Business Rates Paid, Bailiff Wants his Fee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I was in arrears with business rates to Rushcliffe Council but entered into a repayment arrangement with them.

It ran a bit late but I did make all the payments.

Just after we had made the last payment we received a letter from Bristow & Sutor seeking the payment and a fee.

I tried to use their web system to advise them of the debt having been paid but it did not recognize me.  I then sent an email to the only email address I could find for them which happended to be their MD or similar high position, trusting to luck that he would forward it to the right department of his firm.

A few weeks ago a Bristow and Sutor Bailiff came on site to collect the arrears and their fee.

I advised him it was all paid up and we did a hands free call with the Council Finance department who agreed that our account was up to date with no arrears and could not explain to the Bailiff why he was sent.  He then went away empty handed.

I have recently received a letter from Bristow and Sutor demanding their fee.

I take the view that as I have paid and without the intervention of B&S that no fee is due.

Can anyone advise me on any next steps and in particular what to do or say to the B&S agent if they call again?

In particular what are my rights in preventing him from seizing goods to pay his fee if he should try that?

Many thanks

Ask the council when and why the account was sent to the bailiff

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 3 weeks later...

The situation regarding when fees can be charged is. The first fee(compliance) of £75, is due from the moment the Bailiff receives the court order from the creditor.

The enforcement fee of £235 is due on the first visit to your premises.

It sounds to me like you paid the remainder of the sum due to the creditor in the period between them sending the order, and BS processing it.

You need to continue with the creditor. Put this scenario to them, they should really remove the fee. 

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Thank you for your post.

In post 2 Brassnecked suggested I write to the Council which I did.

I had a reply from them only very recently where they said they had recalled the account from the Bailiff.

The Bailiff having visited was, prior to this intervention, seeking £75 not the higher figure.

At the present time it seems the Council has intervened and my problem is over.

Thanks to all.

• 3 months later...

I would like to add to this thread.

Unbelievably the Bailiff returned and attempted to take his fees again.   At that time I was with my fellow director and we confronted him and told him that under no circumstances were we paying him anything and that he was on a hiding to nothing.

At one point he tried to enter into a payment plan with us (for a relatively trivial amount of the fee!!), such was his desperation.

He then went away giving us 24 hours!?

I wrote to the council again this time as a formal complaint.

The bailiff phoned back a few days later to see if we had changed our minds.  I told him we had complained to the council about both the claim and the poor Bristow and Sutor Website.  He said, "OK as long as you are not ignoring it" .

The council responded with an apology and said that once again they had called off B&S.

We have heard nothing since.

I presume that this is finally it but you never know.

Looks like Bristols & Stupor are lapsing to their pre 2014 muppetry. Hopefully all is resolved now the council have intervened again.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

There was a recent ruling where the judge criticised the bailiff for being to keen to enforce, and not bothering to check if the judgement/lo had been paid. Cant remember the citation at the mo.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS