Hi All,

I wanted to find out if an employee can be dismissed on the spot during probabation because the company is not doing well financially even of their performance is good.

From what I've read on CAG then sadly it seems to be very easy to dismiss someone who's been there for less than two year.

I expect people with more knowledge will be along shortly to advise you. In the meantime you could have a read of the ACAS website.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

If you are in a probationary period I guess you haven't been there very long - less than 2 years? If so the answer is probably yes they can dismiss you. Certain exceptions but none appear relevant from what you've posted. Incidentally, you've titled the thread "Failed Probation" but what you describe doesn't sound like you personally have failed anything. It sounds like redundancy, the employer needs for financial reasons to reduce the number of employees doing whatever work it is that you do.

When you say 'on the spot' do you mean with literally no notice nor any pay in lieu of notice? The employer must comply with any notice periods in your contract. If you have been there for at least a month the notice period must be at least one week. If you are entitled to one week's notice the employer is though entitled to pay in lieu of notice, ie require you to leave the premises immediately but include an extra week's money in your final pay. See ACAS guidance here

https://acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4096

12 minutes ago, Ethel Street said:

If you are in a probationary period I guess you haven't been there very long - less than 2 years? If so the answer is probably yes they can dismiss you. Certain exceptions but none appear relevant from what you've posted. Incidentally, you've titled the thread "Failed Probation" but what you describe doesn't sound like you personally have failed anything. It sounds like redundancy, the employer needs for financial reasons to reduce the number of employees doing whatever work it is that you do.

When you say 'on the spot' do you mean with literally no notice nor any pay in lieu of notice? The employer must comply with any notice periods in your contract. If you have been there for at least a month the notice period must be at least one week. If you are entitled to one week's notice the employer is though entitled to pay in lieu of notice, ie require you to leave the premises immediately but include an extra week's money in your final pay. See ACAS guidance here

https://acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4096

Hi, Thanks for the reply. It was in lieu, I guess I called it failed probabation as I was told that I could be dismissed due to being on probabation. It was strange as the feedback was really positive but the conpany said they don’t have enough money coming and and can’t justify keeping my role going, yet they hired a new employee two days prior (in a different role)