Nextdoorscat v HSBC

Nextdoorscat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello fellow reclaimers.

I'm about to start reclaiming an estimated total of £640 of bank charges applies to my student HSBC account. Don't worry I 'll do all the sums properly before I do! But before I start I have a question:

I have a £2,000 overdraft on the student account, which is just about at the limit, and is likely to be so until I finish studying next year. Last week I opened a Halifax student account, hoping for the equivalent interest free overdraft, but I actually got just £500, meaning that I couldn't actually close the HSBC one and switch accounts, and also if HSBC close my account, I have no back up. Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you.

Nextdoorscat.

From experience (which is limited) very few banks close the accounts after one claim. They refund with a nice letter that says, in effect, that any further breaches of contract, i.e., charges, and they reserve the right to withdraw banking facilities - a right they have at any time, but rarely actually exercise.

Claiming a second time for any further charges (something I may have to do with Halifax, actually) would increase the probability in them closing the account.

So, in your situation, its unlikely they'll close your account. Can't speak for definite tho, unfortunately. Other than applying for other student accounts with other banks (something which will go on your credit file as a 'search' will be noted each time you make an application, and the more of these there are, the worse it potentially looks) I'm not sure how else to remedy it were they to actually close the account.

Any one else have any ideas?

Halifax: FULL REFUND

_________

Lloyds TSB: FULL REFUND

HSBC Current Acct: FULL REFUND

Capital One (three accounts); GE Money (Mothercare); GE Money (Burton):

Getting round to sending off first letters...!

• 3 weeks later...

I've now added up my student account charges, and it comes to £715. Blimey! However, three of these are for £10 (subsequent charges on the same day). Do I include them?

Just have to calculate the interest now, but I'm a little daunted by that as I'm not quite sure which spreadsheet to use.

Also totted up my First Direct charges, but really should be studying right now!