Arrested for shoplifting Rlp received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1689 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter from RLP asking for the collection of £1,654.00.

Over a number of months I shoplifted from Waitrose following a number of miscarriages.

I stole items which I passed on to charities.

I was completely stupid, got arrested, admitted to it, they have the relevant evidence,  and luckily no charges were given.

To pay the fine, I am hoping that they will allow me to pay in installments as I can not afford to pay all in one go.

I am concerned though that this is not a proper company and that they will be taking it for themselves.

What should I do?

By "arrested, admitted to it, .... and luckily no charges were given", was this arrested by the police or detained by the store staff?.

The advice is don't pay RLP. Why I ask is that sometimes people worry that if they don't pay RLP the police will become involved (they won't, but people still worry about it). If the lpolice have already ∫een involved, that is further reassurance that no further criminal action will follow.

RLP may threaten civil action, but since they got defeated in a landmark civil case, they are just empty threats (providing this wasn't theft by a member of staff, but shoplifting by a member of the public)

I don't condone shoplifting (before someone says that saying not to pay RLP is somehow condoning shoplifting!), but I condone RLP even less!. Have you been to see your GP about the issues that might have brought this about?

They called the police, I was taken to the station, and I admitted to it all which they recorded on tape. They had a list of all the items, dates, etc. They were concerned about my mental state and I also talked to the therapist in the station which helped massively. I went to the doctors the next day and have since been put on antidepressants, and attend CBT therapy.

The last thing i want to do is get in trouble again. I am back on track with working full time, children, etc. This feels like a risk in not doing anything!

all good then

simply ignore RLP totally

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yup, ignore RLP.

The police have been involved already: even if RLP hint at involving them (which they shouldn’t hint!) it is an idle threat, as the police have already been involved and the matter is closed as far as they are concerned.

That just leaves RLP (and their threats!), which are a paper tiger. They won’t take you to court, after the Oxford case, where their claims for a variety of costs fell flat. I haven’t heard of them taking a single shoplifting case to court since.

If you need further reassurance; just check all the threads on here.

So, ignore RLP. The only thing you shouldn’t ignore is an actual court claim form (which isn’t going to happen, but even if they were daft enough to try : just come back here and it can be batted away!)

Good for you for seeking help from your GP and getting yourself back on track. Don’t worry about RLP impacting on that : not going to happen.

Edited by BazzaS
  • Like 1

Yes, congratulations on seeing your GP and also on coming here for some practical support.

Do you feel that the amount of money which is being claimed reflects the amount of items which you took and which have not been returned? Do you feel that there is an over value or an undervalue?

• 3 weeks later...

The store wont see a penny of the money even if you do pay up, RLP sell snake oil and part of that is peddling the idea that you giving them money makes the world change its behaviour.

It is not a fine and if waitrose want to recover their losses they can do so directly via their legal dept but even then they cant just ask for the retail value of the missing stuff, just what it has cost them.

Ignore RLP, the police have made a decision not to prepare a prosecution and in my view under the circumstances this is a correct decision. Waitrose may not be overjoyed at that but they dotn gte a say in the matter and the reality is that they wont chase you themselves because it will cost them  than they are likely to recover so they have washed their hands of the matter and will let RLP tell you their porkies because they have bought into the idea that somehow Jackie has a panacea