nick7602

Cars Engine has stopped Working????.......Caldicot Trade Sales Ltd of Newport

Hi And Thanks For Looking

I purchased a high mileage car with cash, I have only had the car 8 weeks with the car being off the road for most of the time,

I asked a Master Vehicle Technician from Mercedes to diagnose the reason why the car will not start, he found that the engines cam shaft gear has no teeth on it so the car will not move

, he told me that this is a very well known problem with this particular vehicle..

...which sadly I didn't know about......

.Its my wifes car and she loves it.......

.. and she wants the car repaired correctly.....

, currently I dont think its fit for purpose..

....what can I do ???

what are my rights please

Kind Regards

Nick

In principle, within the first six months you have the right to insist on a repair and if the repair fails then a replacement or a refund of all your money.

This rights provided under the consumer rights act and I suggest that you write the company immediately and assert the right by telling them that this is what you want and that you are making the request under the consumer rights act.

However, it would be helpful if you tell us a bit more about the car – the mileage, the price, why it has been off the road so long, who has been dealing with it? What correspondence has been exchanged between you and the seller, who is the seller?

And also I'm struggling to understand why you've been here since 2010 and you've only just decided to come and ask for some advice when it would probably have been much more helpful if you had started making enquiries about this in the first week of ownership of the vehicle.

Thank you for replying to my post, I have sent the trader Caldicot Trade Sales Ltd of Newport, Gwent outlining that I would like a Repair of the Vehicles engine and have mentioned the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in that letter as you have mentioned above thank you.

The vehicle is a Mercedes CLK 200 Kompressor Sport,

the vehicle has a full independent Service History, and has a current MOT until 2020,

the vehicle has 145K mileage, 

I paid cash for the vehicle and have had a couple of niggles with the vehicle,

these being an electric mirror and headlight switch pack being faulty,

replaced the rear tyres due to the tread being on the legal limit,

I have paid for new brakes front discs being very poor, and brake pads all around,

the car has now been off the road for two weeks,

with ownership being only 8 weeks.

I have heard from the Mechanic who came out to see and diagnose the vehicle, that the concern mentioned above is common with these vehicles if they have lived outside of the Franchised Dealer Service Network such as this one has,

further more Mercedes Know of the concern and declined to do a recall only addressing the above concern if the customer raised it with the Franchised dealer where an upgraded kit of parts replaced the absurdly soft gears on the camshaft as it was a design production failure, but only if the customer raised the concern??

First Joined this brilliant forum in 2010, and I suffer from PTSD a mental health condition and my memory isn't to good sadly, yes you are absolutely right I should have approached the forum earlier.....but im not in a good place most of the time

You haven't told us how much you paid. You also haven't told us the age of the vehicle.

Why did you pay cash rather than a credit card?

Did you raise any of the other issues that emerged with the dealer? What was the response?

Also I suddenly realise that you don't appear to have taken up this major problem with the dealer at all. I'm very rarely on the side of the dealer but it must have been at least reasonable to bring it to their attention and to give them a chance. Is there any reason why you haven't approached them?

Is this the company? https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11961803

It looks like a very new company – incorporated April this year

Age of the vehicle is a 2009, paid cash £2999 as I had the money to do so at that time but can now no longer work due to ill health, raised the issue once I understood what the concern was, as it would be ridiculous to state that the car no longer runs without investigation, although its not down to me to investigate and confirm that the vehicle no longer runs and why under the consumer rights act 2015 Im sure you would agree?....... had to wait a week or so to arrange the Mechanic to have look at it.

So yes we have brought it to their attention now that we know what the concern is, I have also sent one of the directors who sold me the car a text message with photographic evidence??

In relation to the other concern which was the switch pack, the director offered and paid only half of the £160 bill, the other things previously stated such as brakes and tyres we paid for assuming that these are wear and tear items and possibly couldn't be claimed for, so although they are a niggle we paid for them out of our own pocket on that basis

And yes it is a new Company formed in April 

Edited by nick7602

This is the Letter sent to Caldicot Trade Sales Ltd, attached to this letter was the signed receipt from both parties for the purchase of the vehicle, also photographic evidence has been supplied.

Letter as follows:

Caldicot Trade Sales Ltd, - Mercedes CLK 200 Kompressor Sport

Former Registration Number: …..– Current Registration: …..

I purchased the Mercedes CLK 200 Kompressor Sport from Caldicot Trade Sales Ltd. At the point of purchase, I paid £2999.

The Mercedes CLK 200 Kompressor Sport is unfit for purpose. Car Will Not Start and run, we have subsequently had a Mercedes Master Technician Diagnose the Car and have found that the car is not currently fit for purpose due to a timing chain concern with this cars M271 Engine, which he has confirmed this car has.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with Caldicot Trade Sales Ltd that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As you are in breach of contract, and I've owned the product for less than 6 months I am within my statutory rights to ask for it to be repaired at no further cost or inconvenience to me and at a repairer of my choice.

I await confirmation that you will provide the remedy set out above within 14 days of the date of this letter.

So what do I do when they won't repair the vehicle??......