Ginni1062

International Debt Collectors! (Credit Limits International LTD)

Hi any advice would be much appreciated.

I got offered a job in Australia from the UK.

the deal was they paid for my visa upfront and when I got to Australia and started work I would pay them back out of my salary weekly.

I didn't even sign any contract regarding this.

I went to visit the company in Australia on a recce before I packed up my belongings and family consisting of 3 children all under 5.

When I got there the job wasn't the job that I was told and the manager was an idiot. 

When I returned home I emailed the company explaining I won't be taking the job offer or the visa.

They have told me I owe them £8500. 

have ignored them as I didn't sign anything regarding paying this back. 

The Australian company have now passed on my details onto a debt collector in the UK called Credits Limits International (CLI) Is this not breaching GDPR?

They keep sending me letters that I keep ignoring, now I am on my final notice with interest adding each time?

Today 10/08/19 I have received a letter stating that as they haven't heard from me they are going to carry out a doorstep visit!!

Any of you advice would be much appreciated. 

Regards,

Ginni

CLI are not proper debt collectors, as I don't think they have any FCA licence to conduct debt collection.

All CLI offer is a suite of letters, which creditors can use to chase debts. CLI simply post out the letters and pass on any monies received.

Safe to ignore them, as they cannot do anything. Any doorstep enquiry agents they probably won't be sending, have no powers. They simply ask if Miss Xxxx lives at the address and would they like to pay a debt.  You simply say nothing and close the door. They would not bother to return.

If the Aussie company want to pursue this, they can instruct UK Solicitors to issue a UK Court claim, as you are resident in the UK. Before the alleged creditor can issue a UK Court claim, their UK Solicitors would need to send a letter to you, advising you they would issue a Court claim.

If you never agreed to any terms regarding the costs of the Visa, then there does not appear to be any basis to a Court claim.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi unclebulgaria,

Thanks for the response,

I will continue to ignore CLI, the only agreement I had with the company was that I would pay the money back when I started work and it would come out from my weekly salary. Obviously I never started work for the employer in Australia and I never signed any agreement regarding paying the visa money back.

plenty of threads here about the fleecers

moved you to the overseas forum

just type CLI in our search top right

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Hi dx100uk,

Thanks for reply, I have had a look at the other links regarding CLI. I will just keep ignoring.

Hopefully nobody comes knocking on my door.

Hi Ginni,

Glad to see you started the thread and have useful input.

If no contract signed between you and the potential employer, they and CLI have little or no chance of pursuing any claim against you so safe to ignore for now.

However, I'd be inclined to write to CLI saying you require sight of any contract signed by you that confirms you owe anything to the alleged creditor. ........

...... and in the absence of such contract, you will pursue CLI for harassment.

But if others think totally ignoring CLI is the best course of action, do that !

😎

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I can see why someone might write asking to prove a contract existed, but I have a feeling that CLI will just pass on to the Aussie company.

It might then lead to letters being received including copies of emails, letters etc, where the Visa application, plus the costs of the application was being discussed and how the costs would be repaid.  

Although a written contract may not exist in one document, the communications about the Visa application costs and repayment, plus the OP's acceptance could be considered a contract.  As the OP does not reside in Australia, there is nothing stopping the Aussie company instructing UK Solicitors to issue a UK Court claim to attempt to recover the alleged debt.

It is whether the Aussie company are willing to incur a lot in legal costs and risk losing in Court.  The CLI process is a cheap way of trying to recover a debt, simply by paying costs of sending letters. If the CLI process does gain any response, the decision is with the Aussie company, whether they spend any more money to try to recover the alleged debt.  Replying at this stage might encourage the Aussie company to continue, by sending copies of communications which they will state do form a contract.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for the advice unclebulgaria,

The thread of emails only states that I will pay the visa money once I start work and that it would come out of my weekly salary. How does that stand in court as I didn't start the job?

That would be a question answered in a Court.

it would be difficult to argue that you had not agreed to repay the Visa costs . You would point to the fact that the Visa was subject to you actually starting work and repaying the Visa cost via a wage deduction. 

If there are no terms stated in any communications about repaying the Visa, if you did not start work, then I would think that the Aussie company would fail with any Court claim.  

I don't think you want to get into any communications through CLI. You could simply respond directly to the Aussie company, just confirming that you reside at the UK address and if they feel the need to communicate with you, that they can write to your UK address. Don't say anything else about Visa or work issues. The letter is simply confirming your UK address for any communications. This just records that you have confirmed your UK address and can receive correspondence at the address. That you are happy to receive their communications and are not ignoring them. You just don't get into any discussions regarding any alleged debt.

Hi unclebulgaria,

Thanks for this information and advice.

Maybe I will email the company stating what you have said, that way I haven't been ignoring them. Thanks again for the info and advice.

Just give your uk address

and advise your email is not to be used for any further communications letter only and they will all be blocked

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Hi guys,

Just received another letter today from CLI stating that the client has instructed CLI to proceed through the courts in order to collect the debt unless I pay them within 7 days (even thought I haven't signed for this outstanding money and the agreement was I would pay it back once I started working for the company).

What are my next steps : /

Await a court claim...see if it actually materialises. 

• Like 1