• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

parking ticket was face down ****Won Appeal***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son has received a local authority parking fine as his parking ticket was face down on his dashboard. 

When he received the second notice through the post he appealed against it and advised that as the parking ticket had no sticky part to it the ticket had obviously blown over at some point

- he sent copies of both sides of the ticket to the local authority which proved he had a valid ticket but his statement was rejected and now he must submit a formal appeal.

The photo evidence from the local authority shows that the ticket was clearly on display - just the wrong way up.

Does anyone have any advice on what to say or how to approach this in his appeal.

Thank you.

A short, polite explanation is always best. Be a little apologetic and importantly, include an image of both sides of the pay and display ticket. Say that you had paid the due fee and were not seeking to avoid payment.

I think that's your best bet - no guarantees of the outcome, but those sorts of appeals ssem to get further than things like, "I demand forthwith that you provide by return, copies of the CEO's notes and evidence that he is fully licenced under section blah... blah... blah..."

now there are precedents regarding the failure of the sticky bit on the back that wouild help your son enormously but conversely there are plenty of leading determinations about face down tickets as well so he will have to show why  the council carries some responsibility. If the ticket has a reference number on the back as many do then they know he paid and that ther ticket is valid even if the CEO couldnt tell what time it expired.

Was it a car park on on street parking? the terms may well be considered to have a different weighting for the order they appear on the parking meter an so the arguments around paying the prescribed fee and the back of the ticket having a reference may well nullify their contractual term

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

I did try to be nice in my original refusal to pay - pointing out that the ticket could be seen on the dashboard intheir photo but it had turned over and mentioning that the fact it had no sticky side to it my son was not totally to blame as it could have been an 'act of god' out of his control. 

The car was parked in a council run car park - I have asked him to send me a photo of the notice by the machine.. The ticket did have a number on both sides - I attach a photo of each side - is the number on both sides one they could use to identify it being a valid ticket?

Thanks again for your advice - it is really appreciated.

69347804_381472212782167_7958544046954119168_n.jpg

69153036_1039124506294474_7465828714471751680_n.jpg

On 28/08/2019 at 21:08, lounick said:

When he received the second notice through the post he appealed against it

but his statement was rejected and now he must submit a formal appeal.

Please could you clarify where the appeal is up to. You said he received a "second notice" - normally he would get a PCN, not long after he parked, then four weeks later, a Notice to Owner.

Can you clarify whether he has already had a Notice to Owner, and whether he has appealed since then, and had that appeal rejected.

If so, next step is adjudication rather than writing another appeal.

Hi - Thanks for your email.

I have checked the letter and you are correct - we have already appealed against the Notice to Owner and this has been rejected and the letter we have now advises we pay £50 or appeal to the Parking Adjudicator online. It then mentions costs. I am not quite sure what this is or the costs involved so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

In my original appeal I highlighted how the valid ticket was on the dashboard but face down and how their was no sticker part to the sticker so my son could not securely place the ticket in his car and it was not in his power to ensure the ticket did not move whilst away from the car.

Many thanks,

Lisa

If you do appeal to the adjudicator (and I think I would) I'm not sure I'd mention anything about the ticket possibly "moving whilst away from the car".  By all means mention the lack of adhesive so he couldn't stick it to the windscreen, but why would it turn over while he was "away" from the car - did he leave the windows open?

I would suggest that it must have moved because of the draft caused when getting out of and opening/closing the car door.  And I might add that because the ticket has printing on both sides (don't you hate those adverts!) it's confusing and not immediately obvious when checking after closing the door that the ticket has not flipped over.  (I'm not sure how far you can say that this did happen as opposed to must have happened.  Why would your son go to the trouble of paying for a ticket and then not display it properly?)

I don't suppose the number on the back of the ticket is legible in any of the council photos?

Hi

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I will appeal to the adjudicator - if I lose do I have to pay more than the £50 fine?

I will use the points/advice given :

the ticket did not have a sticky part to it.

it was valid and my son was not trying to avoid paying

the ticket was clearly on the dashboard 

my son placed the ticket correctly - i will emphasise that the printing on both sides of the ticket - particularly the numbers written on the back of the ticket make it very confusing when checking through the window screen that it is not displayed the correct way up.

Once again thanks for all your invaluable advice and help! it is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

if you appeal to the adjudicaor then you will have to pay the full penalty iof you are unsuccessful. No other costs involved.

try and keep away from mentioning draughts etc (read up on overturned tickets or tickets blown from dashboard and try and push the bit about the ticket serial number was visible, you paid the prescribed fee and provably so and that the matter should be considered "de minimis". Now go and read and photograph the igns at the meter and see where the clause about the ticket being visible is mentioned. If it is not perfectly descrinptive or is condition number 13 out of 13 points then it isnt that important in the eyes of the council anyway or it would be in big writing or point 2 i the list.

There are precedents for this so again you wil have to trawl through a load of applicable cases to find the golden nugget

• 2 months later...

HI

Just to let you know that I have won my appeal against this ticket!

A few reasons given - my son did his best to display ticket correctly. The ticket was not easy to read due to advertising on back. Ticket was not adhesive so could not be stuck to windscreen. Ticket did have number on both side which could be used to check that it was valid.  And the displayed council information did not include the words 'at all times' when stating that the ticket must be displayed correctly.

• Like 1

• Andyorch changed the title to parking ticket was face down ****Won Appeal***
  • 2 weeks later...

DITTO

sometimes you wonder why the council wastes money resisting such appeals. I had a similar PCN some years ago in Cranleigh and the council cancelled as soon as I told them I held the ticket and would be appealing. They asked for the serial number and that was that.