Thameslink - Only Paid For Part Of Journey

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

As my name suggests, I have been a really silly person.

I was on a Thameslink train and only bought a ticket for part of my journey. The Revenue Officer talked to me, obtained my details and I signed a form stating that I didn't have the right ticket for the journey.

I am so so worried about being prosecuted and am deeply embarrassed. In fact worried isn't the word, petrified is a better word 

I have no idea what happens next or what the likely outcome is fine, prison etc?

I would be delighted if someone could give me an idea as to what I am in for in respect if a likely outcome and process.

Talk about being an idiot and learning the hard way. Lesson has been learnt today, I promise.

Thanks

SB

Edited by Sillyboy2019
  • Like 1

Thanks HB, much appreciated. Although not prison is a criminal record likely or is it typically a fine? 

Yes, first offence. 

Does the process take long, just wondering I long I can expect this to hang over me. 

await IF a letter comes.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

3 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

People should be along later to advise, but forget about prison, this doesn't happen for rail fares.

Prison isn’t even a possibility unless:

a) they successfully prosecute under the Regulation of Railways Act (RRA) 1889 s.5 offences (requiring intent, rather than ‘just’ the Bylaw 18 offence of failing to show a ticket)

(which is part of why - in general - you [or anyone else posting] should tell us what the letter says, if /when you get one) The other part of ‘why’ is for the RRA offence they have to prove intent

b) it’d have to be a 2nd or subsequent conviction under the RRA.

So, put aside thoughts of prison (but don’t risk it again!)

Not every time, I believe, but of course we have no way of knowing which cases they might let go. A letter can take up to about six weeks to arrive, it depends on the rail company [TOC].

If it's a journey you do regularly, you could look into buying a season ticket to show good faith.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

After a worrying 3 months I have just received a 'Notice of intention to prosecute ' letter and need to reply within 14 days. It also references their intention to take this to the Magistrates Court.

The details of the offence are:

...did enter a train for the purpose of travelling on the railway, and upon inspection at LB; did not produce a valid ticket entitling travel.

Can you advise on a suitable response to GTR. 

I am really worried, it talks about criminal record and prison sentence etc.

Thanks

SB

so you've not been reading up here in the last 3mts then?

you don't get sent to prison for a silly one off mistake

there are numerous threads here with the format of a letter that you can base a suitable response upon.

one of which is:

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

for a one off offence!! very remote unless your OOC settlement begging letter falls on death ears or is lacking in some way.

dx

and they

How about this as a response:

Dear Fare Evasion Manager,

With regard to your letter dated 18 November, I would like to sincerely apologies for purchasing the incorrect ticket for my journey. 

This was an oversight on my part and one which I am very embarrassed about.

I can assure you this will not happen again and I would like to offer to pay the difference in fair as well as the administrative costs incurred by GTR.

I apologies again for the inconvenience caused. 

Regards 

Should I go in to more detail if this is tok short and missing the point ?

Thanks

“It was an oversight” seems a bit vague....

If you admitted more when interviewed it might be seen as you now trying to minimise the offence and not fully accepting responsibility.

So, it also depends on

a) the circumstances (what really happened?), and

b) what you said had happened at interview .....

I would use the format and sentiments of that example imho

yours is very brief ..

dx

and they

I agree with dx. We  normally encourage people not to waffle, but your letter needs expanding on and some more detail of what happened on the day, I would say.

We also suggest buying a monthly or longer season ticket to show good faith, if you're a regular traveller.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I apologise profusely for my actions in this case. I pride myself on my integrity and honesty and I feel shameful for my moment of very poor judgement. As the sole income earner for the family (my wife is on maternity leave), a criminal record would be devastating for us as my employment relies upon a clean criminal record.

On the 22nd I was travelling to London Bridge and needed to connect at Three Bridges. When purchasing my ticket in the morning I only bought a ticket to Three Bridges by mistake.

I made a bad error and I am just so sorry for my actions and the inconvenience caused to all involved.

I am happy to make immediate payment of the unpaid fare and any incurred costs that my mistake have caused.

I would appreciate your consideration and I sincerely hope that you can show some leniency as an criminal conviction would impact my employment and ultimately being able to provide for my family.

Regards

I cant offer to get a monthly ir annual as I only travel a handful of times per year.

That still leaves it unclear if:

a) you “made a mistake” and accidentally bought the wrong ticket (only to Three Bridges), or

b) You had a “moment of very poor judgement” and deliberately bought a ‘short ticket’
It can’t be both.

Climb off the fence you are sitting on, it’ll give you splinters............ at the moment you are trying to hedge your bets but it is obvious that is what you are doing, and as a result: why should they believe the rest (expressions of regret, won’t do it again, sole income earner who will lose their job, etc.)

Edited by BazzaS

it would be extremely rare for someone to get a criminal record off of one matter of poor judgement even if you obv intended to defraud.

everyone is allowed to make poor decisions during their lifetime and learn from a gracious let off not to be so ….stupid again.

and they

I would say b covers it nicely

dx

and they