JBW CTAX debt - threatening to take my goods

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1674 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Urgent advice please

I got phoned this morning from a JBW person saying he's been told to take my goods.

There's a back story of course ; it's in connection with a council tax debt.

Am I correct in thinking that I am not obliged to let him in?

I had a visit on 7 Aug but kept my chain lock on and can do that again.

I'm assuming they can't kick the door in - is that correct?

But can they call the police out who, I assume,  can gain entry?

I'd appreciate it if someone could get back a.s.a.p because I think he may be round later

No rights to force entry or involve Police.  They can visit and in the absence of being allowed peaceful entry, they can look to seize goods outside of where you live. e.g. cars, bikes, which they believe you might own.

If they fail to collect, they will look at other methods to collect the amount due.  You could be required to attend Magistrates and then you could not refuse to enter into a payment arrangement.

Suggest that you contact the Council  in writing  for details of the liability orders they have and advise them of your ability to pay the amounts owed.  Advise them, that you would like to enter into an affordable repayment arrangement.  Get proof of posting.  Keep a copy of the letter.  Then you have proof, if asked by a Magistrate that you have not refused to pay the debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to JBW CTAX debt - threatening to take my goods

tell us about this CTAX debt

this year?

last year?

what letters you've had previously and from whom?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you all for getting back.

The bailiff still hasn't returned,  but JBW have form for this.

The matter has been rumbling on for months now and I've provided everything they've asked for

eg proof of payments I have made to them

(bank statements - no idea why they hadn't kept their own records of monies received....);

proof of 'health matters' (I sent a letter from my GP 'to whom it may concern' plus a DWP letter confirming my DLA plus a copy of my Disabled Badge). 

Following these proofs what reply do you think I got from JBW? NOTHING...

Until, a few days later I will get a terse text or letter from JBW, the gist of which is 'You owe us money, pay the full amount due or we will send a bailiff round'

So, in absence of any other info from them, I would not be surprised to see this bailiff turn up on my doorstep any day soon.

I'm really sick to death of it all (see my name).

I've got their Customer Complaint Form in which I will be detailing the full story.

I don't really hold up much hope, though, because they are not independent; it will probably be dealt with by the same employees who have been giving me such grief. 

I'd be interested in any other JBW experiences people have had.

They cannot take your vehicle as you have a Blue Badge so all you have to do is keep the doors locked and ignore them. They'll give up eventually and the parting shot will be a letter about committal to prison. You can ignore that too. Your local council will then contact you. Try to set up an affordable repayment as if you are receiving benefits, deductions can be made which are quite high so you should try to avoid that.

If you have a lot of debt, there are solutions available which can write it off or possibly negate liability.

Edited by Will Goodfellow

Thank you, Will. Good to know they can't make off with my car. It's only worth £300 +/- anyway but it's necessary for me and I couldn't afford another one.

The council tax subject to JBW's keen scrutiny is the 2018/2019 one due - basically because the council & bailiffs sent everything to the wrong address. However I have an agreement in place for the current 2019/2020 council tax. This won't go to court as long as I keep to the agreement (which is what I normally do anyway)

Have you claimed council tax reduction? A lot of people are ending up with full council tax bills as claiming universal credit does not trigger a council tax reduction claim as applying for housing benefit did.

You can complete a benefit check to see if you are entitled to council tax reduction here:

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Also make sure that you are getting the 25% reduction if you live alone.

Just make sure the Blue badge is visible in the car so the JBW bailiff can see it, otherwise he might clamp to put pressure on you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

An update:

I sent all my details to their Complaints dept.

One of the (number of) grievances I have with JBW is to do with the fact that

- back in March we'd set up an agreement for me to pay £60 a month. the 21st June was the last payment they took.

NB NB - I did NOT cancel it, nor did a payment bounce. I tried to find out why but nobody answered my emails & letters.

I had already set up an S/O to pay Bromley council direct.

By 19th July I had made total payments of nearly £760 - on a debt of £897.

I was feeling pleased that this would all be over soon.

On 7th August - I was stunned to find one of their bailiffs banging loudly on my door!!!

When leaving he left a form which started "... due to your continual refusal to pay...." 

I was so angry I thought my  head would burst.

More happens but suffice to say due to this I made a comprehensive complaint. I had just returned from the post office and found I had a letter from JBW.

They claim they are returning this case to (Bromley) with the recommendation that an application be made to the Magistrates Court for your committal to prison on the grounds of:

• "Wilful Refusal To Pay and/or Culpable Neglect"   and
  • "You have ignored numerous opportunities to clear your arrears by instalments .."
  •  

On what planet does paying £760 towards a £897 debt constitute a "refusal to pay" ??

I'm just so LIVID about this.

Does anyone know if  this is a standard letter and, if so, how long does it take to wend it's way to court?

How long have I got before I need to pack my bags for a prison stay??????????

Get the Councillor on the case

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

On 18/09/2019 at 19:11, sicktodeathofthem said:

They claim they are returning this case to (Bromley) with the recommendation that an application be made to the Magistrates Court for your committal to prison on the grounds of:

• "Wilful Refusal To Pay and/or Culpable Neglect"  (WTF 1) and
  • "You have ignored numerous opportunities to clear your arrears by instalments .." (WTF 2)

On what planet does paying £760 towards a £897 debt constitute a "refusal to pay" ??

Does anyone know whether this is a standard letter and, if so, how long does it take to wend it's way to court? How long have I got before I need to pack my bags for a prison stay??????????

I would hate to say that this letter is 'standard' because it isn't....but it is common. Can I please assure you that you will NOT be subject to an application to the Magistrates Court. 

JBW are returning the case back to their client. That may take a week or so. It would be wise call the council in around 10 days time. Please keep the forum updated with their response. 

On 18/09/2019 at 19:11, sicktodeathofthem said:

I'm just so LIVID about this. Does anyone know what f this is a standard letter and, if so, how long does it take to wend it's way to court? How long have I got before I need to pack my bags for a prison stay??????????

It's the usual process (post 7), as you have nearly paid the debt just continue to do so and forget about the bailiffs, they've given up.

Part of the problem is that - since JBW stopped collecting the £60 a month, I don't know how to pay them. 

If I knew their bank details I would set up a standing order and re-activate the payment that way.

I doubt if they would actually send it back once they got their hands onit..

I still haven't had a reply about my complaint.

Does anyone know how long these things usually take?

Whatever it is, going by experience, I have found JBW to be among the worst companies I have ever dealt with as far as replying to anything is concerned.

I have sent several (about 6? 8?) letters and emails requesting info both to their Darlington office and their London (Head office?). Most of these remain unanswered.

For example - what is the 2nd liability order for?

Why was the summons sent to the wrong address - thus ensuring I would not be able to attend the court hearing - even though they had my current address.

Why did they cancel the £60 a month payments I had been making to them?

I'm not sure if this headache is the result of spite on their part - or sheer incompetence.

What happens if JBWs complaints people don't reply?

Is there an Ombudsman I can refer the case to?

And thirdly.....

I got a letter from JBW asking me for 3 months bank statements so they can check my finances,m see what I can pay etc. 

This what they asked for when they first contacted me in February this year

- and I had supplied them with everything they asked for, 

and that's when we agreed the £60 a month,m starting March 2019.

It seems as though they are starting from square one again.

But why?

And why are they doing this when they sent that other letter threatening imprisonment???

I k now the answer is probably

- Why don't you ask them?

But such is my experience that is a waste of time.

Email your local councillor, they can clear this up