MacBook Air dead after 4 years bought from John Lewis***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all 

my MacBook Air is dead after 4 years cost £1000, bought from John Lewis, so I took it back and asked for it to be repaired under sales of goods act 1979 but they Shaun it’s out of warranty both online to customer services and Instore. So I explained soga to manager who still said no. So I gave them a letter saying it’s breech of contract as not satisfactory quality etc under soga I want it repaired. Anyway 2 hours later the manager rang back saying they will send it off to see what’s wrong ie no misuse or liquid damage then they will have a conversation with me, my question is am I entitled to repair or replacement at no cost to myself or do I need to pay anything. What is the next thing I do and what do you reckon John Lewis is will do ?

thanks 

John Lewis Staff failing to know the law...again..

Well the SOGA is no longer and was incorporated into the Consumer Rights Act 2015...follow the link below.....and yes you are entitled to a free repair. 

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/332-the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

Andy

Thread title updated

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Andyorch changed the title to MacBook Air dead after 4 years bought from John Lewis

What date 4 years ago did you purchase the Laptop...pre Oct 2015 or post ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Following with interest, as my experience has been that laptops generally last about 4 to 5 years. Problem with laptops has always been that parts overheat and eventually fail.

If it were possible to get a free repair after 4 years, then I would expect a lot of laptop owners would be really interested. 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just now, Redcar01 said:

April 2015 

Okay so you were correct initially it is the Sale of Goods Act  (Pre 1st Oct)

You have the right to get faulty goods replaced or repaired if it's too late to reject them. You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose to do whatever would be cheapest.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace faulty goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'.

If the seller doesn't do this, you're entitled to claim either:

• a reduction on the purchase price, or
• your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called recision).

If the retailer refuses to repair the goods, and won't replace them either, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair your item, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

You have six years to take a claim to court for faulty goods in England, Wales

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

As a rule of thumb a laptop would probably need replacement after say 5 years, as it might not be able to run OS and software upgrades due to higher specification of hardware needed for new versions.  Laptops having fewer discrete components than a Desktop mean that a component failure say graphics chip, or other I/O mean repair is uneconomic assuming the board is still available.

However, the expectation for a Mac is higher, so is worth a punt

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Perhaps if the OP could expand and quantify what " Dead " actually means......no power ?   wont boot ? 

Is it a power pack or battery problem ?

And a daft question but you have checked the fuse to the power supply ?

Is there a small light on the power supply pack normally there is to show there is  power running ?

When I have had this issue, the battery refuses a recharging and without a working battery, the laptop has refused to work. Is this possible ?  Was the battery the original and recent recharging has led to limited battey life.

And the light on your connector comes on ?  Have you tried removing the battery for 5 mins and then reinsert and then try the PSU ?

Okay well at least you have exhausted the obvious...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5401470

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8203328

"Can you start up while holding the CMD+R keys?

If yes: after full start in the Recovery Partition (a very slow start up), select DiskUtility from the menu, select your boot partition Startdisk, then select the FirstAid Button, and let it run, it should end with "appears to be OK" (if different, do it again); after it ends with OK, quit DiskUtility, then select (re)Install macOS from the menu: this downloads the complete macOS (as you have it on your mac), then installs it and restart after the install (it will let not touch your user data), this will take some time."

Seems this one had a little success.....

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/173857/Completely+dead+MacBook+Pro,+won't+turn+on.

If the above fails then refer back to post #8

£200 is because the life expectancy of a laptop is 5 years, so £200 represents 1 years worth of use still left ?

If the repair is more than £200, then it won't be a repair.  Most likely, they will then give you £100 possibly in vouchers towards buying a new laptop.  If you want cash and not vouchers, that would be another argument.

So what was wrong with it ?

Not very good for a 4 year old very expensive over priced laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Anyway I went and bought a new 2019 MacBook Air, my mistake as I should have gone to Apple as they do  a free repair under CRA for 6 years.

I took £200 off John Lewis for compensation towards the new one that's why I bought another from JL

sent old one off for repair to a competent business who fixed it same day for £150 it was a capacitor  that had failed so it needed fixing properly not a new board and psu