Lowell claim form - old EON utils bill ***Claim Discontinued***

smith winston
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all 

I could do with some advice / input on the following:

I also have a Lowell claim pending for an old eon account - they must have bought a large batch of old accounts data and are now trying their usual bully boy tactics...

This refers to an old utility account taken out in 2010, 2 or 3 addresses ago

The amount claimed is £550 + interest + costs

I received a letter before action prior to receiving nccbc claim form

Lowell sent a NoA supposedly from Eon - it was on Lowell paper (sideways print in the margin) with Eon's logo and signature cut-n-pasted on it

I have not received any Default Notice from the Eon, nor annual Notices of Default

Originally, Eon setup 2 separate dd's for gas & electric. In 2011/2012 I tried to switch suppliers for better prices. Eon contacted me and told me that I could not switch supplies due to the contract terms. I accepted this and instructed them to reinstate both dd's. They only reinstated one of the payments. I contacted them again and was assured that the second dd would also be reinstated. Around this time my business and relationship were both failing and I didn't notice that the second dd still wasn't reinstated

I do not remember exactly when the last payment was made on this account, but I think it would have been in June 2013 when I moved from that address.

There is nothing on my credit report regarding Eon or Lowell

Claim form dated 09-jul-2019

POC:

POC: 
1.The Defendant entered into a supply and service agreement with Eon energy solutions under account reference XXXXXXXX ("the Agreement") 

2.The Agreement later ended but a liability remained outstanding for payment 

3.The Agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on XXXX2018 and notice given to the Defendant 

4.Despite repeated requests for payment the sum of £XXXXX remains due and outstanding 

5.And the Claimant claims 
The said sum ……. 
Interest pursuant to s69 ……. 
Costs

I wrote to Lowell asking for documentary proof of the validity of their claim, asking for copies of  the original agreement with Ts&Cs, DoA (redacted to protect 3rd parties) , NoA, statements, Notice of Default and any other documents they intend to use. I cited the CPR31.14 and GDPR 2018.

The next day I realised I had not formatted my letter correctly, so sent them an official CPR31.14 request also requesting their agreement for additional time to file my defence, followed by a Part 18 request for the items not listed in POC. I also sent a GDPR 2018 request to Eon specifying all the relevant information I need for my defence.

The MCOL online system would not let me log in (error messages) I contacted the nccbc who confirmed its a real claim. I emailed my acknowledgement of service and notified the court that I had requested information from Lowell and for their agreement to add additional time to file my defence. Nccbc replied they had received no further communication from Lowell and the deadline to file my defence was 12/08/2019 and file a defence purely based on the POC

I have received a response to my first letter to Lowell :-

they cannot request a copy of the original agreement due to CCA1974 rules

they will not send me DoA in any form due to commercial sensitivity & confidentiality

they sent a copy of a "Revised Final Bill - estimated dated 01-08-2014" but NOT any statements or a default notice

they sent a copy of Lowell's NoA on the reverse of a slightly different supposedly Eon NoA ( same cut-n-paste signature but no pasted logo)

they have ignored everything else I asked for or referred to in my letter

They have not responded to my CPR31.14 or my Part 18 requests

Eon have not responded to my GDPR 2018 request.

Now I need to file my defence...………..

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell claimform - old EON utils bill

say you you left the property in june 2013 and that was probably the last payment.

they've produced a bill from aug 2014 for £550? 

what period does that bill say it covers.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ideally you should have submitted your defence Friday by 4.00pm (due Sat 10th)...so it must be submitted by 4.00pm tomorrow without fail.

CPR 18 is not applicable to small claims track and the debt is not covered by the CCA1974.....hence no default notice or notices of default.

Also they are not at liberty to disclose the DOA...only the NOA

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

thanks for your quick replies.

Lowell have sent me a "Final revised bill - estimated" dated August 2014

it does show a specific period - it shows balance before this bill as 550, balance in march 2014 as 550, and balance due as 550

it doesn't show when the last payment was made

I think it was june2013 I moved - could have been july.

OK.

I was given to understand that at this stage there is no specific track for the claim, so a cpr part 18 is valid until a track has been allocated by the court in PD ?   

I also read that they never allow access to DoA for a claimant, but being subject of the assignment its worth asking the question.

I'm just about to post my draft defence -  if someone can pick the bones out of it that would be really appreciated

No thats a myth...its assumed SCT pre allocation ..CPR 18 is not applicable

Sure fire away

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

eon cant issue a bill more than 12mts after the last one 

backbilling rule applies

no debt to answer IMHO.

and even if there was it must be statute barred.

why haven't you spotted this??

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok guys,  heres my defence draft,   any/all advice appreciated

IN THE NORTHAMPTON COUNTY COURT (CCBC)

Claim No:

BETWEEN:

Lowell Portfolio 1 Limited CLAIMANT

And

DEFENDANT

DEFENCE

1. I received the claim from the Northampton County Court

dated 09th July 2019.

2. Each and every allegation in the Claimants’ statement of case

is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3. This claim appears to be for a domestic utilities supply

agreement.

4. The Claimants’ statement of case fails to give adequate

information to enable me to properly assess my position with

regards the claim.

5. The Claimants’ statement of case states that the account was

assigned from Eon Energy Solutions to Lowell Portfolio. The Defendant

does not recall receiving an authentic notice of this assignment from

the original creditor - the version provided by the Claimant appears not

to be an authentic document from the original creditor. 

6. The claimant is put to strict proof that a notice of assignment

was issued in accordance with the Law of Property Act 1925.

7. On the 18th July 2019 I sent a request for information and documentation to Lowell Solicitors. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the contract / agreement (the “Agreement”) between Eon Energy Solutions and the Defendant, terms and conditions of said contract, the Deed

of Assignment, the Notice of Assignment, Default Notice, statements of the account, and all other documents or date they intend to use as evidence.

8. On the 21st July 2019 I sent a request for inspection of

documents mentioned in the Claimants’ statement of case under

Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Lowell Solicitors. I requested the Claimant

provide copies of the contract / agreement (the “Agreement”) between

Eon and the Defendant, terms and conditions of said contract, the Deed

of Assignment, the Notice of Assignment and of the

Default Notice.

9. On 21st July 2019 I sent a subject access request to Eon Energy Solutions under the General Data Protection Regulations 2018 for information related to the Defendant and the said supply and service agreement. I requested true copies of the original contract / agreement, along with its terms and conditions, statements to show usage and payments against the account, the notice of default, notice of cancellation/termination of the account, notice of assignment, and any notes, memos, transcripts on file related to the account.

10. On 07th August 2019 I received a response from Lowell Solicitors. The Claimant refuses to provide a copy of the original contract /

agreement ( the “Agreement”) and is refusing to request a copy from the original creditor.

11.Lowell Solicitors have provided copies of the Notice of Assignment, and a copy of a “Revised final bill – estimated” from Eon energy Solutions dated August 2014, but have not responded to my CPR 31.14 request, nor have they provided any other documents that I requested

12. Eon Energy Solutions have not responded to my subject access request under the General Data Protection Regulations 2018.

13. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a

money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any

allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved

unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore It is

expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation

that the money is owed as claimed.

14. I believe the last payment made by the defendant to Eon Energy Solutions was prior to July 2013. Under the Limitations Act 1980, any liability of the defendant against the said supply and service agreement would now be Statute Barred. The unwillingness of the Claimant to provide the documentation I have requested only serves to confirm my belief that the alleged liability is beyond the 6 year time limit.

15. I request the court orders the Claimant to provide the

necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case

else the Claim should stand struck out.

16. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the

Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and

would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

17. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as

claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are

true.

I believe the last payment made by the defendant to Eon Energy Solutions was prior to July 2013.

Do you know the date in July 2013 ?

phone EON and ask?

dx

and they

I've been digging through some old boxes of papers, trying to nail down a date.

I screwed up somewhat !  I now know I moved out in July 2014

I cant find details of a last payment to Eon, but I have found gas n electric bills for Npower showing ongoing supply in March 2014.

I think I had left Eon by end of June 2013 but I cant be sure.

should I remove the statute barred part of my defence?

and is the overall format of the rest of the defence ok, considering that I will have to email it as I am unable to login to the MCOL system.

“Revised final bill – estimated” from Eon energy Solutions dated August 2014

"  but I have found gas n electric bills for Npower showing ongoing supply in March 2014."

I think I would be doing some phone calls early tomorrow to get your facts correct

Your point 13 is irrelevant to the claim and has no connection to the claimant.

Point 13 -  thanks, I hadn't spotted that.  (in case it wasn't obvious, I copied a similar defence and adapted accordingly)

I'm really nervous about leaving my submission any later than tonight. I'll be on the road almost all day tomorrow and cant guarantee getting back in time to file by 4pm.

is it best to leave  the SB element out ?  Under cpr31.14 I thought they had to provide all their evidence on request?

I'm really sure that it is SB - if I left that part in and they come up with some paperwork to contradict my belief whats the worst case scenario then?

you cant mix anything with a claim of SB.

it either solely its SB'd or do not inc that.

gather your data tomorrow

it wont hurt to file late you are a litigant in person and are given certain leeway.

i'd much prefer to see our std holding/ no paperwork defence used too.

I pers don't like that defence you've suggested at all.

one thing to remember about all these util bills sold to DCA's of recent.

why didn't the util co do it?

they pump out CCJ's like tomorrow

so there must be a reason why not on this one.

pers I think its got something to do with the more than 12mts between the last real bill and the revised bill.

back billing rules clearly state they cannot claim anything back outside of 12mts 

and if there is no actual usage by you in the 12mts prior to the date of the revised bill...IMHO you owe nowt

and thats why EON sold it on.

just musings

and they

3 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

i'd much prefer to see our std holding/ no paperwork defence used too.

I pers don't like that defence you've suggested at all.

Thanks.

Do you have a link for a template of this defence ^

makes sense now that it would either be SB defence or not

CPR 31.14 can only request documents referred to in their particulars of claim.

The Defendant entered into a supply and service agreement with Eon energy solutions under account reference XXXXXXXX ("the Agreement")

The Agreement later ended but a liability remained outstanding for payment

The Agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on XXXX2018 and notice given to the Defendant

Despite repeated requests for payment the sum of £XXXXX remains due and outstanding

Your defence puts them to strict proof to which you already cover in your point 13. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) 

Andyorch - Its been a long day, I'm not quite sure I follow you here.

I did notice that the POC mentions the Agreement, and that Lowell Solicitors tell me they can't/won't provide it, and can't/won't ask Eon for it because under CCA1974 the OC isn't required to keep it.

Which I thik is a fairly good defence in itself.

But I'm not following the bit about point 13.

utils bills are not credit so are not covered by the consumer credit act.

one of the many mistakes you've made rather than coming here earlier...…...

and they

I agree, Ive made many mistakes. I get that utilities are completely different to banks etc.

Is it not just a basic principle that if they make a claim based on an agreement or contract and they cite that agreement/contract in their POC they should have that document or at least access to it?  

there isn't one as such

you signed nothing..

and they

OK dx100uk.

I know I didn't have computer or internet in 2010 when the Eon contrac started - I did everything on paper

I'm not sure where that leaves me now - if theyre citing an agreement that never actually exists....does that help me because I cant be bound to a non existant contract, or would the court assume that using and paying for 3(ish) years I agree by default?

Am I better to amend the following to suit my case ??

Defence

1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature.The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2.The Claimant has not complied with paragraph 3 of the PAPDC ( Pre Action Protocol) Failed to serve a letter of claim pre claim pursuant to PAPDC changes of the 1st October 2017.It is respectfully requested that the court take this into consideration pursuant to 7.1 PAPDC.

3. Paragraph 1 is denied. Whilst I have had dealings with Barclaycard  in the past I cannot recall the specifics of the alleged agreement.

4. Paragraph 2 is denied .I have no knowledge of who the claimant is nor have I been provided with any Notice of Assignment pursuant to the Law of Property Act 1925.

5.Paragraph 3  is denied.I am not aware of service of a Default Notice by the original creditor or Legal Assignment the claimant refers to within its particulars of claim .

6. It is denied that any amounts are due under any agreement.

7. On receipt of this claim I requested information pertaining to this claim from Howard Cohen & Co Solicitors by way of a CPR 31:14 request sent via 1st class recorded post on 17/07/2019.Further to the above I sent Hoist Finance UK Holdings 3 LTD a section 78 request via 1st class recorded post on 17/07/2019.

To date, neither Howard Cohen nor Hoist Portfolio are yet to furnish me with the requested information .

8.Therefore with the court’s permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to

a) show and disclose how the Defendant has entered into an agreement;

b) show and disclose how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed for;

c) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a Default Notice pursuant to Sec 87 (1) CCA1974.

d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

9. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

10. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer crediticon Act 1974.6.

By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

no that's a card CCA defence.

dx

and they

in a way you are the 1st

lots of recent threat-o-gram threads but no actual claims for these till you and one other running here

i'll see what I can do bearing in mind what I think.

i'll post it up for the morning then andyorch can poke holes in it as legal is not my game...he's the expert.

but yes it will encompass many of those points.

probably a mobile phone one with adaptions.

dx

and they