New style ESA, tax credits and UC trigger?

MrsKay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’ve  been searching for some definitive guidance on my upcoming circumstances but can’t seem to find a clear answer.
I’m currently 4 weeks into a period of sick leave from work where I’m receiving SSP plus occupational sick pay, I work part time and claim CTC (I have 2 children) WTC inc the disability element.
My job role is changing and I’m about to enter a consultation period for redundancy, I won’t be well enough to return so will be made redundant whilst on SSP. 
I’m confident that I’ll be eligible for New Style Esa but hope to find out if this will trigger a change to UC?

Some guidance suggests that WTC may be claimed for 28 weeks whilst on SSP OR ESA but I don’t know if this still applies with a change from SSP to ESA due to redundancy?

Failing the above would it be possible to continue claiming the CTC alone and additionally claim NSESA until I’m well? I’m hoping to be back in work soon.

From what I’ve read it seems common that the standard advice is to just claim UC but even though the amount is roughly the same as CTC and NSESA I will be far worse off returning to work especially due to the WTC disability element.

To add, I don’t have any entitlement to HB, a partner or any other income.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Hi,
I’ve been searching for some definitive guidance on my upcoming circumstances but can’t seem to find a clear answer.
I’m currently 4 weeks into a period of sick leave from work where I’m receiving SSP plus occupational sick pay, I work part time and claim PIP and CTC, WTC inc the disability element.
My job role is changing and I’m about to enter a consultation period for redundancy, I won’t be well enough to return so will be made redundant whilst on SSP. 
I’m confident that I’ll be eligible for New Style Esa but hope to find out if this will trigger a change to UC?

Some guidance suggests that WTC may be claimed for 28 weeks whilst on SSP OR ESA but I don’t know if this still applies with a change from SSP to ESA due to redundancy?

Failing the above would it be possible to continue claiming the CTC alone and additionally claim NSESA until I’m well? I’m hoping to be back in work soon.

From what I’ve read it seems common that the standard advice is to just claim UC but even though the amount is roughly the same as CTC and NSESA I will be far worse off returning to work especially due to the WTC disability element.

To add, I don’t have any entitlement to HB, a partner or any other income.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.
  •  

Your situation is really complicated. Do not claim Universal Credit, unless you are told by a benefits advisor that you have to do this. Once you are on Universal Credit (UC), very difficult to change to other working age income based benefits. And claiming UC would lead to tax credit claims being closed.

If you are likely to be eligible for income based ESA, because you could qualify for the Severe Disability Premium (SDP), then this should stop you being eligible for Universal Credit anyway.  If you look at the Gov.uk Universal Credit website, there is something on there are about SDP.  The SDP is available on income related ESA. You can claim income and new style contributions based ESA at the same time, being paid only the higher of the two awards.

Government are in the process of making changes so it may depend on when you need to make changes. There has been a recent announcement about SDP and more changes may follow. It is whether DWP add an extra element to UC for those who qualify for SDP.

How much is your redundancy likely to be ? 

You are strongly advised to book to see a benefits advisor at your nearest Citizens Advice. They can look into your situation and try to make sure you understand what benefit choices are best for your circumstances.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you Unclebulgaria67,

the way I’ve read it, no new claims to Income Related ESA are allowed, though I would qualify for New Style (contributions based) ESA which is outside of UC, if it were income related then I would be entitled to the SDP element though the guidance I’ve read means that I’d never get it as new income related claims can’t happen despite it stating on gov.uk like you said both can be paid together???

My redundancy payment would be very small as I have only worked there part time for over two years.

thank you again very much for your time and knowledge I’m very grateful.

Yes you can claim income related ESA, but only if you might qualify for SDP.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/how-to-claim

Government policy changed a few months ago, as DWP lost a court case. Some information online, is out of date information. Always refer to Government websites and Citizens Advice/Entitledto for more up to date information.  Web searches also bring up results which are old pages of information !

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank you so much. It’s not at all clear on gov.uk

I believe that I would technically be entitled but I have no benefit in payment that it would be attached to ie ESA income based or housing benefit. So it all seems to point to UC alongside ESA new style-in which no such premium exists.

will have a look at the link you posted, thanks ever so much.

I reiterate what I said earier, do not make a UC claim, unless you receive advice that this is the correct benefit to claim.  ESA new style can be claimed as well, but the ESA monthly amount is deducted from the UC claim. So money wise you would not be better off, however, ESA has a different national insurance class it contributes towards.

My understanding is that if you believe you may qualify for SDP, because you have a PIP claim and are noted as disabled, is that you can apply for ESA income related.  Check with Citizens Advice and they should be able to clarify this.