My data proection rights.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few weeks ago i recieved an email from a business that i'd used about 10-12 years ago. I have had no business with them since. The email contained an attachment that looked like a document i needed to see. I attempted to open the document but it wouldn't open (on my phone). I replied to the email and asked what the attachement was about. The response was that it had been sent in error and i shouldn't open the attachment (too late). I was quite angry about this for 2 reasons:

1. i'd been sent a potential virus or other software that could of caused lots of problems wih my phone and or PC
  2. This business had held my email details for over 10 years without my knowledge or permission.

I asked for an explaination on this but i haven't receienved any response.

Can i demand that this business inform me what details they hold on me and can i insist that they remove ALL my details from their databases?

Yes you can. SAR first perhaps.

Data protection law has always been that data should only be retained for as long as it is appropriate and then only used when appropriate.

For example, say you bought an electronic product and you needed to be contacted about safety issues. It would be appropriate to retain your contact details for an appropriate period of time. What is appropriate depends on what is involved, but you can ask them to remove your data.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread