Will getting a credit report trigger debt collectors?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1656 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Back in 2008/2010 CAG pretty much saved my life - not joking! 

My story is fairly typical

- got into too much debt, lost job, got caught with all sorts of dirty tricks with debt recovery agencies

- found CAG, got help, fixed some things, more dirty tricks and bullying from debt collection agencies and then after issuing lots of SAR's things went quiet.

We managed to get agreement from our lender to rent the house while we tried to sell it and went to live with my mum and stepdad in Spain and try and re-start. 

We have managed to scrape by, (anyone who thinks running off to the sun is easy let me guarantee you are wrong!) I was chased by American Express who issued an RMA to bankrupt me but at the last minute didn't

one of the credit card companies managed to convert a credit card into a CCJ and then a second charge so when the house did sell that took the equity.

Another CCJ we made an arrangement with and paid off. 

Move forward to the present.

Stepfather has passed away, am in the process of finalising a divorce with my wife (trying to remain friends and mostly that's ok) and mum who is 83 has deteriorated in help and needs memory care among other things which is a challenge anywhere in the world but as a Brit in Spain more than it would be back home, so I have to come back so she can get additional medical help.

All that builds up to the following questions if anyone can help answer please I would be enormously grateful...

.I still have kept proof of posting etc for the SAR's.

Over the years, much too late to do much about, odd letters from agencies have popped up

- nothing for a few years now and might be invalid/statute barred anyway but I haven't attempted to reply.

I don't know what my credit file is like and of course when I come back to the UK I will need to fix a bank account etc.

Anyone who has been in trouble will understand the horrible bombardment of dozens of daily phone calls chasing debt, the dread of the postman, the sick feeling watching a stranger walk up the garden path....I am terrified of going back to that hell again even without a job, assets or a home for them to seize anything, I can't bear the thought of all the harrassment again.

Today I checked out whether I had CCJ's at my old and my mum's address using TrustOnline as it seemed to bypass the Credit Reference Agencies and was effectively straight to the source. No CCJ's were registered and there was a comforting little Green Box ticked in the pdf file they sent. But, I know the information on that report is quite limited when it comes to things like defaults etc.

My big question is, if I register with Experian or Equifax or some other agency will that 'Kick Off' notifications to credit companies and start me being persued again?

I do understand things are what they are but any thoughts or help

- guidance would be massively appreciated.  

Hi and Welcome back 

All explained in the following link...the myths the truths warts and all.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Well, I took the plunge and entered mum's UK address which is my last registered address in the UK. Experian wouldn't open an account because they said information mismatch? Clearscore said that I did not have a credit file and should take up some credit to get started!!? Now I am really confused!!

If anyone is interested in what happens next I am going to keep a record of who and what comes out of the woodwork over the next few months. For now I have re registered on the electoral roll. I will also try and open a bank account in a month or so. 

you should never run from debt even if abroad

just write any tell them of your address

before you know it you'll have a string of backdoor CCJ's you know nothing about.

you should be ok now

how long ago were your last payments?

on those that didn't attain judgements etc?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Last payments were around 2009. The last time any sort of letter showed up was about 3 years ago to my knowledge but only received by me a year after it was written as hung onto by my sister. 

I haven't managed to open a bank account yet but made progress in what they required so will try this week. 

Thanks for responding.

At the time maybe I should have gone bankrupt in hindsight but before I left it pretty much all stopped after asking for the SAR' s.

I had settled what I could prior to that. 

Then after a big gap I started to get random debt agencies picking up on a few, irrespective of saying there were outstanding SAR requests they came and went and I did inform them where I was living overseas which is why Amex went for the RMA and then suddenly stopped. 

You are of course right about running away.

Seriously the whole thing gave me real depression which is something I only thought happened to other people.

It has taken me all this time to get back to a place where I think I can take a deep breath and deal with it both for my sake and my mum. 

I will keep a log.

What happens might prove relevant to others and I can't see anyone else has kept one although a lot of people seem to have similar stories. 

Thanks again

everything will be well statute barred now should any pop out the woodwork.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...