DVLA Tax ***Resolved***

Jeff64
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sold my car to a friend on 31/03/19 and he taxed it straight away for the 1st April.

I couldn't stop the DD for DVLA coming out first thing Monday morning (bit slow) £47.25.

Anyway wrote to DVLA for refund , they said they couldn't return any money for a part month of Tax even though this not true , allowing for a notification period ! mind you the new owner Taxing the car should have been the notification.

I disagreed with this because DVLA had had the new owners money straight away. I applied for a refund through my bank on the direct debit guarantee scheme and got it.

In the meantime I have had a letter from DVLA enforcement for me to pay the money even though I was not the owner and no lapse in Tax has occurred.

It seem quite clear that DVLA are using the vehicle Excise & Registration Act 1994 as a back door to making more money out of tax paying consumers !

Any legal thoughts ? Should I hold out and go to Court ?

Cancel your vehicle tax by telling DVLA you no longer have the vehicle or it’s off the road. You get a refund for any full months of remaining tax.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-refund

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

It depends when the DVLA change the  keeper details, if it is after the first of the month, the old keeper will still be liable for that month, a new keeper will also be liable for that month as they are the registered keeper for their part of the month.. Vehicle licensing duty is a monthly matter, any part of a month counts as the same month for both.

Yes DVLA are saying on the 02/04/19 so I am liable for the month , however as I mentioned the new keeper paid the Tax on the 1st April so DVLA were aware (or should have been) that there was a new keeper.

The V5 signed by both buyer and seller confirm this , so in fact DVLA are getting 2 times the payment due.

Further as the Department has nor sustained a loss , has anyone tested in Court ?

thanks JP

Vehicle licensing has always been on a monthly basis, not a daily basis. Refunds are only made for complete outstanding months. You were the registered keeper for part of the month covered by the licence and so no refund is due to you for that month. When a new registered keeper takes out a licence part way through the month, that will also be for that month.

The ideal way would to SORN at the end of the month (assumes an off-road storage for a few days, then transfer ownership beginning of next month. That way the maximum prepaid tax will be returned and the least lost tax for the new owner/keeper.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Thank you for all your replies.

The transfer date was the 31st March, DVLA are saying they only give Tax back from the date they receive V5 .

You have to therefore rely on the post office to deliver ! Another person has told me to show DVLA the bill of sale I drew up with the new buyer as it proves I was no longer the owner and therefore not liable for Tax ?

thanks again.

The registered keeper (who may or may not be the owner) is responsible for licensing the vehicle.  As you were the registered keeper for part of that month (until the DVLA changed the registered keeper), you are liable for licensing the vehicle for that month.

Edited by Raykay

Precisely why I suggest Sorning at the end of the month as it can be done online and is instantaneous!

• Like 1

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Dear Gick , yes you are quite right.

It seems unfair that as the new keeper paid the Tax on the vehicle straight away on the 1st of April that DVLA are making twice the amount of Tax  as due ?

Thanks

Jeff

Beat the DVLA

Great news DVLA seem to have accepted my explanation of when I sold my car "on this occasion no further action will be taken on this case".

Was worried about this was prepared to go to Court but would have faced Government Barristers , was about to just pay up and move on. But in the end the little person won and The Department seem to accept the reasonable understanding that it is wrong to expect 2 months worth of TAX and wasn't prepared to risk this in Court ....think they have had a bad week already with Boris.

Best advice is what GICK said above and SORN your vehicle.

Thanks for all the help and support 

Jeff

thumbnail_IMG_0951.jpg

👍

Well done thread title updated.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• AndyOrch changed the title to DVLA Tax ***Resolved***