• Tweets

• Hi All, There are a few other threads on this forum regarding a 6-a-side league called Football Mundial(FM). Some have been charged for leaving the league early, late cancellation of games etc. (https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/387710-iconcollections-football-league-debt/?tab=comments#comment-4642466)   We had a few cancelled games, which we notified the league of in advance, where we were unable to field a team. I received an email asking if I was still in the league and 7 mins later received an invoice for leaving the league early plus cancellation charges amounting to >£400. Our team had not pulled out of the league. I was out of the country with No access to emails, and was unable to respond for a couple of weeks. I then received an email from Icon DCA requesting payment.   As we never left the league I wrote to FM and said I disputed it and that they cannot send DCA's after customers for false charges. Does this not constitute harrassment? They said that if we went back to the league, they would drop the charges, however after this treatment that is the last thing I want to do. I told them we would not be returning as a result of the treatment we have received and would not be paying.   They have now come back with some late cancellation charges and have still included the 'Leaving league' charge.   Now, the late cancellation charges are probably legit. We notified them about 12 hours in advance so they had time to notify the opponent. But after receiving a number of False charges in addition, I do not want to settle part of it and still be chased for the false part. It annoys me that they feel they can issues false charges and pressure people into paying up.   Am I being blind to my own wrong-doing here or am I in the right? Should I be concerned with this being taken to court? Should I write to the DCA?   Thanks! Gibbon  
    • I forgot to add I originally messaged them via there website which I still have access to . Was this Ok ? 
    • If I copied anybody into your complaint it would be your local Care Commissioning Group, not the GMC...
    • So ignore emails from ADCB now ?  I told them they will have to contact me by email and it will have to go to UK courts
    • Hello   Not a legal issue as such but wasn't sure where to ask advice on this.   I have just been awarded £2050 on a PPI claim.  I went through a claims company so i expected to pay them 40% plus VAT of the claim won.  However, i am querying the quoted court costs (which i was not informed about prior to this).  They are quoting the following court costs: -   £205 - Court Issue Fee £335 - Court Hearing Fee   I am no legal expert but these seem very high for such a small financial claim.  I will be lucky to see £500 of the initial £2050 if this is correct (yes i understand the 40% i could have avoided if i didnt use the claims company).  If these costs seem realistic then no probs with agreeing to them but if the claims company artificially inflated these for their own gain i would be none the wiser.     Can anyone advise please?   Thanks 
  • Our picks

Danielh9

Moriarty Law PAP - re old ADCB debt in UAE

Hi

I have received not one but three of the same PAP letters (just different amounts and details) from Moriarty Law, allegedly for three different ADCB credit cards taken out in UAE in 2009 for a total debt they claim is now almost 200,000 pounds across the three accounts. 

I think I may have had one credit card from them, but there was nowhere near that amount outstanding, if anything, when I left the UAE for good on September 30, 2010.

There is a difference with my case, however and I need some advice. 

I have lived in Hong Kong since 2012 (I am a permanent resident there) and the letters have been sent to my elderly mother's address, which is where my UK bank account is registered, and have been forwarded to me. Though they are dated August 20 and 21 I only received them yesterday.

There are also two follow-up "Final demand before proceedings letter" both dated September 8.

In previous years there have only been various DCA letters sent which have all been ignored

My queries are this:

1. What would happens if the letters were returned with a note that this person is "no longer lives at this address" - moved abroad”

2. Or should I return the PAP reply form anyway as set out on this forum but with no address on it (it might confuse them with a Hong Kong stamp on the envelope I guess)

3. If I do that, should I send the three forms separately or together?

4. Should I return it saying I have left the country adn not to send any more correspondece to my old address?

5 Or is there any other advice you can give. 

I am not sure if I reveal that I am in Hong Kong that could stop UK proceedings, could I have a CCJ in absentia and could it be enforced, or whether could chase me for it in Hong Kong which has a similar statue of limitation law to UK?

Thanks for any speedy advice. Time is short because it takes four or five days for post to get between UK and HK.

For a UK Court to be used the claimant would need to believe you were resident in the UK. The UK Bank account means you have a UK credit record linked to your Mothers address.

You could leave it until they issue UK Court claims and get your Mum to tell you immediately when they are received in the post. Then issue the defence that you are not resident in the UK ( providing your HK address) and tick box disputing jurisdiction.

But probably better to contact Moriarty Law and advise you are resident in HK and provide proof of being a HK resident. 

Yes a CCj could be obtained in your absence with Enforcement officers instructed to visit your Mums address. They would be looking for you to pay or seize your assets to sell. 

UK Courts accept foreign statute of limitations, as there is legislation allowng this. UAE limitations is 10 years.  Check HK law in regard to foreign debt enforcement in HK.

Suggest you email or fax Moriarty Law with your HK information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

My mother is in her 80s and very poorly, lives alone and just home after a serious illness for which she was hospitalised for weeks.  I really don't want her bothered by any of this. Grateful for advice on how best to proceed.

I can return PAP reply form(s) disputing claim if that buys time.

follow post 5 here for each one

simply reply that you are and have been a permanent resident in HK since date.

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Thank you dx100uk for that

A few final queries, just to be absolutely clear:

Are you recommending I do this form three times - once for each alleged debt, tick box D on each and state:

I dispute this debt because..I am not resident in UK and have been a permanent resident of Hong Kong since xxxx ?

And do I need to tick/add anything else like box I and a request for further documentation? 

Also on address/details etc at top of reply form should I just leave that blank and put Name and Reference Number only, because obviously UK address is not my address any more? Don't wish to reveal my  HK address unless absolutely necessary and to avoid harassment here.

Do I need to enclose a copy of my HK permanent resident's ID card for example to prove I am resident there?

Can I return them all in same envelope or should I send separately?

Sorry for all the questions questions, but want to be precise and never had to deal with anything like this. The thought that bailiffs could go to my ailing mother's house if a CCJ was issued is very worrying, frankly makes me sick to my stomach.

Thanks again

no good you keep hiding!! that's the route cause of why you are in this predicament now.

fill out the forms 1 for each as advised.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

Sorry, I'm not with you, I'm not hiding from anyone, just asking for precise advice on filling out the forms:

do I give a HK address or not? 

And where do I state that I am now resident of HK? 

Thank you and everyone else here for helping

you indicated...

Don't wish to reveal my HK address unless absolutely necessary and to avoid harassment here.

…….

that's why you are in this mess..

there is an address box on our reply form..use it

because ...I have been a permanent resident of HK since date..

spreadsheets 

Thank you. I will return ASAP and update here when I hear anything back

Three forms in the post first thing this morning from HK, should arrive by Monday and  will be notified on delivery. Will update here when I get a reply from ML

Forms delivered to ML at 9.57am today and signed for. Will update when/if they reply