• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please help.

I had a visit from a bailiff on 14 Sept. 

He informed me he was recording me and told me he was here to collect unpaid council tax. 

I've had no letters telling me that bailiffs were going to visit. 

The last letter I received was from the council on 7 January 2019 informing me of the amount outstanding.

It's for a previous address that I moved out of. 

I told him that no-one had told me about the amount outstanding and that it had been passed onto bailiffs. 

He said that was impossible and he said he was going to come back and remove my goods. 

He handed me a letter and left.

I checked all my letters in case I had missed something, but there is nothing from the council or the bailiffs.

( I did notice the date I moved out was wrong on the letter dated 7 January).

A bailiff visited on Monday while I was at the doctors and left a letter with my dad. 

He visited again yesterday and I spoke to him and asked him to give me a chance to sort this out as the citizens advice centre is only open part time and I can't get an appointment for another 2 weeks. 

I ended up closing the door on him, because he said I could be arrested for unpaid council tax.

He pushed a letter through the letterbox (without an envelope) and left.

I made a payment of £20 by bank transfer after he left, and emailed the company to say I was seeking advice and that the payment was to show I was willing to pay.

The same bailiff visited again this evening, this time I did not open the door. 

He knocked for ages and he pushed another letter through the letterbox, again without an envelope. 

This time the letter says that I have to pay £322.77 immediately. 

I don't have that kind of money.

I am on universal credit to top up my wages as I have an long term injury that limits the hours I can work,

I have been making payments to the council, not a lot but as much as I could manage. 

I also had to move back to my parents due to the injury. 

The visits have really stressed out my parents (.both over 70). 

I am worried that he is going to come back tomorrow and hassle my parents while I am at work.

My mum suffers from anxiety and is easily intimidated and her english is poor,

I'm worried she'll have another panic attack.

Can anyone please advice me what I can do.

Thank you.

everything to date would have been sent to your old address the council concerned had

which  I will assume is not your current council?

and the bailiff has traced you to where you are now. after they got a liability order.

do/did you have a notice of enforcement [£75 fee giving 7 days to make contact]

expand on your story and the letters you have now received. please

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Email your local councillor, explaining everything.  Details should be available on Google. At least a 50% chance they can sort this out rapidly

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The council were aware of my new address, I received the letter dated 7 January at my new address.  The letter is asking for payment in full or to contact the department to set up a payment plan, or they would take further action without notice.  They also have my email address.

The letter handed to me on the first bailiff visit is a one page letter entitled Enforcement agent visit.  It's asking for the sum of £1861.35 inclusive of fees and costs.  It has the phone number of the agent on it.

The letter from the second visit (Monday) is a letter called enforcement notice. It says becaause I haven't made full payment the bailff has re-attended to take control of goods.

The letter from the third visit (Tuesday) is a removal notice saying that as I haven't paid he is going to take my goods away to sell at auction. He will return to take my goods away at a time convienient to him and I don't have to be at the property for him to take my goods away.

The letter from the forth visit (today) is entitled council tax- committal notice.  It says as I haven't paid dispite previous visits and communications they do not believe that further calls will establish any agreement and "we are therefore left with no alternative but to endorse our instruction that you have willfully refused to pay the sum outstanding inclusive of fees and costs.  The local authority will have a number of further sanctions that they can consider, including the option of applying to the Magistrates Court to seek you committal to prision".  There is a hand written note stating that £322.77 is due immediately under court order.

I do not have a notice of enforcement giving me 7 days to make contact.

I hope that clarifies the communication I have had.

well as you've probably spotted

unless you let them in.

not a lot they can do.

and ofcourse you don't have too either.

id try londons idea 1st

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You received a  letter from the council on 7th January  to request payment in full (you have not mentioned the actual amount). 

What have you done in the 9 month period since receiving the letter? 

Did you contact the council?

Did you make a payment arrangement with the council?

If so, how much have you paid towards clearing the debt?

The fact that they have an email address is immaterial as it's not a contact method they are required to use.  In January you received a notice from the council - did you contact them to make an arrangement or have you simply left it from then to now without any action ?

had a visit from a bailiff on 14 Sept. 

Do you mean 14 August ?

You mention they handed you a notice - I would suspect that was possibly your 7 day notice - do you have a copy of it you can post (obscuring identifiable details).

Unfortunately I don't think I did contact the council,  I was on some prety strong pain killers (pregabalin) around that time that left me confussed and exhausted.  I can't find anything to the council on my computer.  Thankfully I'm no longer on those pain killers.

I have made payments to the council, not a lot, but I only earn around £400 a month including universal credit.

I've paid £10 a month since March, apart from June when I paid £5 because I had some unpaid sick leave os I was paid a lot less.

Yes, sorry I meant the letter I was given on the visit 14 August, I've attached a copy.

bailiff visit 1.pdf

are you not entitled to council tax relief if you are on UC?

and they

On 04/09/2019 at 20:56, London1971 said:

Email your local councillor, explaining everything.  Details should be available on Google. At least a 50% chance they can sort this out rapidly

Would my local councillor help me as the debt is with a different local authority?

I've been doing some research this weekend and realised that the council are asking for a month extra in council tax, I don't know if the payments I have made have been taken into account, the bailifs have not sent me a notice of enforcement and the last two visits may have breached the data protection act by the bailiff posting my letters through the letterbox without an envelope, so that everyone in the house could see my details, which I haven't discussed in full with them.

I may also be classed as a vulnerable person because of my income (or rather lack of) and reliance on universal credit.  I need to check this with my local CAB when it re-opens tomorrow.

To address these issues should I write to the bailiffs or the council, or both?  And should I put all this in one letter or a different one for each issue?  There seems to be conflicting advice about this and not a lot of detail.

not sure where you got UC classes you as vulnerable??

CAB can be pretty useless too

so its now sunday ....

that email should have gone off to the councillor Thursday

use your local one, wont hurt...

and they

Ignore the bailiffs, they are sending the debt back to the council which is enforcing it. You can negotiate with the council when it contacts you. Try to gather evidence of the dates you are liable if an extra month has been added. 

Don't ignore it as deductions from UC can be a lot higher than a negotiated repayment plan and are difficult to reduce. 

9 hours ago, dx100uk said:

not sure where you got UC classes you as vulnerable??

CAB can be pretty useless too

so its now sunday ....

that email should have gone off to the councillor Thursday

use your local one, wont hurt...

UC = not vulnerable, but worth a doctors / consultants note if a you are / were on any meds, outlining side effects etc.

Overall message to get over to local councillor is along the lines of ' I understand the importance of paying council tax, but due to XYZ I fell behind, now the demands being made by Bailiffs are impossible.  I would be able to afford XYZ per month (to be reviewed in 6 months), 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread