At fault despite dashcam footage and.....

Strider440
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1691 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bottom line up front

Have gone to renew insurance and told i have a fault claim on my policy from last year, I had an accident last year, the other driver was at fault, I had dashcam footage, there were multiple witnesses, he was prosecuted by the Police, but somehow the insurance company have decided it was my fault and now my premium is more than double at £700, for a car I barely use now having moved house.

The other driver tried to claim injuries from my insurance, solicitors got involved, I had interviews with them and then once the Police made their decision I was told it was basically all over.

My renewal is due in a few days, I think they'll drag their heels and try to bully me, I won't be bullied, I may end up cancelling the insurance altogether and walking/cycling instead.

What options do I have with this situation? I'm really angry as this is their f**kup and I have to pay for it.

Speak to claims and find out why it is noted as fault. It might be an error they can resolve with underwriting. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ok, I contacted them (which was difficult in itself), they confirm it's a no fault claim, BUT it seems to be on the national database as being my fault, which means wherever I go i'm going to either get screwed OR declined........ I'm not sure what I can do, i've got a few days only, probably going to have to take my car off the road until it can be resolved.

sorry I meant to say more ...... 

It will be marked as fault until your insurers either get an admission of liability, or reclaim their losses, mark the NCD as allowed etc.  It will vary from insurer to insurer. 

If you pay an increased premium due to the claim stating fault for now, you will usually be reimbursed the premium increase upon the admission of liability, it's worth checking with them if you do go ahead, or any other insurers you take a policy out with   - as you don't have to stay with the same one . 

I know this is not that helpful, my only other advice i can give is to question if your insurer has done enough to secure the liability admission,  make a complaint, say you feel this has gone on for long enough - go to the FOS if needed,  if they havn't acted as they should it may change everything,  and if it really is a case that the third party is arguing the toss (people do, even in the face of evidence) at least you know they are on your side. 

My experience is that the claims team are really quite helpful, but the sales/renewals people are reluctant to budge, so I wonder if it's a case of they only give a damn about meeting some sort of sales targets.
They probably think they have me by the balls, think I can't go anywhere else, but if they blank me i'll cancel the insurance, take the car off the road and then threaten to charge them for transport costs, as well as contacting the ombudsman if they don't fix the issue.

I wonder how I go about getting my record changed to reflect the truth of the claim........ Because that's the real issue stopping me shopping around.

Edited by Strider440

Claims team of the underwriters will have noted it as fault. Claims need to update the record, if they are able to do so.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ok, it's all gone tits up....... From tomorrow I have no insurance, car is being taken off the road, been told it'll take 5 days to update the claims record. SO now I have to SORN my car, totally screwed up situation.

If you have had confirmation that they will amend the records on the database, go ahead and purchase insurance declaring the accident as no fault.

Otherwise you could sorn for a few days until it's updated.

You can sorn online in a couple of minutes.

Thanks all, car is now sorn, cannot tax for 5 working days, got an official email from the insurer today confirming the claim status, so I can get insurance sorted now with something official as backup, the  broker needs to amend their records or ill be going elsewhere.