• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell Claim form - Provi Doorstep Loan online signup.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I've received a directions questionnaire from the court.

My understanding is I send a copy to them and a copy to Lowell solicitors.

But Lowell will have my telephone number and email. Is it acceptable to make a copy with just my name and address for Lowell?

I don't want them contacting me.

Should I be sending these recorded?

Thanks.

Leave you personal contact detail off the Lowell copy.

Normal postage should suffice but get a receipt.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received a letter from Lowell along with a Tomlin order.

They state they will use it against me to show it could have been settled without going to court.

They seem to have contacted Provident who advised them they have not upheld my complaint. 

It also states I should reply within 14 days.

Should I proceed to wait for mediation?

Can I dispute any of the docs they sent to me?

Lowell-Tomlin-Order_compressed.pdf

I've been reading further and it seems I could negotiate the balance if agreeing to this order. I'm trying to identify the strength of my case as I'm really unsure. If there is slim chance of winning would this be a better option?

pages 6+& have name

page 13 has ac numbers

removed upload

std begging letter they send on all claims if you read like Lowell claimform threads here.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Hello, small update on my case.

A default appeared on my Experian file last month.

The dates shows it was last updated in 2017 but the default only appeared last month.

It also shows account settled on 28/02/2017.

Does this suggest I made a payment or does this mean they sold it?

Obviously, no payment was made so I'm wondering what this is about.

I have queried the default with Experian.

I keep monthly screenshots of my account so I know for sure it was placed last month.

Can this hurt or improve my case?

I'm currently waiting for allocation at court.

Mediation called and asked if I wanted to make payments and I said no, they then said it was not suitable for mediation.

default.png

irrelevent

so you've not had your n157 Notice of Allocation from the court yet?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

strange

just as a check

what does mcol say with regard to the status of the claim?

and they

no local courts can be very slow depending upon case loads.

as long as the org claimform had your correct and current address on it, it's just the above.

and they

A claim was issued against you on 30/07/2019

Your acknowledgment of service was submitted on 31/07/2019 at 18:14:49

Your acknowledgment of service was received on 01/08/2019 at 08:05:52

Your defence was submitted on 30/08/2019 at 23:17:46

Your defence was received on 02/09/2019 at 01:06:05

DQ sent to you on 27/09/2019

DQ filed by claimant on 27/09/2019

You filed a DQ on 23/10/2019

Your claim was transferred to BIRMINGHAM on 14/11/2019

• 6 months later...

open

and they

Thanks for re-opening my thread.

I received NOA in December '19 with a hearing date on 28 July '20.

This morning I received a letter from Lowell. 

The NOA states the claimant has until 30 June to pay court trial fee.

The letter I received from Lowell advised I need to make full payment by 25th June so I'm assuming they will proceed with court if I refuse contact. They sent Tomlin order also.

I intent to go all the way but my question is,

will I be requested to make a witness statement or is this something I should have done already?

A little confused about this based on what I've read. 

I've had a look at a few other threads and found this one encouraging 

Lowell_Final_Request.pdf

if you have a court date

the letter will also state the date you both must exchange witness statements by..

have another read of page 2 

as for the Lowell letter, std gumph they send to every defendant.

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't give me a date. It does state within 14 days. I received claimant witness evidence from Lowell today to my email. Should I be creating a witness statement and emailing to the same address? I've attached the document Lowell sent. Can you let me know what you think? I'm not feeling optimistic about this. Thanks.

xxxxxx_-_Claimant_Witness_evidence_-.pdf

NOT IT DOESNT STATE WITHIN 14 DAYS

IT SAYS BOTH PARTIES MUST EXCHANGE WITNESS STATEMENTS BY 14 DAYS BEFORE THE COURT DATE I SUSPECT IF YOU READ IT PROPERLY?

opps sri caps 

and they

4 hours ago, baycloves said:

Doesn't give me a date. It does state within 14 days. I received claimant witness evidence from Lowell today to my email. Should I be creating a witness statement and emailing to the same address? I've attached the document Lowell sent. Can you let me know what you think? I'm not feeling optimistic about this. Thanks.

xxxxxx_-_Claimant_Witness_evidence_-.pdf 3.38 MB · 4 downloads

Yes ...you previously stated the hearing date at post# 40  " I received NOA in December '19 with a hearing date on 28 July '20. "

Therefore you must file and serve by 15th July 4.00pm.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Yes, that is what I meant. 14 days before the court.

I've had a go at a witness statement, taking some ideas from others.

I do believe I may have stated some things that are not true but hope I can be corrected on those.

I've also attached the letter I received from Provident.

I'm not sure if this helps or goes against me.

here's my 1st draft.. I will fix exhibits later.

1) I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income.

As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.

2) On 30/07/19, I received a claims form from the County Court Business Centre, Northampton, for the amount of £369.84. The claimant contends that the claim is for the sum of £369.84 in respect of monies owing under an alleged agreement with the account no  pursuant to The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA).

3) The Claimants pleaded case is that the Defendant entered into an agreement with Provident subsequently assigned to Vanquis Bank Limited under account reference xxx. I am uncertain as to which account this refers to. It is accepted that I have had financial dealings with Provident in the past however I have no recollection of the alleged account number the claimant refers to.

4) In February 2019 I made a formal written request to the Claimant for them to provide me with a copy of the Consumer Credit Agreement as entitled to do so under sections 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Acknowledgements dated 27/03/2019, 22/04/2019 and 06/06/2019 advising the case was on hold. [EXHIBIT x, x & x]

5) On the 21 June 2019 the Claimant sent a response which enclosed a reconstituted copy of the agreement, default notice, notice of assignment Provident to Vanquis, notice of assignment Vanquis to Lowell. [EXHIBIT x, x & x].

6)On xxx, I made a Subject Access Request to the original creditor Provident. Additional information was requested following the receipt of documents. Provident stated an electronic agreement that consisted of receiving a pin would accept the loan agreement electronically. Provident were unable to expand on the electronic agreement only providing an email address they allege I used to accept the agreement with an electronic signature. [Exhibit x]

7) The Claimant particulars stated I entered into a Consumer Credit Act 1974 regulated with Provident Personal Credit Limited on 26/11/2015. The Claimant makes no mention of an electronically signed agreement instead producing an unsigned reconstituted paper agreement.

8. Further to the Subject Access Request submitted to Provident, the notice of assignment produced by the Claimant was not submitted. Provident stated it is not something they would have sent. Although represented as themselves, signed by the head of Provident Central Collections and as the original creditor, they have no record of it being sent and do not have access to the original. [Exhibit x]

9) I deny any communication took place between myself and Vanquis. As the responsibility of the original creditor, no such notice was issued. Notification of a previously unrecognised Vanquis Fresh start was never given.

10) Contained within the claimants particulars the claimant states that the account was subject to assignment from Provident to Vanquis. The claimant states a further assignment to them occurred on 12/06/2017 with notice given. I did not receive either document on any of the alleged dates. 

11) The claimant acknowledges a change of address occurred between the alleged agreement and current address. The claimant states documents were received at both addresses. The claimant cannot prove when change of address occurred and since the claimant would not have issued either notice of assignment, such claims are unsubstantiated.

12) The claimant states that a default notice was issued on 18thJanuary 2017. Upon further inspection, the notice of default provided by the Claimant, is dated 18thJanuary 2017. The payment date requested by Vanquis Bank Limited is by 28th February 2017. The formal Notice of Default that was allegedly enclosed at the same time has a requested payment date by 28th February 2019. The Claimant allegedly took legal assignment of the account on 21 July 2017. Any payments made toward the account is advised to be forward to the Claimant beyond this assignment. (Exhibit x, x)

13) I argue that this is not in fact a COPY of an original default notice, that they state was issued during February 2017, but that this is a fabricated version of a default notice created by Lowell. Either way the default notice was not issued by the assigned creditor (Vanquis).

14) It is therefore contended that the original creditor failed to serve a valid Default Notice pursuant to section 87(1) Service of a notice on the debtor or in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice ”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor of a regulated agreement.

15) Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

LetterFromProvident.pdf

I've tried to include things that I think matter but probably do not. 

I also have the letter that prompted the response from Provident I sent after getting the SAR request docs. 

I tend to get carried away with complaints so won't include it with my statement.

And also, if relevant, the email address Provident gave is one of my old addresses which I still have access to and can see Nov 2015.

I genuinely do not recall any electronic signatures nor receiving a pin.

I have no emails from Provident around the date in 2015.

There is one where I enquired about an agent on Twitter and that's it.

Provident Request.pdf

Can anyone explain this to me contained in Lowell's  witness statement please

The Agreement fixed term expired on 5 May 2016. Accordingly no Default Notice in Consumer

Credit Act prescribed form was required because before the Assignor sought to enforce

terminate or assign the benefit of the Account, the Agreements’  fixed term had expired and

the full balances had fallen due in the normal course of time rather than by operation of any

term or condition providing that early repayment would fall due on default. However, we are

informed a Default Notice was issued on 18 January 2017, a copy exhibited hereto at “RC4” .

Can I add to my statement, the claimant admits having to rely on being informed documents were issued but has no proof when or if any documents were ever issued. 

One last question..

can I respond to points Lowell made in their witness statement?

In my previous response I mentioned I may have stated things that aren't true in my witness statement. 

I meant I may have added things that are not relevant or do not apply such as the original creditor being responsible for issuing notice of assignment etc.

Thanks.

provident have not supplied a witness statement and won't

the claim is nothing to do with them.

neither do provident have to supply a notice of assignment.

this can be done by the assignee on behalf of the Assignor.

and they

One last question..

can I respond to points Lowell made in their witness statement?

You should be responding to every point...that's the whole point of your statement...agree or refute.

With regards to their paragraph re default notice....Its irrelevant whether it was a fixed term...if there was a default in payments during the fixed term..then a default notice must be or was issued.

Andy