craigten

Can’t find employer on Companies House?

Good morning.

How concerned should my friend be that he can’t find his new employer on Companies House?

It depends. Is his new employer a Ltd Company? a Limited Partnership? A Partnership? A sole trader?.

You are an established poster here, and it seems there is often a 'backstory' to an initial 'simple question'  post.... why not give us the details and raise the actual issue, rather than leave us working to work out the details and issue(s).

5 minutes ago, BazzaS said:

It depends. Is his new employer a Ltd Company? a Limited Partnership? A Partnership? A sole trader?.

You are an established poster here, and it seems there is often a 'backstory' to an initial 'simple question'  post.... why not give us the details and raise the actual issue, rather than leave us working to work out the details and issue(s).

Blimey, did I upset you??

No ‘back story’ as such, just that he usually has a snoop on Companies House to see any info about his employer but can’t find this new one so was concerned and I thought I’d ask you guys.

Well, you still haven’t answered regarding the nature of his employer’s company, so I don’t know how people can advise you on how concerned he should be!

Its a bit like asking “I just bought a new TV and they said it has a 5 year warranty, should I be concerned?”

a) Bought from John Lewis, on credit card, while they are offering a free upgrade to the warranty to 5 years : not at all concerned

b) bought out the back of a van in a pub car park for a fraction of its retail price, “cash only” : Yup, be concerned.

Sometimes, the details matter. The nature of the employer’s company will determine if it should be registered on Companies House or not.

Cut out the middleman : get him to post here himself.

• Haha 1

Apologies. They manufacture swimming pools in the U.K. I’m afraid I don’t know the difference between limited Companies, limited partnerships, etc 

A manufacturer of swimming pools doesn’t affect if they are a Ltd Co, Ltd partnership, partnership or sole trader.

it matters not if you know the difference between them but if you can’t tell us which his employer is : again, a good reason to get him to post here himself, so he can provide the info that will enable people to answer him.

A simple spelling mistake gives no exact results on companies house. 

Also, many companies trade under a trading name which is different from the registered name,  although I think they should state this on their paperwork and website. 

For example, I could trade as "Builder's bum" and be registered as "Bob the builder limited".

In my paperwork I would put "Builder's bum is a trading name of Bob the builder limited"

have to agree with kingy, playing grandmothers footsteps with this has garnered you no useful advice and nor can it.

the fact that you dont know the difference between a LTD, PLC, LLP or sole trader means that you are not in a position to say anything useful to your friend even if we knew what the status of the business was

ASK your friend for the name and address of the business  and also the name of the top dog if known, looking up directorships held can clear up a lot of problems with companies trading under different names to the legal entity.

If you have asked the friend all of thsi and they dont know then they arent that bothered anyway really