prang

car accident

Hello

Advice required please.

I had an accident and reported as information only (no claim as yet)

I was hit in the rear and its been deemed no fault to me and will not affect my NCD and the excess will be waived. (but as i say no claim as yet)

I had the car assessed by my insurance - its roadworthy and not a write off if I have it repaired (which does surprise me) OR I can take the value of repair costs and then walk away.

What do i do?

Whatever you prefer.

If you can live with the damage, for example a dent which doesn't compromise the integrity of your car, then you could take the money and save it for rainy days.

Otherwise if the damage must be repaired, let the insurance pay for it.

Your call really.

Insurers don't make cash settlements generally and insist that they only way they will settle is payment to the repair garage.

Suggest you have the repair done, as if another car hits you in the back, they will say the damage was already there.l

Also it can happen if you are unlucky. Someone in a car park sees your damaged car and makes a false claim, that you reversed into them.  Seen examples of this where a car drives into another parked car and then drives away. The damaged car owner then looks for another car with damage and takes a note of the reg no. 

Further, until a garage works on your car, you won't know whether there is hidden damage not seen by Insurance assessor. 

A few possible reasons why a repair is advisable.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

A look around any area in the outskirts of london would find thousands of scraps being driven around. 

Sometimes people prefer to keep the damage because other inconsiderate drivers keep on scratching and denting cars.

I gave up on fixing my right front wing when for the 3rd time i found it dented in a car park.

It's been dented since.

On 15/08/2019 at 16:52, king12345 said:

Whatever you prefer.

If you can live with the damage, for example a dent which doesn't compromise the integrity of your car, then you could take the money and save it for rainy days.

Otherwise if the damage must be repaired, let the insurance pay for it.

Your call really.

Forgive my ignorance but the repair quote is %73 of the car value the assessor also gave me so why is it not a write off if I claim? 

Also if I take the repair 'cash' will the no fault claim affect me in future in terms of renewal price either with my current insurer or elsewhere? 

I don't know why the insurance would give you cash instead of insisting on repairs.

most likely they don't want any trouble with botched repairs and by giving you cash they wash their hands off.

As you said, it's 73% of car value, so why would they write it off and give you more money? (100%)

Your premiums for the next 5 years (3years for some insurance companies) will be higher, doesn't matter if it's your fault or not, if you claim or not, they hike your price as soon as you report anything that they consider an accident.

This includes cases of small touches, no damage no claims from anyone, but they still charge you more and you must disclose.

Don't you love insurance companies???

Posted (edited)
On 17/08/2019 at 20:29, king12345 said:

I don't know why the insurance would give you cash instead of insisting on repairs.

most likely they don't want any trouble with botched repairs and by giving you cash they wash their hands off.

As you said, it's 73% of car value, so why would they write it off and give you more money? (100%)

Your premiums for the next 5 years (3years for some insurance companies) will be higher, doesn't matter if it's your fault or not, if you claim or not, they hike your price as soon as you report anything that they consider an accident.

This includes cases of small touches, no damage no claims from anyone, but they still charge you more and you must disclose.

Don't you love insurance companies???

Surely if I claim, the cost of getting insurance next time has to be more than if I had only reported it as an accident?

Are you saying it would be higher by the same amount if claiming or not?  It is just plain wrong. Why on earth would one report it as an accident? Its clearly flawed.

If thats the case I may as well just raise a claim!?

Edited by prang

Exactly. 

In my experience the difference between a notification only and a full whack claim with personal injury is very little. 

Same for fault or non fault accident,  very little difference. 

Keep this in mind, insurance companies are not your friends, they're there to make money.

27 minutes ago, king12345 said:

Exactly. 

In my experience the difference between a notification only and a full whack claim with personal injury is very little. 

Same for fault or non fault accident,  very little difference. 

Keep this in mind, insurance companies are not your friends, they're there to make money.

Anyone else have an opinion on the cost of getting insurance in future if I do/do not claim and just leave it as information only?

What is the advice, pitfalls to be aware of if I try settle this privately or direct with his insurer?

Sounds like the third party Insurers have accepted fault and anything you claim, will be reimbursed to your Insurers by the third party insurers. So you should not have any no claims discount reduction.

it is then a question about risk loading to your policy, which is an extra amount as you are seen as a greater risk. You may call it being unlucky being hit by another car, but Insurers think your bad luck is on balance likely to continue. Sorry for the bad news !  

Ever heard of the saying about bad things or bad luck happening in threes. Statistics suggest that one accident can often lead to further accidents. It just happens this way.  I have known a number of people say that they have had several accidents in one year, when they had no accidents in 30 years of driving.  

As a guess, your premium may increase by 10 to 20%, plus the Insurers normal rate increase. This may happen for the next few years, but may be less if you qualify for any more no claims discount.

Make the claim and ensure that your Insurers make the recovery from third party, so your no claims discount is not reduced

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

16 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Sounds like the third party Insurers have accepted fault and anything you claim, will be reimbursed to your Insurers by the third party insurers. So you should not have any no claims discount reduction.

it is then a question about risk loading to your policy, which is an extra amount as you are seen as a greater risk. You may call it being unlucky being hit by another car, but Insurers think your bad luck is on balance likely to continue. Sorry for the bad news !  

Ever heard of the saying about bad things or bad luck happening in threes. Statistics suggest that one accident can often lead to further accidents. It just happens this way.  I have known a number of people say that they have had several accidents in one year, when they had no accidents in 30 years of driving.  

As a guess, your premium may increase by 10 to 20%, plus the Insurers normal rate increase. This may happen for the next few years, but may be less if you qualify for any more no claims discount.

Make the claim and ensure that your Insurers make the recovery from third party, so your no claims discount is not reduced

What is the advice, pitfalls to be aware of if I try settle this privately or direct with his insurer?

You have already notified the insurance, so settling privately won't change anything. 

Your insurance shouldn't sustain any cost as explained by unclebulgaria.

As he said, just make sure they recover the costs from other party insurance and you keep your ncb.

Unfortunately it is not possible to avoid a price hike for the next few years, I have been there and it's extremely frustrating,  but nothing anyone can do about it.