Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • ok well next time never use email esp when entering into what seems like pointless letter tennis on your behalf.?when you had no real need to reply to them in any manner or form.   it only encourages them you are a mug and gives them a free way to intimidate and harass you by email.   get some kind of records from saas/slc on what they believe is your current status as they do still do the Adminmost of these loans .      
    • ignore ...yes its not a letter of claim from a solicitor with their client being the Uni. until/if you get one of those pop back here.   no-one can add anything to any debt ...so can't increase it.   nothing to do with 'credit' but yes ofcourse you can request and they will have to produce all paperwork inc how they dealt with your dispute if the time comes and they move to court.   redwood or harwood are good names to put in our search top right in the red banner.        
    • Someone that specialises on the subject might be a better way to put it. 
    • Vauxhall's parent company has previously said its fate depends on the government's commitment to the car industry. View the full article
    • Apologies I hadn't seen that uploads need to be in PDF.   I have received the attached letter from STA which I assume is a standard letter as I've never spoken to them on the phone. I'm not sure what they mean by 're-commence recovery action'? Do I just continue to ignore them?   I have been in contact with the Uni who insist I need to pay the fees as I left the course after the first three weeks. They have not provided any evidence/documents that I signed an agreement to pay the fees or that I acknowledged that fees would be due if the course was left early. They referred me to their website which undoubtedly has changed since I was there.    I appreciate I shouldn't reply to STA however I'm not sure how to proceed with this overall.   I've read the claim form page and I'm not clear if I can request a copy of a credit agreement from the Uni as I'm not sure if its standard for a University to have required a credit agreement to be signed?    I'm not really clear what happens next and at what point I need to act. I've read about lots of different cases (fee related and non fee related) but can't find information on a case that is similar to mine. Do I wait until the Uni begins a formal action? I am concerned as I don't want the amount to increase from the already significant amount they are demanding.     Many thanks for any help you can offer.  staletter.pdf
  • Our picks

    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
        • Like
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Fail to comply with solid white line markings

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 531 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts


I've just been sent a road traffic notice for 'motor vehicle fail to comply with solid white line road markings.


I've been given 3 choices

£100 fine + points

£90 course which would mean a day of work (self employed)

Go to court and defend it.


Now I'm usually not one for breaking driving laws, I've had a clean license for 30+ years but it could have happened.


There was no photographic evidence included in the letter and I'm seriously thinking of going down the court summons route if only to see what evidence they have.


My question is, do they have to supply me with the photographic evidence if I request it before deciding which option I will choose?




Link to post
Share on other sites



You only get to see the evidence if you plead not guilty and go to court.


You can ASK if the evidence helps identify the driver if they have sent the keeper a S172 request to ID the driver (but if they have, DON’T miss the deadline to provide your reply!)

Edited by BazzaS
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already admitted I was the driver. 


I think I'll go for the court option, if they do have photographic evidence I'll plead guilty.


Thanks for your speedy reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ll still get some credit for a guilty plea, but not as much as pleading guilt at the earliest opportunity. There is also the chance your penalty will be more severe by having had the court’s time taken up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'll go for the court option, if they do have photographic evidence I'll plead guilty.



I understand that but I'm an old fashioned person who still believes in ' innocent until proven guilty'


Then be prepared to get your cheque book out.


You will be served with the evidence the prosecution intends to rely on to convict you when you receive notification of court action. This will almost certainly be in the form of a "Single Justice Procedure Notice" (SJPN). They have six months to begin court proceedings and in most areas take all of that. You will be given three options:


1. Plead guilty and have the matter heard by the Single Justice (a hearing which you cannot attend).


2. Plead guilty and opt for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court (a hearing which you can attend).


3. Plead Not Guilty.


If, after viewing the evidence, you decide on (1) or (2) you will be sentenced in accordance with the sentencing guidelines. These suggest a fine of half a week's net income (maximum £1,000, reduced by a third for a guilty plea). You will also pay a surcharge of 10% of the fine (Minimum £30 - or £32 if the offence was committed on or after 28th June 2019) and costs of £85. You will also receive 3 penalty points. So you can see that the costs and surcharge will exceed £100 before you consider the fine.


If you choose (3) you will have to rely on either (a) the prosecution being unable to prove its case or (b) successfully rebutting their evidence. The cost of failure here is high. You will obviously lose your one third discount for a guilty plea and the costs will increase to as much as £620.


You can see that you "old fashioned" approach could cost you dearly. But you takes your choice and pays your money  😪  (or hopefully not  😀).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:37, Lucky2004 said:

I understand that but I'm an old fashioned person who still believes in ' innocent until proven guilty'



Unless you are absolutely certain you did not commit the offence and you want to stick to a "principle", opting for the course is probably a no-brainer.  Going to court will be more expensive whether you win or lose (especially if you are self employed).


Opting for the course is not the same as saying "I'm guilty" any more than is returning the s172 (which you've already done).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/08/2019 at 14:28, Lucky2004 said:


There was no photographic evidence included in the letter and I'm seriously thinking of going down the court summons route if only to see what evidence they have.


My question is, do they have to supply me with the photographic evidence if I request it before deciding which option I will choose?


Are you assuming there is photographic evidence, or has it been mentioned somewhere?  I ask because it would be perfectly possible to be charged and in fact convicted without any sort of photograph or video, for example if the allegation was backed up by witness statements.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes your alleged misdemeanour could have simply been witnessed by a police officer who then reported the matter for action. If that was the case the evidence against you will be his statement. If you want to challenge his recollection of events you will have to ask for him to attend court so that you (or your representative) can cross-examine him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

If it was a traffic officer good luck with challenging his memory or version of events.

If I were you I would do the course, some insurers dont count it as a conviction and as for a day off work- being self employed you have full control over what work you do or dont do so you cnat really be said to be losing money and you may actually find it useful.

I did a speed awareness course soem years ago when I was clocked going through a camera when I was actually at home but rather than challenge their camera's clock and radar calibration ( yes I went through said camera earlier in the day at a different speed to that stated). The course was relaxed and the other people a pleasant group. We were fed and watered and most of it was jsut refreshing people about speed limits for types of vehicles on different types of road and none of it was judgemental. All in all it was like going on a first aid refresher course rather than a punishment

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...