Sf73

Brit Pensioner Retuning To UK

Hi. My Mother’s wanting to return to the UK after living in Germany for the last 25 years.

She’s been in receipt of UK pension whilst she lived there since she hit retirement age.

She’ll need to claim Pension Guarantee Credit, Housing Benefit and CT benefit. 

As I understand it, there may be a delay before she can receive those benefits after she returns to the UK. 

Does anyone know for sure if that’s correct and how long that delay might be?

I’m wondering if her receiving UK pension already will mean she’s in the system in sum form and will mean that delay doesn’t apply.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

There's information on AgeUK's website about this and on the government one. Maybe someone here has experience of what your mother is doing.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/returning-to-the-uk-after-living-abroad-heading/

I imagine there are expat websites in Germany that have dealt with this sort of question too.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Habitual residency Test for each benefit will be a difficult and delaying process. Only return to UK, if savings available to survive several months or family to help.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread