Liability order from 9yrs ago to terminally ill father

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for advice for my father. 

He received a letter from the Chelmsford City County Council stating that a liability order had been made against him in 2010 and that he now owes 12,000 for business rates. This was a complete shock as my dad has been paying his rates for his restaurant and had never been informed that such an action had been taken. 

My father was devastatingly diagnosed with terminal cancer last year. Since then he has found it extremely had to run his business, but without an alternative source of income, had to continue though extremely ill. It is heartbreaking to watch. 

This letter has had a profound affect on him. He is so panicked and stressed as to where this has come from and how on earth he will pay this ridiculous amount. He is the type of person who believes the council (in fact all authorities) blindly. He doesn’t realize that there an admin error or that it could be illegal to pursue this after so many years. Always such an upright citizen he is tortured by this demand for money. This should not be right at the end of his life  he should be worrying like this. 

I need to help my dad by having a meeting with the council in the next week. My dad is petrified that the bailiffs will arrive if he doesn’t sort this out ASAP.

I need advice as to how to deal with this. How do I challenge this? What should I be saying to them? 

Surely thete must must be some vulnerability criteria for people who are terminally sick? 

It it would mean so much to me to have your thoughts and advice. 

just remember..LO's don't expire

they at present don't know his condition

but in all honesty this was from a time far prior to today.

your best bet is to sar them and get all the info.?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If your fathers Doctors have issued a DS1500 or letters regarding his current state of health, suggest a copy is provided to the council.

As far as I understand it, a LO has to be applied for within 12 months of the rates/tax liability being created due to non payment.   Which is why it is important to submit an SAR to the council as dx suggested. I would also send a dispute letter advising that the council have made an error and that this must be fully investigated. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

With the council it is likely against their own code of practice to be chasing someone in a state of health such as your father.  GP/ Consultant notes, detailing condition, treatment side effects etc may be enough to get this written off.  

This should be emailed and sent to your local councillor with the elected head of your local council copied in. They should also have their mobile numbers listed in Google, so give them a call today, speak to them, if they don't pick up, leave a voicemail. They are your friends in this situation and it could all be resolved very quickly.

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate all the advice. 

London 1971, good advice - thank you. I’ll see who I can find today and let you know. 

I will ask for an SAR too as it seems completely bizarre where this has come from. 

I have have a meeting on behalf of dad on Thursday with council. Hopefully I can glean more information then. 

Yes , SAR is joint top Priority,

But remember with the local council, your local councillor combined has far more power than anyone you will meet in revenues or collection.