New conservatory problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm very sorry. It must be very frightening.  phone 999 police immediately and tell them that you are an elderly widow with medical problems and that you have a builder banging on your door at this very moment.

What is the name of the firm please and what is his name

I suggest that whatever you do, you do not open the door.  You should record everything that happened get your phone ready right now and start recording.

What has happened please

Sorry I came a bit late on this despite the invitation. Hopefully you're ok after the builder's visit.

First thing first:

Claiming of being fensa registered is very misleading, unfortunately fensa don't take rogue builders to court for using their name as far as i know.

In reality a fensa certificate is a useless piece of paper.

I always used fensa registered fitters, but never in my life i was asked to produce a certificate.

An ill fitted upvc window or door is easy to spot, that's why I suppose nobody cares about fensa but the homeowners to keep this piece of paper in their file.

Anyhow,  saying that they are registered when they're not is enough to terminate the contract without paying them

Point 2: water dropping on conservatory roof strictly speaking complies to the very loose regs, however,  it's very bad practice. 

I hate to see spouts onto roofs, they make a mess and create a moss area, just horrible.

All for the sake of some guttering and downpipe.

In your case I understand that it is now too late to fix this without dismantling the whole conservatory; amateurs error not to take proper measurements BEFORE start building. 

Point 3: covered air bricks. 

This is a potential disaster.

Point 4: dirty patio. Everything can be cleaned with the correct product and tool, most likely they're too lazy to do it and are rushing to the next "job"

At this point I would employ a surveyor/building control official/qualified builder to inspect the work.

For something like this I would charge around £200, but my prices have always been too reasonable,  so expect to pay up to £350/400.

The report should highlight all defects with pictures and remedial work suggestions.

Once you have this you can tell the builder to fix everything. 

In reality he's not capable, otherwise he would have done it right the first time.

So you'll probably end up employing someone else to fix the job

Unfortunately this will cost you more than anticipated. 

Anyway well I have to say that a lot of effort has been put into helping @momma with this problem and some others became very worried last night when we were told that apparently a builder was knocking on the door at about 8 o'clock at night.

@momma has been back and visited this thread this morning and yet we have had no news and I'm afraid that I find it rather discourteous to people who became quite justifiably concerned about what was going on last night.

I had been back, but unwell after last nights fiasco as I did not sleep and could not formulate what I needed to say to you. I am sorry that you think I was being discourteous. I certainly was not, and would have though that under the circumstances you would have been more understanding and given me some time to come back to you. I wholeheartedly appreciate your help so far.

I had to email the builder to stop harassing me as phone calls went on during the night.

Speak to the police and get a crime number who are going to interview him and meanwhile gave the advice to write a polite email in the format of cease and desist, and speak to MyBuilder who took a full statement regarding this guys actions. They are also no going to interview him with regard to his aggressive and intimidating actions and also about his false claim to belong to FENSA.

They asked what I would like to happen to him, and I stated that I would like him removed from their website. They are considering this as it is possible they will take this action. 

I have also had to phone round to get someone to agree to come out and at least look at the guttering to see if they can do anything to improve it, or sort it meanwhile as he has also cut a hole in the external part of the soffit in which as well as the rain is pouring down the wall and conservatory side, is running internally in the soffits.

It is all a bit too much for me I am afraid at the moment. I am waiting for the gutter company to come out, and trying to get a conservatory company to come and give a report, both for myself and the builder but also MyBuilder who wants the reports as well as the crime reference number.

That is all I can tell you for now. 

I also came back as I needed to print of the advice so far.

Edited by momma
extra info

Thank you for the update.

I understand that you have issues but frankly a quick post saying that you are now okay would have been appreciated by people who are taking an interest in you.

We don't ask for any money here – and we really get very little – but we become personally invested in the stories people tell us and very often in the people themselves.

That means that – we care.

I know you care otherwise you would not interact with me, but to say by the end of it I was so traumatised I could not even call either of my children who only live 2 miles away.

They had unsealed my letterbox to put their hands through probably looking for a door key, and then went down the drive and were bashing or kicking a panel between the garage and conservatory to try to get into the back as he has keys to the conservatory still. He did not leave them when he left.

I have just finished a police report and they will, within the next 48 hours go and see him and his wife.

Sorry, but very tired and tearful. I need to go and rest for a while.

Well I'm sorry to sound unsympathetic – but if you give us a fright like that again, then I think that we are owed at least a couple of words of reassurance. You did visit the forum last night after 10 o'clock and again twice this morning

Have you written the letter that we have suggested including the snagging list, the questions over their FENSA registration, insurance – et cetera?

Also, I asked you yesterday for the name of the company and I think that you should now tell us. I have held back from asking you which is against my normal practice because it generally speaking helps a great deal to have people's names exposed on this forum.

However, I now think that it is in your interests that you tell us exactly the name of the company you are dealing with.

I would also suggest that you now call out a locksmith and have the lock of the conservatory changed. I would suggest that you do this immediately.

Other than as I explained I visited this morning to print of the advice. Don't remember visiting it twice other than to do that. I also explained that I couldn't get a coherent report to post, and I was dealing with priorities that needed dealing with before I came back and explained what I could to you.

Last night? don't recall than to shut down computer and forum may have been refreshed during this time.

I have to say, that at this moment and last night if I accidentally visited the forum, my needs and feeling come well above your need to know what is happening. I hope you never find yourself, extremely unwell and subjected to that abuse and feel that your first priority is to contact a forum rather than think about contacting your family and taking care of yourself.

You haven't addressed my question as to the identity of the company