Need some advice on relative on deeds of house/mortgage.

Deimos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1685 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm in need of some advice on what I should do for my current situation
Long story short, I co own a bungalow with my dad and uncle
The uncle stopped paying his share of the mortgage and moved out about 7-8 years ago now and hasn't paid anything since
He struggled to get housing benefit because the DWP saw that he was on the deeds and/or mortgage of this house so wanted his name removing (But he somehow was able to get housing benefit despite this)
So I worked my butt off for the past 2 years to get sufficient income from my self employment to arrange a mortgage, all the while he was promising he would sign any document to get his name off (No mention of money changing hands, he just wants to remove his name)
So I managed to get a mortgage approved through a broker with Natwest, hurray!
We all have to fill in the transfer questionaiire for the equity of course, which I and my dad have done (My dad is gifting his share to me), the forms were sent to the uncle and he promised he would send them off last week (Tuesday or Wednesday)
Well, it's been a week and he hasn't sent them off and I have a feeling he isn't going to do it, despite saying otherwise and me offering compensation for the trouble.
I've sent two emails since then asking if he needs help, but nothing back.
So now I'm short some £1000-£1300 for the all the different fees and solicitors costs and it looks like I won't be able to remortgage after all.

That part is stressful and disappointing enough, but the worrying part is the mortgage we currently have is a half and half one, so only half the mortgage (capital) is being paid off, we will still owe some £75,000 in 8 years when the mortgage comes to an end.
And the uncle will still be on the deeds.
I really don't know what to do, as I understand it from a legal standpoint, there's nothing I can do to force him off the deeds and/or mortgage.
So any advice is appreciated.frown.gif

• 1 month later...

have you tried going round to where he live with your father and putting the document under his nose to sign? If you have other relatives in common drag them along  as well if he has a decent relationship with them.

Many people are happy to do nothing with their lives unless pushed.

Edited by ericsbrother