unclebulgaria67

Online security and online Banking.

Hi

Question not related to debt or a complaint yet.

From September 2019, Banks now have to email a code to a registered mobile number, when you attempt an online shop purchase.  This is just additional security.  This additional security measure does not seem to come up with every online purchase.

The problem arises when the mobile number registered is not working or is an old number.

In my case, I have updated my mobile number in a NatWest branch today, as they had an old mobile number and a landline number.  It seems that the Banks security page that comes up after entering payment details is not updated straightaway.

I had been trying to avoid online Banking, as until recently there was a question mark about security, but it seems that if you want to be able to enjoy online shopping you need to have online Banking.  I phoned the NatWest helpline and their service now seems to be centered around having online Banking, as they ask for online Banking ID numbers and two numbers from pin number.  The person I spoke to at the Bank also indicated that if you want full control over your Banking, that you really need to register for online Banking.  I have registered for this now, as it seems the only way I will be able to have hassle free Banking.  

Anyone else had these issues ?    

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

BBC article on this new online payment security.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49556473

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Its going to cause issues for some where they live in a mobile Not Spot or don't have a landline.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Yes it will cause many problems.

For example, if you use mobile AP's to buy travel tickets e.g. Bus ticket to get to work, if the mobile number is not the one listed on your Banks security records, you may not be able make the purchase. If you don't have the cash to buy the bus ticket, you might be a bit stuck.

If you live remotely without a car and you order supermarket food delivery, you might be prevented from ordering online, if you cannot receive the security code on a mobile.

The rural online order scenario is highly likely, many not spots for mobiles in rural areas, dependent on carrier.

Other one will please the rapacious Car parking Cowboys, as many use an Online payment system for the car parks they infest as does NCP and some Councils.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!