer as a result of this breach. if your credit record is damaged you might have a claim for a lot more so yes, nag them every day several times a day and bill them for any costs