tarm39

Advantis - requesting overpaid carers allowance from DWP

Advantis for DWP overpayment of carers allowance.

I've only just moved into my own house and they've sent a letter asking for my whereabouts and a business matter that needs my urgent attention.

I have found out from the DWP and carers that I owe £1,131 and Advantis want me to go through an affordability assessment. 

I am not sure who owns the debt, DWP or Advantis and where I stand with this 

Hello all, 

I have received a letter from Advantis in regards to an overpayment of carers allowance I received when I got a job whilst I was caring for my mother. I did not know I had to inform them etc. 

Long story short, I had a compliance phonecall with carers and nothing more was said. 

I stopped caring for my mum shortly after and cancelled my carers allowance too. 

I was employed for 4 months at the beginning of 2018. 

Apparently the DWP and carers have sent letters but I haven't responded so they've gone through Advantis to recover the amount owed. I moved house shortly after cancelling everything and had no contact from them at all. 

They sent letters to my previous address so they told me that's why it's been passed onto Advantis. 

Today DWP told me that the only thing they can do is take payment in full, or deal with Advantis to come up with a payment plan. 

I spoke to Advantis who asked me to pay in full or in two installments, I refused and they then said they've put my account on hold for 30 days whilst I go away and work out my monthly income etc so they can go through an affordability assessment to work out how much I can pay back and how often. 

What shall I do? DWP tell me there's nothing they can do as it's been passed onto Advantis. 

Advantis tell me they are working on behalf of the DWP... Nobody will tell me who owns the debt.

What shall I do? 

Thank you all in advance for your amazing help. 

ignore advantis totally 

you should NEVER ring a DCA either on any debt!!

deal with DWP directly regardless to what they say on the phone.

are you sure they are correct with the 'debt'/amount?

if not use their SAR link on their website and get all the data

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

DWP are telling me they can't do anything now and I need to speak to Advantis or just pay the DWP in full. 

Which I can't do. 

Yeah I am sure the debt amount is correct but don't want to deal with Advantis and would rather not go through them. If DWP don't get the money from me through Advantis what will happen then? 

no much they can do but take it out of future benefits. Or paye aeo.

get the sar running

see the DWP website

and IGNORE advantis totally

you can pay DWP directly in instalments 1000's are.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

You could contact Carers Allowance to ask for copies of the overpayment paperwork to be sent to you. Or ask in the SAR to DWP for copies of the paperwork.

If you earned above a certain level, then I suspect that for each week where your income exceeded the threshold, all of the Carers Allowance is repayable. And they may have added an administrative penalty.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The DWP owns the debt, it does not sell debts as commercial companies do.

If you ignore Advantis, it will eventually give up and pass the administration of the debt back to the DWP.

If you do not make a payment arrangement with the DWP at that stage, the next step is likely to be a Direct Earnings Attachment if you are on the PAYE system or deductions from any current benefits.

The debt will be deducted from your wages at a set percentage depending on how much you earn.

It is better to try to negotiate an affordable repayment plan before that happens.

• Like 1

Hello all, 

I ignored the letter advantis sent demanding the money in full immediately or if I can't pay then to organise a payment plan after they do their own affordability assessment... I know they will do their best to make me pay the absolute maximum possible so I took people's advice and ignored that letter.

This was over 2 weeks ago and I've not heard anything back.

Should I contact the DWP or just await a letter from them as I guess the debt will just get passed back to the DWP from advantis?

Advantis also stated that they would "take it further" if I didn't reply "immediately" but im aware DCAs can't do a thing based on some great advice on here from some very helpful people...

I just don't want to get some bailiffs turning up from the DWP.

I'm happy to pay an amount

I can afford per month to the DWP themselves 

but I do not want to deal with advantis at all...

What do you think the best course of action is for me?

Can the DWP make me pay it back and if so how?

Also to note, I am self employed so I won't ever be involved with PAYE as I don't earn a set wage and I'm not employed.

I don't get any benefits either. 

Not sure if that really makes much of a difference or not but wanted to mention it just in case. 

bailiffs?? where did ever get that idea come from??

there are no such things as dwp bailiffs

and a dca most certainly are not ever bailiffs and can never involve a bailiff .

did you do that DWP sar as advised 

got all the data yet to prove the DWP claim?

spreadsheets