Harlands - again!

horatiocaine
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, just after some advice about a DD I cancelled which was for a 12mth gym membership.

a month or so in I asked to change to a different/cheaper membership option because I was not happy some aspects of the membership I was paying for.

I didn't think it would be a problem at all.

After a month or so of the gym not replying to emails etc, they finally respond by refusing to make the change which I think was pretty cheeky.

The emails were cc'd to harlands and I did warn I would cancel the DD.

Predictably the emails flood in from Harlands saying I have to reinstate the DD and pay their made up charges.

I responded twice by email to them explaining that I feel the gym has broken it's own contract by not providing the service expected (in the small print on the contract T&C's it said they have to provide the reasonably expected equipment/services etc).

Bizarrely about 3 weeks ago Harlands sent an email asking if I would like to make a complaint and heard nothing since until now.

They are now threatening to send a DCA for a ridiculous amount if I don't pay £136.

Just wondering what my next step should be - make a settlement offer, trading standards?

Thanks

Cheers. I read a load of topics but couldn't find a case similar to this.

It's a weird one because I didn't want to flat out cancel the membership but ran into an officious jobsworth on a bit of a power trip.

I just wanted to swap the membership to a swim only instead of full because the gym turned out to be unusable in the evenings when I could go in (under equipped on really basic stuff but a zillion treadmills I don't use). Ok, I should have realised but there you go.

I'd like to offer £50 or something to shut them up but it will surely just make them think their scare tactics are working.

No reasoning with these bleepers. 

just send the std slick132 letter

simply offer 1 mths membership but no unlawful fees.

give them 14 days to like it or lump if then ignore them.

stop using email

block and bounce back all from them.

use 2nd class ROYAL MAIL with free proof of posting from a PO counter.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yup, just offer 1 month's fees for the cancellation period. Do NOT offer £50  for any reason as this will NOT help to resolve your issue.

Use one of my drafts to offer the 1 month's fee - after that, ignore Harlands/CRS.

😎

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 1 month later...

Well my letters were ignored

Got another email from the gym saying I should pay or incur more fees. Harlands have predictably put it through to their "credit resolution services" goons with a £722 balance. 

Just going to ignore the morons from now on.

Edited by horatiocaine

hi Horatio,

I'm sure you already know that Harlands and CRS are the same outfit.

Are they seriously now saying you owe £722 - if so that's a record from my experiences of their lunacy !!

In any event, continue to ignore ..........

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 1 month later...

Hi they haven't given up! 

Funnily enough, the gym head office agreed with my complaint and offered to change the membership a month or so back. I agreed on the basis that Harlands would give up their harassment. And... I have heard nothing back and it goes on like a broken record! 

It's probably not sensible to reinstate any form of membership anyway because I wouldn't trust Harlands with my bank details again. 

Going to have fun leaving some reviews of the gym now!

Edited by horatiocaine

Hi Horatio,

I agree - probably best to avoid any chance of Harlands having a live DD mandate in their favour again.

Can you tell us what gym this is about, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We haven't seen Zinc being used much by Harlands/CRS recently. That's probably 'cos Zinc do nothing other than threaten.

If they contact you, simply ignore them but keep us posted.

• 1 month later...

a dca is not a bailiff

get reading like threads here.

dx

and they

Zinc will seek payment and ask you to contact them.

Doesn't matter how much they ask for - ignore and they'll pass it back to Harlands/CRS.