Hi all..

Today (27th July) I had the pleasure of looking after nephew.

He loves to play coin master on my phone, especially today as I've had a new one.

As it was new I had yet to set up all the notifications until I got home At 10:30pm.

I was shocked to see £330 pound has been Charged to my account in the name of Google Play Apps.

Panic kicked in. Contacted Google. They advised me it was purchases for packages relating to Coin Master. They said that they could refund last two as they were within the last 2hrs but under their digital policy they can not do the others and to contact the app developer.

Rang my brother to let him know as the little one plays same game on his - spoke to nephew (he's still hyper from the snack I gave him b4 bed -- best uncle in world 😂) and he was so upset as he didn't realise he was paying any money it just asked him if he wanted anything and he pressed the green button each time (I'm upset he's upset as it's a completely honest mistake to make)

Tried the app developer - email bounces back as undeliverable. Googled & looked on FB - lots of people complaining about game crashing, paying for items and not getting what was promised but No responses.. (as I was viewing one I even went to leave a comment, but was unable to as the post had them got deleted)

Contacted my bank (Starling) and they have said they can not contact Google or do anything as it's a Civil Matter & I willingly gave my phone to my nephew....   That bit really peed me off.

(I did I ask them the question what would happen if I put my phone I. The security tray at an airport and someone did a contactless payment... They then wanted me to provide the details as they could look into this despite willingly giving my phone -- work that one out.)

Anyway.. is there anything I can do to get this cash back for these in-app purchases.

Who should I contact.

Coin master seems to have the appearance of a Slot machine - surely there is something there as well about paying to play?

Noticed on Google Pay that there is a comment of Digital Content purchases are protected for 14 days,and then another note stating to contact developer and if no response after 14days to contact Google - but then that would mean it's gone past the protection bit?

Your advice is. Greatly appreciated.

OMG, I've just logged into my three account and have £202 worth of charges to Google Play Apps as well!!

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Thread moved to the appropriate forum ..please continue to posthere to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I thought it was longer than 2hrs as well but this is what it says in the Google support site:

If you're in the United Kingdom or Ireland, visit the UK Google Play Help Center.

Get a refund on Google Play in EEA countries

Note: These policies apply only to users located in the European Economic Area and UK, and only to purchases made on or after March 28, 2018. For purchases made before March 28, 2018, or for users in all other countries, learn how to get a refund.

Google does not give refunds for most Google Play purchases unless they are faulty or do not match their description on Google Play. However there are exceptions (see refund policies below.)

If you’ve had a refund request accepted, see how long your refund will take.

Note: This applies to purchases you made on your Google account. If there’s a Google Play purchase on your card or other payment method that you didn’t make, go here.

Two ways to request a refund on Google Play

If the purchase doesn’t work properly or doesn’t match its description on Google Play, you can:

1. Get support from the developer of the app under a warranty they might offer, or
  2. Request a refund on the Google Play website.

Select an option:

Note: Some information related to refund requests may be shared with developers. 

Google Play refund policies

Refund policies are different depending on what you bought. Select a link for more information.

Note: If you don’t take reasonable steps to protect your account from unwanted purchases -- for example, you provided your account or payment details to someone else or didn’t protect your account with authentication -- we usually can’t issue a refund.

As a courtesy to our users, Google offers a full refund on apps and games purchased on the Play Store if the purchase is returned within 2 hours. You can only return an app or game once for a courtesy refund. For other refund requests related to apps and games on Google Play, please read below.

Digital content. Under the law, you have an automatic statutory right of withdrawal from contracts for purchases of digital content, such as apps, games, in-app items, or other media like movies or music. The same applies when you purchase a subscription for digital content within an app. However, when you purchase or subscribe to digital content with Google Play, you agree that the digital content will be available to you immediately, and you acknowledge that, as a result, you waive your automatic statutory right of withdrawal. Therefore, you will not be eligible for a refund (or any alternative remedy) unless the digital content is defective, unavailable, or doesn’t perform as stated.

In the case of a subscription for digital content, if you don’t want to subscribe any more, you can cancel your subscription. You will still have access to the subscription until the end of the period you have paid for.

Update:

Found an email for the developer.

They've replied today stating:

"

We apologize for this inconvenience!

As the purchases were already made and delivered we are, unfortunately, unable to refund them at this stage. However, you may still be able to get a refund from your application platform.
You can reach them through the following links:
Google Play

We'd also recommend setting up Parental Controls on all devices that you own to ensure that this does not happen again."

So it's now back again to Google!

Update 2..

Google now state there is nothing they can do due to their poxy policy.

Only solution they can provide is contact the Developer Or my Bank.

I'm going round in circles here..

Can anyone suggest anything?

recharge by bank. they will be hissy about it but quote the google 48 hour bit and let them thrash it out with google

Bank have said it's Google, so it's a Civil case and are sticking by it unless it was fradulant and then they said to go to police before they can even look into it? This is Starling Bank.

Google are sticking by their policy that states it's Digital in app purchase which has a limit of 2hrs for reclaim. (As shown in above post).

I personally think a lot more needs to be done for these types of purchases as there is no protection.

try contacting one of the newspapers consumer champions. they have address books that stretch a lot further than our influence

I've reached out to my local MP who happens to be the weirdo with the strange hair for Conservative.. No not Boris the other one..

Well the same thing has been reported to him, and he has said he will raise it at his next meeting what ever that means?

but he doesnt work for a large circulation newspaper does he?